GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting a new pc :) have questions !!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/02/03 at 20:17
Regular
Finally i'm getting a new pc my dad has a mate at work who buys the parts cheap from some place in southend i think then puts them together and sells them and very cheap too the pc i have at the moment is very old and the spec is crap here it is :

processor:233mhz
harddrive 3gb
graphics card none
Memory:155

and its only good for the internet which is all my family use the computer for anyway and microsoft word etc i have quite a few games like cossacks / diablo etc but can't play them because of the limited harddrive space anyway getting back to the point

My dads mate builds pcs and i have a example of how cheap he sells them for:

proccesor:1000mhz
hardrive:40gb
graphics card:32mb
Memory:256

= £150

now that is cheap but my dad is thinking of buying one from him but my dad is only thinking of getting ^ that one which is deffently a step up from the one we have now and i can play all my games that i own but i would like to play games like:

Neverwinter Nights

Dungeon siege

Delta force land warrior

BattleFeild 1942

So my dad said he'l have to found out more and if i write down a spec he'l find the price so i want a pc powerful enough for the games above battlefield 1942 may be out of the question but these are my questions

Do you think a 1000mhz is good enough or try get a better one thats all i worried about the 40gb hardrive is fine by me and the graphics card i can always update later its just the processor

any help appreicated

p.s totally offtopic but does anyone want to buy a bike i'm selling a limited editon y frame 24 gears aliminium body suit adult or teen black and yellow team saracen giega mountain bike for £250 but will drop the price if necessary Email @ [email protected] or leave message here

cheers
Sat 01/02/03 at 20:17
Regular
""To the pub...""
Finally i'm getting a new pc my dad has a mate at work who buys the parts cheap from some place in southend i think then puts them together and sells them and very cheap too the pc i have at the moment is very old and the spec is crap here it is :

processor:233mhz
harddrive 3gb
graphics card none
Memory:155

and its only good for the internet which is all my family use the computer for anyway and microsoft word etc i have quite a few games like cossacks / diablo etc but can't play them because of the limited harddrive space anyway getting back to the point

My dads mate builds pcs and i have a example of how cheap he sells them for:

proccesor:1000mhz
hardrive:40gb
graphics card:32mb
Memory:256

= £150

now that is cheap but my dad is thinking of buying one from him but my dad is only thinking of getting ^ that one which is deffently a step up from the one we have now and i can play all my games that i own but i would like to play games like:

Neverwinter Nights

Dungeon siege

Delta force land warrior

BattleFeild 1942

So my dad said he'l have to found out more and if i write down a spec he'l find the price so i want a pc powerful enough for the games above battlefield 1942 may be out of the question but these are my questions

Do you think a 1000mhz is good enough or try get a better one thats all i worried about the 40gb hardrive is fine by me and the graphics card i can always update later its just the processor

any help appreicated

p.s totally offtopic but does anyone want to buy a bike i'm selling a limited editon y frame 24 gears aliminium body suit adult or teen black and yellow team saracen giega mountain bike for £250 but will drop the price if necessary Email @ [email protected] or leave message here

cheers
Sat 01/02/03 at 20:55
Regular
That's a top PC, better than mine, AND WHAT A BARGAIN!! The graphics should be out-dated soon though, and they cost quite a bit, but not for you, I'd gather. 40GB is fine, 256 MB RAM is cool, 100 MhZ should be OK, more than mine, but a 32MB graphics card isn't amazing. Then again, who am I to say.
Sat 01/02/03 at 21:25
Well your gonna get exaclty what you pay for

Still it is better than your old system just dont expect the games to look anything like they do on the packaging
Sun 02/02/03 at 13:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
>proccesor:1000mhz

That'll do you for a couple of months at least, but you're going to struggle with a processor that size later in the year.

>hardrive:40gb

A reasonable sized HD, though you could probably push to get a bigger one, 60 or 80GB

>graphics card:32mb

It'll be alright for a few of the old games, but if you're thinking about playing some of this years releases, then to you'll need something a bit more powerful to get you're games to run at full detail.

>Memory:256

Hmmm, it'll do, but you may be better stretching to 512.

>= £150

Nice enough price, but I'd have to say the system specs here aren't that impressive. From what I've seen here, it looks like this computer could already be outdated, and as for playing the latest games, well you may be able to, just don't expect them to look as good as any screenshots you may have seen.

If you want a decent, top of the range computer, you're going to have to be prepared to pay a little bit more.
Sun 02/02/03 at 14:04
Regular
""To the pub...""
Thx for the replys just what i thought really oh well around july i'll be getting a apprenticship then i can save up for a proper gaming pc :)
Sun 02/02/03 at 14:56
Regular
o.O
It'll take alot more to get a 'gaming' PC ... to play Battlefield smoothly
It should play the others in the list fine.... i have to pay at least 900 quid for mine... im just gonna try and get a job.. and hopefully get one for my 18th next month :o
Mon 03/02/03 at 12:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Ahhh, the benifits of having a job and you're own money. That's why I could spend £700 of my own dosh on a new computer, even though I don't really like spending such large amounts. Still, it'll be worth it in the end.
Mon 03/02/03 at 13:16
Regular
Yea maybe......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.