GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've got Worms"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Worms 3D'.
Sun 02/02/03 at 20:49
Regular
My little brother tried to make me eat a worm today, and I laughed, “Eat a worm!” I exclaimed “I’d much rather blow one up with a well placed sheep.” So the Worms are back to face yet another generation of torture and humorous war style situations, so what’s new this time? An improved single player mode? Even more crazy weapons? How about a level editor? Why no because this time the Worms are in 3D!

3D? You’re having me on guv! I can assure you I’m not and it’s about time too I’d say. Obviously taking a lot of inspiration from the Playstation classic Hogs of War (which in turn took inspiration from Worms) Team 17 are becoming aware that the classic Worms formulae can in fact work in 3D and take the crown from the head of those pigs. In keeping with Worms’s history we have the same old bars that indicate who is winning and expect to see the same old nutty weapons in the vein of exploding sheep and suicidal Granny’s… what the team have in store for us this time god knows.

Naturally to compete with Hogs of War one must beat Hogs of War and the ickle old Worms could well do it. One screen shot shows the outlandish explosion on a bridge, previous Worms outings had the pleasure of destroyable scenery, and this is what will probably make it far better than Hogs of War. Worms 3 promises fully destructible scenery and I mean FULLY (take note Red Faction). Bridges can be destroyed sending hapless worms to their doom and the 3D engine allows for overhangs, roofs, blowholes… basically you can build yourself a nice little place to cower and hide. Graphically the game looks unsurprisingly simple, whereas the explosive effects are nice and dandy the graphical style is plain and unadventurous. This is a relatively good thing in the sense of gameplay, confusing over the top graphics can easily make the ‘war zone’ far too confusing, and besides the simple yet strikingly cartoony style is perfect basis for comic worm moments!

There are four different world types in this latest installment, so expect simple grassy areas to the treacherous lava lands and each world has their own specific music. Worms have always been superb in the sound department, the voices of the little critters themselves have always created moments of hilarity, the ‘oh no’ as a worm prepares to explode and the “bye bye” as a worm hits an opponent off a cliff have been trademarks of the series that I would expect to remain. Of course as long as the legendary theme music is still there I’d be happy (begins whistling). Another thing the worms team are currently working on are special modes and weather effects, other plans include create your own landscape and some rather cool special FX’s. One thing Team 17 have commented on has been the ropes, previous incarnations included a lot of swinging via ropes to maneuver around the scenery, camera issues would make this too hard to do but a similar grappling device is in development. The new 3D design will offer a wide range of cool new ideas; just imagine teleporting into an indestructible bunker and shooting at unsuspecting passersby.

Multiplayer is sure to make a triumphant return and like the older games be the driving force behind the game. Ah I cannot wait to have Team X-files compete against Team 24 or Team Nintendo fight it off against Team X-box, this is why I love gaming, unrealistically pure adrenaline filled fun.

Naturally there are some problems, with such a dynamic landscape camera issues are going to be a massive problem and the console versions don’t plan to go Online (unlike the PC version). Nevertheless it is looking like a rather nifty edition… it’ll be better than Worms Blast at least.

*Goes off Whistling*

Dringo.
Thu 06/02/03 at 16:53
Regular
Hogs of War was not crap.
Any game that includes Pigs with machine guns and French accents is not crap.
Hey, that's the second time today I've posted after you in a topic.
Stop copying me!
Thu 06/02/03 at 09:33
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I've allways feared Worms going 3D. It will either be fairly good or shockingly bad. And i'm another who thought Hogs Of War was crap...
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Worms Blast was created by a developer on crack. Worms in 3D should be good - but it has high standards to meet. (Armageddon for instance)
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I played Armageddon recently.

Excellent.
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:25
"Wa-wa-west"
Tue 04/02/03 at 21:23
Regular
I thought that Worms United was the best.

It wasn't the same when they changed the style for Worms 2.
Especially without the old Theme Tune...

I've known about this game for a while, but not seen any proper screenshots. Have Team 17 released some now?
Sun 02/02/03 at 23:49
Regular
The graphics look god IMO. Look just like Armageddon but in 3D.

if they get this game right then it should be sweet. I smell Lemmings 3D though....i gotta get some air freshner.
Sun 02/02/03 at 21:11
"Uzi Lover"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Worms Armageddon is the best, and probably will remain so.

Online that ruled.

Just trying to get your ranking up and stuff.

Then you face someone who is an Elite with 3 stars oooooooo!
Sun 02/02/03 at 21:09
Regular
I bet it sucks

Worms Armageddon is the best, and probably will remain so.
Sun 02/02/03 at 21:07
"Uzi Lover"
Worms is one of my favourite games ever and all because of the online play.

World Party was a BIG dissapointment. It was basically Worms Armeggedeon in new wrapping. A real shame.

So you can tell I'm looking forward to Worms 3.

That's until I saw the screenshots...

They look grainy at the moment and thats probably because the game is still in development. But somehow the feeling I got from the screenshots was "This isn't going to work".Some may have said that about Grand Theft Auto but look what happened there.

The way I see it is that they could make this such a great game and if not it will be a real flop and from then it's goodbye Worms.

I'd rather see the little guys go out on a high.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.