GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your console manufacturer just went bust."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 18:04
Regular
Hypothetical Scenario: Your console maker (be it Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft), has just gone bust, no more games are ever going to be made for it, and no more shops are going to sell games for it because by a wierd coincidence all the games that ever existed for your console, including the ones you used to own, vanished overnight. A wad of £10 notes worth £300 in total has generously been left in their place.

So, for example, if you used a PS2 as your main gaming platform, where would you turn for kicks? Nintendo, Microsoft, PC, or even go retro with a Dreamcast, SNES or Megadrive? (PSX is out of the question, if Sony goes, so does all of its back catalogue).

For me, I'd be distraught if the PS2 went. (Mainly because I've built up a collection of 46 games for it and £300 wouldn't cover it). But, fortunately, having kept tabs on the alternatives, I'd have no hesitation in going for the XBox as a replacement. Sure, I'd have to move the subwoofer from its current position to accomodate it, but this is a small price to pay. Being a PS2 owner, I get green with envy not being able to sample the delights of Halo or get lost in the world of Morrowind. These two games alone have nearly made be own two consoles at one time or another, but then Sony managed to grab my money at the last minute.

Amazingly, for my £300 I could get an XBox, one controller, a memory card, Sega GT 2002, Halo, Splinter Cell, Jet Set Radio, Morrowind, XBox Live starter pack and still have £6.04 left over, with which I'd have a couple of pints in a vain effort to say 'Cheerio' to my PS2 gaming days.

In fact, the more I think about it the more tempted I am just to go ahead and buy one anyhow despite already having a PS2 and more games than I could possibly fully complete in what years remain to me.

Why not Gamecube or PC? Well, I've got to think about the future, haven't I? I looked hard at the Gamecube when it was first released, and although graphically I'd say it was better than the PS2 (no jaggies, nice), games like Luigui's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine don't appeal. Resident Evil I've already played, I know what happens. I'd be missing out on the Zelda series, but long term I think the XBox is going to secure it's 2nd place that it tried to claim last Christmas. Plus I figure that within the next few years, XBox is going to have a much larger installed userbase in the U.S.A. than Nintendo, which will have ramifications for the number of titles that get released or ported to the Gamecube in the future, especially in Europe. This is yet another reason I've been toying with the idea of getting an XBox now rather than later, because the PS2 will be affected by this as well.

As for PC, just too damn fiddly. I like to pick up and play. I don't like to spend half an hour installing, wondering what the install program has just done to my operating system, configuring my PC again, then running down the road to spend another £200 on a graphics card to run the game on.
Tue 04/02/03 at 12:37
"slightlyshortertagl"
If Sega (hardware-wise) were to start up again and more games wer epublished for the Dreamcast I'd go for that. If that doesn't work I'd spend £200 on a fancy new graphics card for my pc. The spend the other £100 on retro gaming :0)
Tue 04/02/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I never got the chance to sample the delights of the Dreamcast, so I'd go for that.
Tue 04/02/03 at 12:12
Regular
Hmmmmm, I own a PS2, PSone, Xbox, GameCube, N64 and SNES so it would either have to be a NES or mega-drive....
Tue 04/02/03 at 11:16
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Sob my heart out. Borrow a mates N64 and replay Zelda until it was decided which console the next Final Fantasy would be on and then buy that.
Tue 04/02/03 at 11:00
"possibly impossible"
I'd have a problem because I'd have to go retro, having owned all the consoles. I'd have to get a SNES (again).
Tue 04/02/03 at 07:25
Regular
Sylphur wrote:
> Jet Set Radio will never be on the X-BOX, only Jet Set
> Radio Future. Difference? Worse skate design on the X-BOX.

Don't you mean arcadey free-flowing skate design. JSRF is an impovement on JSR - basically bigger & better.
Tue 04/02/03 at 07:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah... This seems strangely familiar of.. Hmm, what was it? Oh yeah Dreamcast. And SEGA. Actually, SEGA going bust probably p***** me off more, 'cos they had to sell SEGA World to the Trocadero, and I'd got the top 6 scores on Street Fighter II. Ah well.

If'd I'd actually got the seemingly large amount of £10 notes, totalling £300 pounds, (actually, they would have given you a better figure, because evil, evil, evil schemes only work in thousands, but lets predent they haven't this time), then I would have gone out and bought some new games... Lovely games. Far more important than the console... Right? No. Guess not. The DC had the best games ever seen on any console, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, PSO, PSOII, DOA etc... And Dreamcast is forgotten now, al it's games have moved.

Oh and FM, Jet Set Radio will never be on the X-BOX, only Jet Set Radio Future. Difference? Worse skate design on the X-BOX.
Tue 04/02/03 at 02:56
No hypothetical about it I was one of those who actually purchased an Amiga CD32 console bleh, put me off consoles for life
long live the PC
Mon 03/02/03 at 22:50
Regular
"QPR 1974"
At the moment I have an Xbox and Gamecube and am very happy with the mixture of games that are appearing on both. I never owned/ or plan to own a ps2 mainly due to the fact i bought an xbox first and did not want to go back (in terms of technology) and none of the games bar GTA and PES really appealed to me.. in the end its down to personal taste. And I like a bit of variety hence both consoles. I am very happy now and by the look of the lineup i will be very happy in the future....
Mon 03/02/03 at 22:38
Ignoring PC's for the moment, seeing as we're considering console manufacturers, I'd have to get the XBox.

Just to clarify things, I currently own N64, SNES, and GB as far as console are concerned. I'm an ex-Ninty.

With the GC not being an option (not that I'd choose it anyway in all honesty), I'd have to take the XBox over the PS2. There are some great PS2 games around, but I there are far more I'd like to own on the XBox. Additionally, I have an anti-Sony bias influencing my decisions.

I generally play two types of games. Single player strategy/RPG/adventure games, or multiplayer action based games. The XBox's extra ports clinch it for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.