GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Tear Jerker"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/02/03 at 13:02
Regular
You don’t really get them in Computer games, the old tearjerker. Ever noticed that? I mean you get plenty of depressing books and Armageddon is a perfect example of a tear-jerking movie. But what about the other media format, the good old video games, do we need to get a tissue out for these? It isn’t that I haven’t experienced any its just they don’t seem to appear in mass quantities. When I played Zelda and said goodbye to Saria, despite only playing the game for what was about an hour, I was honestly upset, I felt like I was leaving all my friends behind. Goodbyes are a perfect way of making you feel sad, yes I saved Termina from the falling moon but now I must say goodbye to the thousands of characters that I met and helped along the way and Nintendo are masters of showing all the characters that you’ll never see again, it is always cheerful but a little sad.

I can only really think of one game that dared to make the gamer lose. Imagine this, you are playing a game where your character is trying to make his way home; he must overcome several perils to do so. When you reach the climax of the game your Girlfriend of whom has appeared numerous times in the game is killed, and instead of getting home you are forced to sit on the throne as king of the land and as the game comes to a close you hear this speech:

“Well here I am, King, King of all the land. Who woulda thought that? Not me. I guess you know who these people are now, I know I certainly do, I don’t wanna know them. *Sigh* I guess its true what they say the grass is always greener and you don’t know what you truly have until its gone….

Gone

Gone.”

For those that didn’t know that was from the N64 hit Conkers Bad Fur Day, the game is one of the daftest laugh a minute games I have ever played and as the almost (a few thunder strikes) silent credits rolled by I am gob smacked… what just happened? It caused an uproar amongst the biggest Conker fans, I owned a Conker dedicated website that proved rather popular and I constantly got e-mails saying, “is there a way we can get the good ending?” and I always replied no, there was no good ending. But the ending perfectly made the audience desire more, I wanted a Conker sequel from the moment the game ended and if a sequel does appear I will buy an X-box simply for it.

But depressing, heart-wrenching scenes are not easy to pull off. There are several gaming moments that are supposed to leave you upset, Lylat Wars featured such a moment when it appeared that Fox McCloud had died… but really the white screen that followed that was supposed to leave me in shock was relatively annoying, it wasn’t until his dead Dad appeared to save him that I truly managed to break a coy smile at the game, but even the concept of Fox’s Dad being dead didn’t upset me. The reason for this is because Starfox is a flying game and other than a few moments the interaction from you to the characters are relatively thin, there isn’t a connection, if someone happens to die you won’t be upset because you didn’t really ‘know’ them anyway. Nevertheless now 3 Starfox games have been released if Slippy did mess up once again and his legs served to unsuspecting French men you probably would feel a little sad, Slippy is irritating but he is still a star. So do tearjerkers only work in game series’ and RPG/Adventure games?

No it is all down to the interaction, if you spend a game getting close to a character and enjoying their little comments if they die or leave you will be a little saddened by the fact… remember the death of the Robot Dr. Carol in Perfect Dark? It’s a sodding computer and yet I was still left upset. It reminds me of Castaway… I couldn’t believe Wilson got washed away… despite the fact he was Volleyball and didn’t actually do anything. Are tearjerkers more to do with your characters reactions to the certain people? Link obviously loved Saria, is this why I was upset to leave her? Dr. Carol was a highly irritating robot that often cost me my mission and yet Joanna really liked the character, which might explain despite despising the annoying character I stood their for a minute trying to pick her up. Conker’s girlfriend Berrie was a stereotypical annoying American, obsessed with her looks and sprouting such crap as “Whatever” and “Obviously”. Those people are so infuriating, but Conker loved her, so technically I did to.

Dringo.
Sun 02/02/03 at 13:02
Regular
You don’t really get them in Computer games, the old tearjerker. Ever noticed that? I mean you get plenty of depressing books and Armageddon is a perfect example of a tear-jerking movie. But what about the other media format, the good old video games, do we need to get a tissue out for these? It isn’t that I haven’t experienced any its just they don’t seem to appear in mass quantities. When I played Zelda and said goodbye to Saria, despite only playing the game for what was about an hour, I was honestly upset, I felt like I was leaving all my friends behind. Goodbyes are a perfect way of making you feel sad, yes I saved Termina from the falling moon but now I must say goodbye to the thousands of characters that I met and helped along the way and Nintendo are masters of showing all the characters that you’ll never see again, it is always cheerful but a little sad.

I can only really think of one game that dared to make the gamer lose. Imagine this, you are playing a game where your character is trying to make his way home; he must overcome several perils to do so. When you reach the climax of the game your Girlfriend of whom has appeared numerous times in the game is killed, and instead of getting home you are forced to sit on the throne as king of the land and as the game comes to a close you hear this speech:

“Well here I am, King, King of all the land. Who woulda thought that? Not me. I guess you know who these people are now, I know I certainly do, I don’t wanna know them. *Sigh* I guess its true what they say the grass is always greener and you don’t know what you truly have until its gone….

Gone

Gone.”

For those that didn’t know that was from the N64 hit Conkers Bad Fur Day, the game is one of the daftest laugh a minute games I have ever played and as the almost (a few thunder strikes) silent credits rolled by I am gob smacked… what just happened? It caused an uproar amongst the biggest Conker fans, I owned a Conker dedicated website that proved rather popular and I constantly got e-mails saying, “is there a way we can get the good ending?” and I always replied no, there was no good ending. But the ending perfectly made the audience desire more, I wanted a Conker sequel from the moment the game ended and if a sequel does appear I will buy an X-box simply for it.

But depressing, heart-wrenching scenes are not easy to pull off. There are several gaming moments that are supposed to leave you upset, Lylat Wars featured such a moment when it appeared that Fox McCloud had died… but really the white screen that followed that was supposed to leave me in shock was relatively annoying, it wasn’t until his dead Dad appeared to save him that I truly managed to break a coy smile at the game, but even the concept of Fox’s Dad being dead didn’t upset me. The reason for this is because Starfox is a flying game and other than a few moments the interaction from you to the characters are relatively thin, there isn’t a connection, if someone happens to die you won’t be upset because you didn’t really ‘know’ them anyway. Nevertheless now 3 Starfox games have been released if Slippy did mess up once again and his legs served to unsuspecting French men you probably would feel a little sad, Slippy is irritating but he is still a star. So do tearjerkers only work in game series’ and RPG/Adventure games?

No it is all down to the interaction, if you spend a game getting close to a character and enjoying their little comments if they die or leave you will be a little saddened by the fact… remember the death of the Robot Dr. Carol in Perfect Dark? It’s a sodding computer and yet I was still left upset. It reminds me of Castaway… I couldn’t believe Wilson got washed away… despite the fact he was Volleyball and didn’t actually do anything. Are tearjerkers more to do with your characters reactions to the certain people? Link obviously loved Saria, is this why I was upset to leave her? Dr. Carol was a highly irritating robot that often cost me my mission and yet Joanna really liked the character, which might explain despite despising the annoying character I stood their for a minute trying to pick her up. Conker’s girlfriend Berrie was a stereotypical annoying American, obsessed with her looks and sprouting such crap as “Whatever” and “Obviously”. Those people are so infuriating, but Conker loved her, so technically I did to.

Dringo.
Sun 02/02/03 at 17:46
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
This is a good post and is something I haven't really thought of to be honest. I suppose certain genres cannot be covered by computer games, you never have a love story game where you character has to run about gathering flowers and chocs for his missus, do you?

Also I don't think you could cry at a game because it is less real than a film because you are controlling it all. Films can be perceived as being real or having really happened because the people are real in them, not animated.

Great post though

:Capslock:
Mon 03/02/03 at 07:07
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Nice post. Do me a favour...

...pass the tissues!
Mon 03/02/03 at 18:58
"period drama"
FF7 jerked a tear during Aeris' big scene.
Brings back painful memories.
*Sob*

That's the only time I've ever cried (well, shed a tear) for film, book or game.

Except for Stone Of Tears by Terry Goodkind.
The best book I've ever read - Sword of Truth series - even than LOTR. Seroiusly - if you like fantasy, go read it.

Nice post.
I think games are getting better are displaying emotions better, with better graphics and sound. FFX nearly got me on a few occasions
Mon 03/02/03 at 21:59
Regular
Skies of Arcadia has the best characters and emotions

But seeing as the whole game pushes a positive vibe about life, you won't be crying at it.
Tue 04/02/03 at 00:09
Regular
Dringo you where upset when Doctor Carrell died in PD?

You got issues lad :D
Wed 05/02/03 at 17:27
Regular
"Bicycle"
I never cry in films. Except for Black Beauty, but everyone did. I was 6. I've never cried at a game, but I could make one that would. I could make a film that would. I cry at books the entire time... It's so sad. Even in trashy books, if a character who is always there dies, especially if it's an act of complete protection. Ah well...

[--Sylphetic--]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.