GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"On Your Marks, Jet Set Go!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 20:34
Regular
Yeah, I know this is one console resignation late, but you really don't need to tell me that.

Wow... I haven't been on these forums for ages, it was under my old s/n (Prawn Star then loads of others, remember me???) so at least 6 months, and I was greeted by a "Stuff this topic! No one uses it anymore".

Two mistakes.

1: The topic host is a FORUM, not a topic. Get a pair of glasses...
2: Hey look, two new posts. And me. At least two users...

Sorry, the topic title's a bit misleading... I'll go back to the main thought...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. Guess what I got last (yes, LAST chrimbo. As in 2001)? PS2. Yay, go me and all that. Guess what I got before that, on my birthday... Dreamcast. Boo. Or so it would seem after Christmas, and pretty much until last Friday. Ah, my long lost love, JSR (come on, if you didn't get that... Jet Set Radio). Yes, to get me to play on my Dreamcast rather than PS2, it took several weeks of relentless playing of Fifa 2003, MGS2, Max Payne (hold on, I haven't completed that yet...), Devil May Cry (Oh... I haven't completed that either...) and Dynasty Warriors.

But I still came back. To JSR. Its beauty is... Old. Haven't ANYONE picked up on the sheer amazing ness of Cell Shading? (By ANYONE I mean a decent games maker.) So what if the music's Jpop, Techno and Jurassic 5, and the color is composed of sickening pale greens and fluorescent yellows? It's probably the coolest theme EVER. Come on, one of the US and UK's most popular activities. Splits two ways, boards and blades. Boarders win, but bladers will still have their 1-2 hours late at night in the small, firelight backstreets (I mean er... "Skateparks"). And another one of the US and UK's most popular activities (though SEGA will not condone it in any way) is Graffiti. Ok, it's not the best game EVER, but it's up there...

Yes, I've played JSRF (*sigh* Jet Set Radio Future) on X-Box. Yeah, it's great, woohoo. But ask ANY softcore gamer (oops, I mean X-Box gamer) what JSR is and their most likely response is "Which?" or "Say what?". That doesn't mean that if you own JSRF you're in the dark about JSR, I'm sure that at least 10 of you actually know about Sega! Ok, maybe that's being a little over optimistic.

Truly though, if you got a PS2 or (God forbid it) and X-Box recently, or even not so recently, please spare a thought for a big game that outshone it's little console...

~Alex
Mon 03/02/03 at 20:34
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah, I know this is one console resignation late, but you really don't need to tell me that.

Wow... I haven't been on these forums for ages, it was under my old s/n (Prawn Star then loads of others, remember me???) so at least 6 months, and I was greeted by a "Stuff this topic! No one uses it anymore".

Two mistakes.

1: The topic host is a FORUM, not a topic. Get a pair of glasses...
2: Hey look, two new posts. And me. At least two users...

Sorry, the topic title's a bit misleading... I'll go back to the main thought...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. Guess what I got last (yes, LAST chrimbo. As in 2001)? PS2. Yay, go me and all that. Guess what I got before that, on my birthday... Dreamcast. Boo. Or so it would seem after Christmas, and pretty much until last Friday. Ah, my long lost love, JSR (come on, if you didn't get that... Jet Set Radio). Yes, to get me to play on my Dreamcast rather than PS2, it took several weeks of relentless playing of Fifa 2003, MGS2, Max Payne (hold on, I haven't completed that yet...), Devil May Cry (Oh... I haven't completed that either...) and Dynasty Warriors.

But I still came back. To JSR. Its beauty is... Old. Haven't ANYONE picked up on the sheer amazing ness of Cell Shading? (By ANYONE I mean a decent games maker.) So what if the music's Jpop, Techno and Jurassic 5, and the color is composed of sickening pale greens and fluorescent yellows? It's probably the coolest theme EVER. Come on, one of the US and UK's most popular activities. Splits two ways, boards and blades. Boarders win, but bladers will still have their 1-2 hours late at night in the small, firelight backstreets (I mean er... "Skateparks"). And another one of the US and UK's most popular activities (though SEGA will not condone it in any way) is Graffiti. Ok, it's not the best game EVER, but it's up there...

Yes, I've played JSRF (*sigh* Jet Set Radio Future) on X-Box. Yeah, it's great, woohoo. But ask ANY softcore gamer (oops, I mean X-Box gamer) what JSR is and their most likely response is "Which?" or "Say what?". That doesn't mean that if you own JSRF you're in the dark about JSR, I'm sure that at least 10 of you actually know about Sega! Ok, maybe that's being a little over optimistic.

Truly though, if you got a PS2 or (God forbid it) and X-Box recently, or even not so recently, please spare a thought for a big game that outshone it's little console...

~Alex
Tue 04/02/03 at 07:13
Regular
JSR is one of my favourite games on the Dreamcast, but I must say that JSRF is better. I bought an Xbox for JSRF, amongst other great SEGA Xbox exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue II/III, Crazy Taxi 3, Tomjam & Earl, etc. I just wish they'd re-release Rez with more levels.... that would be the icing on the cake.
Tue 04/02/03 at 13:16
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Nomad $oul wrote:
> JSR is one of my favourite games on the Dreamcast, but I must say that
> JSRF is better. I bought an Xbox for JSRF, amongst other great SEGA
> Xbox exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue II/III, Crazy Taxi
> 3, Tomjam & Earl, etc. I just wish they'd re-release Rez with more
> levels.... that would be the icing on the cake.

--Nomad, someone wants to sell me Rez for a fairly high price.. how much would u be willing to pay for it? and whats the big deal? You seem to like it, and it has had a few rave reviews.
Tue 04/02/03 at 15:06
Regular
Console_kid wrote:
> --Nomad, someone wants to sell me Rez for a fairly high price.. how
> much would u be willing to pay for it? and whats the big deal? You
> seem to like it, and it has had a few rave reviews.

Even though I think Rez is class, I wouldn't like to recommend it to you strongly seeing that it costs a lot of money these days.
There's only 6 levels/areas and it's quite short.

Rez is more an audio/visual experience rather than a game [if you know what I mean]. You just float along on a predetermined path, lock-on strange flying creatures, shoot them, watch the colours explode, and listen to the sounds/music and feel the controller vibes merge with the onscreen action.

It's like psychedelic art in motion.

I\m not sure how much Rez costs these days, but I would only pay for it if you genuinely like the idea of what I've described.

It's original, but it's more style than content. I like it because it's a strange and beautiful game - different from everything else. I would never describe it as a great "game". It's more of a unique experience.

Some love it, some wonder what all the fuss is about. It's a tricky one to recommend really.
Tue 04/02/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Bicycle"
Wow... I've never played Rez... I feel this is kinda off topic. Ah well, Rez has too many violent colours. It *hurts*. Apart from that, it's a good shelf filler.
Tue 04/02/03 at 21:36
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Sylphetic wrote:
> Wow... I've never played Rez... I feel this is kinda off topic.

--Sorry bout that, come to think of it, it was very off topic, hehe.
Wed 05/02/03 at 07:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
No, it's ok... :). Anyway, does anyone else think they could trick Bush into thinking that Dreamcasts are vital for the both US's defence and Economy? Ah, the sweet joy of a DreamCast II. How cool eh?

[--Sylphetic--]
Wed 05/02/03 at 15:51
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Sylphetic wrote:
Ah, the sweet joy of a DreamCast II. How cool eh?
>
--Sweet Joy??? Bliss more like!!!!! A DC 2 would be amazing. A few other Sega fans agree with me, as I have said before, I would trade in my XBox if DC 2 was released. However I would preferably buy both. hehe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.