GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop slating war films!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/02 at 19:34
Regular
What is with all these slating of war movies all a sudden?

We should appreciate the fact that people are trying to remind youngsters of what war can do, as this generation is lucky. We do not have to go to strange countries and fight for our lives and an age in which we are only interested in boobs and computers. I think it is great that Hollywood are producing films such as Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

And as for them being to grim. I think that the level of blood adds realism, it's not as if the people who faught in these wars could stop everything because there was too much blood and guts.

I stand back and applaud Hollywood for their preservation of history.

As for The Patriot. Who really cares if it is politicly correct. Who gives a poop if the baddy is British. To the Americans we were the baddies in that war. Remember, the hero in the film is American. DUH!!!
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:34
What is with all these slating of war movies all a sudden?

We should appreciate the fact that people are trying to remind youngsters of what war can do, as this generation is lucky. We do not have to go to strange countries and fight for our lives and an age in which we are only interested in boobs and computers. I think it is great that Hollywood are producing films such as Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down.

And as for them being to grim. I think that the level of blood adds realism, it's not as if the people who faught in these wars could stop everything because there was too much blood and guts.

I stand back and applaud Hollywood for their preservation of history.

As for The Patriot. Who really cares if it is politicly correct. Who gives a poop if the baddy is British. To the Americans we were the baddies in that war. Remember, the hero in the film is American. DUH!!!
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:49
"possibly impossible"
BradW wrote:
> Who really cares if it is politicly correct. Who gives a poop if
> the baddy is British. To the Americans we were the baddies in that war.
> Remember, the hero in the film is American. DUH!!!

Well, people who care about history care that the British were shown doing many thing they never did, and in a so called film supposedly 'based on fact'. It really is astonishing that this and many other American films do this. Then, I suppose it goes all the way back to those 50's B-movies that led every schoolboy to believe that Dinosaurs and humans were around on the earth at the same time.
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:27
Regular
Yup, Hollywood and historic truth do pass like ships in the night...

And as for:

"We do not have to go to strange countries and fight for our lives and an age in which we are only interested in boobs and computers."

That's a bad thing? :0)
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:47
of course the truth gets bent in films sometimes to beef up the story. Like people get wound up because the computers used in films are not 'realistic' (like, bothered!)

But i just wish that people would respect the fact that Hollywood is accknowledging the sacrafices that so many people have made in the past for their country.
Tue 15/01/02 at 22:52
pb wrote:
Well, people
> who care about history care that the British were shown doing many thing they
> never did, and in a so called film supposedly 'based on fact'. It really is
> astonishing that this and many other American films do this. Then, I suppose it
> goes all the way back to those 50's B-movies that led every schoolboy to believe
> that Dinosaurs and humans were around on the earth at the same time.

Okay so it's just the Americans ? Enigma, British film, but not correct. The point is these films are films. Not history. If schoolboys believed dinosaurs were around then weren't they a bunch of easily influenced people ? Did the Americnas kick up a fuss about the bits in Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line and Blackhawk down where their soldiers kill surrendering soldiers...no. The films arent glorifying the events but remembering those who gave their lives, and reminding us all why we are here now. In World War 2, and every conflict since WW1 we've been allies with America, so I dont see why there is such animosity toward America, If it wasnt for her the war would have carried on way longer and many of us probably wouldnt be here right now.
Tue 15/01/02 at 22:55
Regular
Some war FIlms are good, Full Metal Jacket was good, Platoon was good, Bullet in the Head was good the list goes on.

But I can't stand these modern War films, stuff like Black Hawk Down, with the "we're American we rule" message it just does my nut.
Wed 16/01/02 at 00:08
Regular
"That's right!"
It was hard watching the Patriot because throughout the entire film, I saw the British as the good guys, even though I knew we were going to lose in the end, I was rooting for them all the way though!
Wed 16/01/02 at 09:32
i am glad to sse that i am not the only one who thinks that these Hollywood films are form or rememberance. With a bit of entertainment thrwn in for the arrogant.
Wed 16/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
"not dead"
BradW wrote:
> i am glad to sse that i am not the only one who thinks that these Hollywood
> films are form or rememberance. With a bit of entertainment thrwn in for the
> arrogant.

Remembrance? Balls.

Money making vehicles, that just happen to be popular right now because of this so called 'War with terror'.
Wed 16/01/02 at 12:40
i don't think that these films are populare becuase of the war with terror think.

People are just interested to see how film makers portray needless and violent events of the past.

I am not a war film fanatic myself, but i just wish that people would leave Hollywood be, and let them produce the films they desire. It is better than them haunting us with pieces of visual poop such as Princess Diaries and John Carpenter films (the man has lost his way since the 90's, what a watse of talent)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.