GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How times change....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 11:47
Regular
I'm referring to the SR mag here.

Last time I had one of these through the post was about a year ago.. things have evolved a lot since then.
Just got one on a trial membership, and I was shocked!

The free gift selection has expanded beynod belief... over 40 items to choose from! A few new licks of colour here and there, too - but nothing special. Then there's a clearnace sale section. That's a new one! A pretty good idea, too, I think.

Onto the main catalogue. PS2 page looking much the same as before, but now occupying a whopping 4 pages. Somehow the PSOne has held onto a double page spread, too. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the N64 page though. Where's it all gone? Less than 20 games now listed!

Seem to be more adverts than last time I read, too. Or maybe just more relevant adverts... I'm not sure which.
No, scrap that. I'm pretty sure there are more adverts, actually. More pages though too - a whopping 63!

What have you done to the reviews section?
Gone are the reviews crammed with detail, and the bullseye rating system. Now we have the more ONM style approach... plenty of pictures and little actual info. Review section has shrunken somewhat, too. Shame.

The cheats section that was in hibernation for so long has once again resurfaced. Excellent. Lots of pictures of Danni Wheeler too. Also excellent.

Overall, I've got mixed feelings. Many of the pages are a little too 'in your face' for my liking. Some good improvements though.
Thu 17/01/02 at 11:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'm referring to the SR mag here.

Last time I had one of these through the post was about a year ago.. things have evolved a lot since then.
Just got one on a trial membership, and I was shocked!

The free gift selection has expanded beynod belief... over 40 items to choose from! A few new licks of colour here and there, too - but nothing special. Then there's a clearnace sale section. That's a new one! A pretty good idea, too, I think.

Onto the main catalogue. PS2 page looking much the same as before, but now occupying a whopping 4 pages. Somehow the PSOne has held onto a double page spread, too. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the N64 page though. Where's it all gone? Less than 20 games now listed!

Seem to be more adverts than last time I read, too. Or maybe just more relevant adverts... I'm not sure which.
No, scrap that. I'm pretty sure there are more adverts, actually. More pages though too - a whopping 63!

What have you done to the reviews section?
Gone are the reviews crammed with detail, and the bullseye rating system. Now we have the more ONM style approach... plenty of pictures and little actual info. Review section has shrunken somewhat, too. Shame.

The cheats section that was in hibernation for so long has once again resurfaced. Excellent. Lots of pictures of Danni Wheeler too. Also excellent.

Overall, I've got mixed feelings. Many of the pages are a little too 'in your face' for my liking. Some good improvements though.
Thu 17/01/02 at 11:54
Except my apologies VenomByte, for not reading all of your topic. The first line was enough for my answer though. I did skim though it however, trying to find something that relates do this:

If SR are giving away a PS2 steering wheel at £11.99 as a free gift, then why don't they add some PS2 games in there, if possible?

I think they should have games like Orphen, Fur Fighters, and X-Squad. They are really cheap now, and would fit in that section nicely. I have my "Reddies", waiting to be sent off.

What do you think VenomByte?
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:01
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think the reddies system was designed by the spawn of Lucifer, to punish amd torment careless people like me, who consitently and without fail, misplace every single reddy they get, and thereby miss out on the great goodness that is the SR free gifts system.

Bah.
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:04
VenomByte wrote:
> I think the reddies system was designed by the spawn of Lucifer, to punish amd
> torment careless people like me, who consitently and without fail, misplace
> every single reddy they get, and thereby miss out on the great goodness that is
> the SR free gifts system.

Bah.

LOL - That was really funny. Thank's, I needed a good laugh. By the way, my bro, Dark Summit sends his regards.
He said you were really nice to him on his first day at the forums.
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:13
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The Valley Angel wrote:
> Dark Summit sends his regards.
He said you were really nice to him on his first
> day at the forums.

No problem. It makes a nice change to see a new face on the forums, who has an IQ higher than their own shoe size. So hopefully you'll both keep turning up.
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:14
Thanks VenomByte
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:16
Regular
"I confused?"
There are to many free gifts, most of them are pants is the rock 'n' roll Cd still there? Sr should ak what people want to see in the Free gifts sections instead stock piling rubbish.
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No problem.

Damn, we're getting stuck in some sort of infinite loop here...
Thu 17/01/02 at 12:19
VenomByte wrote:
> No problem.

Damn, we're getting stuck in some sort of infinite loop here...

Okay...I'll give you the last word then. HA HA!
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
Humm...the only problem with the mag I have is he amount of adverts. Otherwise, pretty good.

At first I wondered why the reviews were all about how good the games are, but I think it's mainly because SR review the top games, and not the crappy ones like In Cold Blood.

*SR, can I write a review of In Cold Blood for your next mag please??* {:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.