GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PS continues... - WHY???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/01/02 at 16:20
Regular
First of all, no I have not come back to insult or critisize anyone or anything to do with Sony, even though I did in the past. Back then I was just a stupid immature Newbie with only 'winning a GAD' on my mind! I'm sorry for what i did then and I won't do that again. Please read on...

One thing that strikes me as being strange is the fact that Sony are still continuing with the production of PSX/PSOne games. I think to myslef 'surely Sony should be focusing mainly on the PS2, and it's time to forget about the past and move on?? After all, Nintendo have done that with the GameCube and N64, and the PS2 is far more popular and powerfull! Why bother with the PSX/PSOne any more???'

After all, the games are a lot better than before, especially in terms of each games graphics and animation. The PS was only 32-bit and top games like Resident Evil were not displayed in their full potential. After that mistake, Nintendo have decided to take upon the oppurtunity and we should soon be able to see how it should and could have looked on either of Sony's consoles!

The PS2 looks to be a huge improvement for Sony, even if the controls and gameplay will stil be the same, the quality looks to have improved. Look at GTA3 for example, could that have been possible on the PSOne??? The game even looks slightly better on the GameBoy Advance! As both consoles are 32-bit.

I can see good reasons for the production of new games of the 32-bit kind though, as they are also compatible with the PS2. This helps to save Sony gamers money and means that Sony don't have to pull the plug on the original console's production. I suppose that if they are still producing the software then they should really continue with the hardware?? But i'm sure that if they had already stopped with the games then the consoles would've soon followed.

Releasing the portable PSOne near the PS2's arrival must be some kind of strange tactic that Sony are using to help them plan for the future. Maybe with all the money and results they recieve from PSOne games, they'll be able to plan for the future with a possible PS3?? Is it really neccessary to carry producing these games in their thousands when piracy is still a case?? Surely with more games the illegal companies and business' will have more chances for more money! So maybe Sony are still loosing money through piracy! At least it isn't happen with the PS2, yet!! It's bound to sooner or later, with the growing rates of technology these days!
Will Sony still be producing PS2 games when the PS3 eventually surfaces in the future???

So Sony are still producing the goods for the PSOne, even if their audience is opting for the PS2. Who's to say that there is now a Sony fan WITHOUT a PSX, all because of piracy?? So it's more likely that the PS2 is the next console of every Sony fan's list! And the more sensible option for Sony would be to stop the games' production and focus on 'the third place'. But then again, PSX owners who have 'chipped' consoles wouldn't be able to play their 'import/pirate' games on their brand spanking new PS2's!! So maybe Sony should carry on producing the likes of 'Tekken 2' and 'Tomb Raider', and stores will find hundreds of punds spent each week on 'legal' PS games!

In my view, Sony do still have several reasons for selling older games, but they should try and put a stop to piracy, for the sakes of all PS2 gamers, and the future of the PS2!!
Fri 18/01/02 at 09:14
Regular
"not dead"
Basically the PSOne is a cheap games system, with games that are cheaper than the new machines.

It really isn't a new concept. The Sega Master System was sold for years after the Megadrive was released, simply because it could be sold cheaply, and there were many games still available.

If you wanted to get someone into gaming, it's a nice starting point that doesn't cost too much.

Of course, soon enough you'd get addicted, and find yourself moving onto the harder stuff...
Fri 18/01/02 at 04:16
Hey guys I'm stuck in the broiler room on bladePS1. How do I advance to the next level. I already have both keys.
Thu 17/01/02 at 18:16
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree. After all, who'd want a reputation like Sega's, that'll leave you where they are today?? And I don't think that MS will have great success like they expect with the X-box, they're just not experienced enough with consoles. Nintendo's reputation is one that Sony would want! So will there ever be a handheld Sony console???
Wed 16/01/02 at 22:46
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I think Sony don't want to get the same reputation as Sega. If they ended the PSone, whats to stop people thinking they will just end the PS2. Ending the PSone could put people off sony, and lead them to Microsoft who haven't ended a console. (Mainly because they haven't had another console, but you know what I mean).
Wed 16/01/02 at 22:08
Regular
"WWJD"
There trying to physic out the other contenders there like saying "yeah we can sell games on are old consoles" and because theres alot of little kids who still have there PS's they need new games and games like THPS3 are out on the PS as well there doing it for the fans
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'll admit that i'm still trying to win GAD, but only really 2 more for N64 games, and maybe another 1 or 2 for GBA/GBC games. Then i'll be happy and will just mainly join in with the chats. Untill the GameCube arrives!!
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> C'mon SONICRAV, you must admit that the chance of winning of free game/DVD
> attracted you to this site!! And the chatting and interesting topics keep the
> forums alive, and the posters happy. And it gives us something to do if we're
> bored, and we can chat about anything that interests us!

I'll admit, it did attracted me to the site.... and it kept me glued to the site, constantly trying to win, until finally, on the 15th December, over 140 days after I joined, I finally won. WHOOOO!

Now I just post normally with the GAD win as an added bonus... it would be nice to win again though, I think I'll try again sometime soon... :-)
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:43
Regular
"Long time no see!"
C'mon SONICRAV, you must admit that the chance of winning of free game/DVD attracted you to this site!! And the chatting and interesting topics keep the forums alive, and the posters happy. And it gives us something to do if we're bored, and we can chat about anything that interests us!
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Silent85 wrote:
> and ur telling me u aint got GAD on ur mind with this post?

errr... believe it or not, but most people actually post here for the fun of chatting about something they're interested in: games and films.

The winning is a nice bonus, but certainly not the driving force

Sonic
Wed 16/01/02 at 21:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Those are all good points. And I think that they will finnish the console's production by the end of 2002. And of course they'll announce it before hand, giving people more time to start saving for the PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.