GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box Live getting more expensive?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/02/03 at 12:16
Regular
Well its been announced that PSO will have an $8.95 charge a month in the US. So lets just say it costs £6 a month over here (Its likely to be more).

That means to play PSO for a year you will have to pay:
£42 - XBL (Assuming Microsoft dont charge even more after the first year)
£72 - PSO subscription

Thats £114 a year.

Plus, for the first year, theres the £38(ish) price to buy the game.
Thats £152 for the first year.

Thats even worse than PC online gaming.

I thought the whole point of paying the £42 was to have access to all games. Its not like Sega have to host the servers like they would on PC games as they are all ran by Microsoft.

Plus, on another bad note, PSO cannot be played with people in the US from outside the region.
Sat 01/02/03 at 12:16
Well its been announced that PSO will have an $8.95 charge a month in the US. So lets just say it costs £6 a month over here (Its likely to be more).

That means to play PSO for a year you will have to pay:
£42 - XBL (Assuming Microsoft dont charge even more after the first year)
£72 - PSO subscription

Thats £114 a year.

Plus, for the first year, theres the £38(ish) price to buy the game.
Thats £152 for the first year.

Thats even worse than PC online gaming.

I thought the whole point of paying the £42 was to have access to all games. Its not like Sega have to host the servers like they would on PC games as they are all ran by Microsoft.

Plus, on another bad note, PSO cannot be played with people in the US from outside the region.
Sat 01/02/03 at 12:36
Hmm...

Would you pay $8.95 per month on top of the regular Xbox Live fees to play Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II on the Xbox?

Yes 540 (8%)
No 5814 (92%)
Sat 01/02/03 at 12:38
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Play it online on the Dreamcast instead for free :)
Sat 01/02/03 at 12:43
Regular
Actually instead of a quick quip I'll answer your question. Yes it's getting more expensive than most console gamers would have wished it.

The same will happen to the PS2 Online service presumably, where already EverQuest Online Adventures has been penned in for release with a monthly subscription charge, as has Final Fantasy X and a few other titles.

We're all being conned.

Unless, of course, you find just one really good game that you don't mind playing £60 a year to play. (I'm not sure about the PS2 Network Adaptor charge, but I think it's going to be a one off payment of £45 for the Network startup kit, thereafter that's it, no further payments due unless you decide to subscribe to a particular game, in which case you'll only pay the game subcription).
Sat 01/02/03 at 12:57
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
There's a simple solution to this. Don't buy the game.

If Sega think they can get away with conning gamers in such away, I hope PSO on Xbox is the biggest flop in gaming history.
Sat 01/02/03 at 13:06
Regular
Apparently, you'll have to have an Xbox Live subscription to be able to play PSO OFFLINE...
Sat 01/02/03 at 13:07
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Apparently, you'll have to have an Xbox Live subscription to be able
> to play PSO OFFLINE...

That would be incredibly silly. But then so is Windows ME.
I can't believe they'd do that......would they?
Sat 01/02/03 at 14:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
The subscription idea is stupidity. Why should we pay to play a game like PSO online when we can play the likes of Mech Assault and Halo 2 for free ??

The only people that will really get their moneys worth are the types that will treat the game like some religion. Thing is, I'm sure all the X-Box Live users on here are just like me - one night you might think "I'm really in the mood for a Moto GP session online tonight". After this, it could be a week or 2 before I'll consider the game again - especially when I love playing on Mech Assault online.

So to pay a subscription for a game that you might only play in short bursts is pretty harsh. Think Sega have a nasty surprise coming their way when they expect the cash to come rolling in.
Sat 01/02/03 at 19:13
Regular
Fact is, with the size and scope of most MMORPGs, you'll tend to have to play subscription fees for games of that genre. Expect Star Wars: Galaxies and the like to follow suit.
Sat 01/02/03 at 20:22
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Phantasy Star Online has had it's day IMO. Now the Sega cash-cow is just milking it for all it's worth now. I would happily pay an extra fee if it were a true MMORPG, but I won't be paying a fee for a game that doesn't offer anything new other than new challenges.

I'd rather wait for the delightful True Fantasy Live Online instead, which looks like PSO, but with a more Japanese theme.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.