GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Visual Style"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 14:46
Regular
What is the initial aspect of a new game that sparks your interest?

There can be many reasons like:
-The overall concept? Reading previews of Grand Theft Auto 3 and discovering that the action takes place in a huge interactive city wherein you can generally get up to no good either on foot or in countless vehicles was intially a big draw.
-The development team behind the game? I'm sure there are many gamers who eagerly look forward to a game simply because "Rare" or "Sega" are behind it.
-The fact that the new game might be an update of one of your favourite titles?
The reasons just go on and on.

But for me personally, the major element that sparks my interest in a new game is the visual style.

In many cases it is the actual style of the graphics that creates originality.
Good examples of this is the cel-shading of Jet Set Radio and the psychedelic wireframe landscapes of Rez.

And when you think about it, how many games just look the same as other previous releases.
The typical First Person Shooter graphics for instance: the clinical facility, the gloomly medieval labyrinths, the grimey factory - it's all been seen a hundred times or more.
The same can be said of Racers, Beat-Em-Ups, RPGs - in fact, any genre you care to mention.

Of course a unique approach to graphical design does not mean the game is going to be any good - gameplay, sound, plot, etc are just as important, that goes without saying.
But in a time when graphics are generally of a good standard, it is the originality of the overall visual look that can really make a new game stand out from the crowd.

In this day and age we are all probably a little guilty of taking good graphics for granted.
In the PSone and N64 era, graphics swayed from being half decent to really poor, but with the arrival of the next-gen consoles, the fear of aweful graphics has been almost completely dispelled.

So in the here and now, what are our expectations when it comes to graphics?
Obviously we want them to be of a certain quality, but I think we also want them to have style, a unique twist beyond the normal: something we haven't really seen before - something that will make us really sit up and take notice.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:40
Regular
I think that Jet Set Radio inspired him and gave him a new idea for Zelda.
Having seen the video clip, it works very well.

The animation and character of the guards is superb.

So long as Shigsy doesn't turn it into some short-but-sweet kiddies game, it'll be great.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What I don't understand is why Cell Shading suites Zelda at all! The actual idea of cell shaing was that it looked like moving cartoon street grafiti, and so suited "street sports" games like Jet Set, and cartoon games like Wack Racers, perfectly.

How that translates to a Zeld agame is beyond me.

What I would love to see would be for Miyamoto to create his own graphical style that would suite Zelda- allowing the fantasy element of the game to become more apparant.

Sonic
Sat 19/01/02 at 13:33
Regular
With Rez and Jet Set Radio, it was definately the unique style of the graphics that first got my attention.
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:50
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
A unique twist?

Kinda like the new look for Zelda!?!

Didn't really go down a treat did it!

Personally I thought the new look Zelda was quite interesting. At first I hated it, but it kinda grew on me.

But most people hated it with a passion!

Why?

Cos it wasn't what they were expecting. People expect things to look a certain way, and are put off by things they don't recognise, or things that just don't appear the way they thought they would.

That's one of the reasons some developers are not willing to take a risk and create new styles!

:)
Thu 17/01/02 at 14:46
Regular
What is the initial aspect of a new game that sparks your interest?

There can be many reasons like:
-The overall concept? Reading previews of Grand Theft Auto 3 and discovering that the action takes place in a huge interactive city wherein you can generally get up to no good either on foot or in countless vehicles was intially a big draw.
-The development team behind the game? I'm sure there are many gamers who eagerly look forward to a game simply because "Rare" or "Sega" are behind it.
-The fact that the new game might be an update of one of your favourite titles?
The reasons just go on and on.

But for me personally, the major element that sparks my interest in a new game is the visual style.

In many cases it is the actual style of the graphics that creates originality.
Good examples of this is the cel-shading of Jet Set Radio and the psychedelic wireframe landscapes of Rez.

And when you think about it, how many games just look the same as other previous releases.
The typical First Person Shooter graphics for instance: the clinical facility, the gloomly medieval labyrinths, the grimey factory - it's all been seen a hundred times or more.
The same can be said of Racers, Beat-Em-Ups, RPGs - in fact, any genre you care to mention.

Of course a unique approach to graphical design does not mean the game is going to be any good - gameplay, sound, plot, etc are just as important, that goes without saying.
But in a time when graphics are generally of a good standard, it is the originality of the overall visual look that can really make a new game stand out from the crowd.

In this day and age we are all probably a little guilty of taking good graphics for granted.
In the PSone and N64 era, graphics swayed from being half decent to really poor, but with the arrival of the next-gen consoles, the fear of aweful graphics has been almost completely dispelled.

So in the here and now, what are our expectations when it comes to graphics?
Obviously we want them to be of a certain quality, but I think we also want them to have style, a unique twist beyond the normal: something we haven't really seen before - something that will make us really sit up and take notice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.