GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sony will be raking it in this x-mas"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/09/00 at 16:58
Regular
Today I went into a games shop (EB) in the town and they had a table set up for you to pre order a Ps2 and I watched as people sat down and signed the forms to get there hands on the console when it arrives. I cant believe people actually want one of these machines Just think want you can do with 300 nicker. but still I cant change the way people are. All the parents who want to spoil there little stuck up kids this christmas are just gonna complain when sony start doing deals after X-mas just like sega did. While in the mean time the people at sony are lighting there fat Cubans with bank notes. So if you wanna make sony rich go ahead and give them £300+ quid this Christmas.
Sat 09/09/00 at 16:58
Today I went into a games shop (EB) in the town and they had a table set up for you to pre order a Ps2 and I watched as people sat down and signed the forms to get there hands on the console when it arrives. I cant believe people actually want one of these machines Just think want you can do with 300 nicker. but still I cant change the way people are. All the parents who want to spoil there little stuck up kids this christmas are just gonna complain when sony start doing deals after X-mas just like sega did. While in the mean time the people at sony are lighting there fat Cubans with bank notes. So if you wanna make sony rich go ahead and give them £300+ quid this Christmas.
Sat 09/09/00 at 17:27
you are exactly right ,overpriced and overhyped,poor suckers they dont even know what tut they are buying
Sat 09/09/00 at 19:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
But, I doubt sony will make that much money. Think about it...

First there won't be that many units, and after they've gone there won't be any more till after Xmas. The people who have the console have cost sony money (harware is more than £300 to make). But, they will buy games- however, unless people buy 5 games and extra pads etc, then Sony will not break even for a while.

Also, few consoles means that the charts will not be affected by the machines launch (well, maybe straight at release, but not latter).

Rav
Sat 09/09/00 at 23:11
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Sony are selling the PS2 at a loss. Since most buyers will have had a PS, they won't make money on extra pads, just the memory cards. Meanwhile everyone who buys the thing will probably be too spent out to actually buy much of the at first limited software range, so I'm sure it'll be a very long time before Sony make the PS2 profitable.

Also, you have to wonder, if the fears over there being nothing but pants games bought out are realised, nobody will want to buy games (except perhaps some compatable original PS titles), so if all the rumours are true, Sony could be in quite a lot of trouble in a few months time...
Sun 10/09/00 at 08:11
Sony are doing so bad but they wont admit it! That's why they are bringing out the PlaystationOne just before the PS2. They need the extra cash so they try conning all you Sony fans into parting with your money for this "better" model of Playstation.
Sun 10/09/00 at 09:57
Sony are doing bad. They lost over £550million last quarter (that's in three months!!). £300 may seem expensive (especially when its only £200 in the USA) but the hardware costs upwards of £500 to make. That means they need to sell a lot of games to break even. And with people (especially parents) spending £300 just on the console, there's not going to be a lot of cash spare for the games, is there?

See Japan's charts to see how poorly PS2 games are selling. Apparently, there are more PS2s sold in Japan than games themeselves as lots of Japanese buy the machine just for its (poor?) DVD playback! This is not good for Sony.
Sun 10/09/00 at 13:06
I'm thinking that perhaps the heyday of gaming has passed and people are not likely to buy just anything like they did a few years ago.
Before the Playstation came out gaming was not that big in this country. The Megadrive and SNES sold well, but nowhere near the amounts that the 32 bit consoles did. Everyone had a console on their christmas list that year and any games were snapped up, whether they were good or not. Gaming was good, there was a buzz in the games shops and more high street retailers joined the queue to sell the games and consoles.
Nowdays everyone knows what they want from a console and from the games, they buy any number of reviews magazines to gain knowledge of how good a game is and will only spend their money on the best. Only those type of people who were originally into gaming before it was 'cool' are left to buy the rest. What does this mean to the companies bringing out consoles now? Well, they will have to be careful how much interest they generate and how much good press they get before the console is launched. No one is going to buy something that looks like it's not going to give something new. Sony are betting on selling more games than consoles, but unless the games are good it could be their downfall. Nintendo are waiting and will see how the Playstation 2 does first, which will give them an advantage, but even they will have to be careful.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.