GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games-Do they cause violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 16:46
Regular
Many games like GTA have been banned from some countries who say they cause people to beat, kill, and just abuse other people.
But is it truly the games fault some people say that games are for amusement and people who think they are real or copy them are ill.
I thick that banning a game wont help, because there’s so many more things that influence violence like, music, tv, the internet all these things can cause people to act violent.
Games are there for amusement not to be taken seriously. I can’t believe that if someone plays a game and sees a burning man that there going to go out there and set a man on fire.
If some one is violent you can NOT turn around and blame it on a game, it was them selves who went through with the violence. Never in a single game does it say violence is good.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Mon 03/02/03 at 17:26
Regular
If throwing my controller acros the room at the nearest wall is counted as violence, then yes they do.
Mon 03/02/03 at 17:25
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
groovymegee wrote:
> WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Games don't pull triggers, wield baseball bats, use knuckledusters nor do they put the boot in at football matches, joyride in other people's cars, break and enter or otherwise commit violent acts.

Only people do that.

Games are just one small part of a growing mass media that de-sensitise youngsters towards violence therefore making it easier to pull triggers, wield baseball bats etc., when they get older. And the only people who can prevent their children from becoming de-sensitised by all these horrific images are their parents or guardians.

This is a nightmare, because you can't watch your kids all the time, plus you have to balance things so that when your kids reach the age where they begin to discover what the world is really like it isn't too much of a shock for them.

So, on the one hand you've got a society where adults are constantly having to protect their children from horrific images on television, the internet, newspapers, films, videos, DVDs, games; and on the other hand you've got a society constantly finding new media forms in which to depict these horrific scenes and new ways to get these media forms into your home.

So do you blame society, or do you blame the parents when things go wrong?

Also, ask yourself this question? Why is it that the media feel the need to present these horrific images to us in the first place. Why is it that bad news makes the headlines, whereas good news doesn't? A natural human desire to be fascinated by the horrific, perhaps?

Until we lose some of these desires that have been part of our genetic makeup since pre-historic times, things aren't going to change much. Therein lies the problem.
Mon 03/02/03 at 17:07
Regular
"DS..."
i played eternal darkness and i appear to be fine... Bleaargh! *smiles*

slik ~_~
Mon 03/02/03 at 16:53
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I played super monkey ball once and rolled around for weeks afterwards.
Mon 03/02/03 at 16:48
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Some games have the potential to make people act different.

Like GTA, for example. But this is only in the minds of weirdos, who think it's real.

That's my opinion in a nutshell. I might give you a more in-depth opinion later.
Mon 03/02/03 at 16:46
Many games like GTA have been banned from some countries who say they cause people to beat, kill, and just abuse other people.
But is it truly the games fault some people say that games are for amusement and people who think they are real or copy them are ill.
I thick that banning a game wont help, because there’s so many more things that influence violence like, music, tv, the internet all these things can cause people to act violent.
Games are there for amusement not to be taken seriously. I can’t believe that if someone plays a game and sees a burning man that there going to go out there and set a man on fire.
If some one is violent you can NOT turn around and blame it on a game, it was them selves who went through with the violence. Never in a single game does it say violence is good.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.