GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Origins of the mullet."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/02 at 13:41
Regular
Browsing the Guardian website (accidentally, honest), I came across this interesting debate.

Read and ponder.

Q)Why is a mullet hairstyle called a mullet?
Emily Fern, Hull UK

Mullett websites generally credit the coining of this phrase to Mike D of the Beastie Boys. This came from the song 'Mullet Head' on 1994's 'Ill Communication' album, which described the haircut and its wearers.
Jon Kay, London

The hairstyle was first worn by French fashion guru Henri Mollet in the early seventies. The "Mollet" did not see much light apart from in the french underground dance scene, until it was ressurected by popular television personalities such as Pat Sharp, the word having been anglicised by this point to "Mullet".
Gary Badger, Scarborough, England

There are mullet websites? Do these people have nothing better to do with their lives?
Simon Koppel, London

I'd swear the word "Mullet" was in use way before 1994...
Ebenezer, London, UK

Because it looks like you have a dead fish on your head?
Janet Edwards, London, England

It comes from the word "mullethead." meaning dim-witted, which originated in the late 19th century.
j666, san francisco usa

Mr Badger,
Please do not confuse our non-British friends by attributing the words 'popular' and 'personality' to Pat Sharp.
Joel Bradley, London England

I suppose we should put our heads together and mullet over...
Caragh Little, Portrush, Northern Ireland

Legend has it the fishmongers of Iceland cultivated the hair style to keep their necks warm and dry against the North Atlantic spray. Alternatively, the Mullet has its origin in the ancient Palaces and Universities of Poland. Mullet is actually a compound word combining the words "mull" to ponder, and "et" a Polish suffix meaning eternally. Thus the Mullet gets its name from those who were forever engaged in intellectual processes.
Richard Benjamin, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire

Other names are slightly more self-explanatory: the hairstyle is also known as the "Kentucky Waterfall" or the "Mississippi Top Hat" in parts of the US, and the "Bouncing Cobra" in parts of West Wales. In Germany it is known as the "Vokuhila" (vorne kurz, hinten lang= short at front, long at back).
Anna, Cardiff

I don't profess to know the answer to the great why? of the mullet, but for those seeking further enlightenment I offer the following resource; http://www.mullet.co.uk
Michael, Liverpool UK

Mullet is the heraldic term for a five-pointed star. Does that help?
Alan Mills, Alne UK

My American friends call this haircut a BIFRIB - Business In Front, Rockin' In Back.
Vicky Walker, London England

Very popular in various parts of the USA but mainly in the South. Has been nicknamed "Tennessee Top Hat" and "Kentucky Waterfall".
Steve Bonner, Austin, Texas USA

I believe Paul Newman refers to Mullet Heads in the film "Cool Hand Luke", made in 1967.
Chris Quinn, Widnes UK
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:41
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Browsing the Guardian website (accidentally, honest), I came across this interesting debate.

Read and ponder.

Q)Why is a mullet hairstyle called a mullet?
Emily Fern, Hull UK

Mullett websites generally credit the coining of this phrase to Mike D of the Beastie Boys. This came from the song 'Mullet Head' on 1994's 'Ill Communication' album, which described the haircut and its wearers.
Jon Kay, London

The hairstyle was first worn by French fashion guru Henri Mollet in the early seventies. The "Mollet" did not see much light apart from in the french underground dance scene, until it was ressurected by popular television personalities such as Pat Sharp, the word having been anglicised by this point to "Mullet".
Gary Badger, Scarborough, England

There are mullet websites? Do these people have nothing better to do with their lives?
Simon Koppel, London

I'd swear the word "Mullet" was in use way before 1994...
Ebenezer, London, UK

Because it looks like you have a dead fish on your head?
Janet Edwards, London, England

It comes from the word "mullethead." meaning dim-witted, which originated in the late 19th century.
j666, san francisco usa

Mr Badger,
Please do not confuse our non-British friends by attributing the words 'popular' and 'personality' to Pat Sharp.
Joel Bradley, London England

I suppose we should put our heads together and mullet over...
Caragh Little, Portrush, Northern Ireland

Legend has it the fishmongers of Iceland cultivated the hair style to keep their necks warm and dry against the North Atlantic spray. Alternatively, the Mullet has its origin in the ancient Palaces and Universities of Poland. Mullet is actually a compound word combining the words "mull" to ponder, and "et" a Polish suffix meaning eternally. Thus the Mullet gets its name from those who were forever engaged in intellectual processes.
Richard Benjamin, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire

Other names are slightly more self-explanatory: the hairstyle is also known as the "Kentucky Waterfall" or the "Mississippi Top Hat" in parts of the US, and the "Bouncing Cobra" in parts of West Wales. In Germany it is known as the "Vokuhila" (vorne kurz, hinten lang= short at front, long at back).
Anna, Cardiff

I don't profess to know the answer to the great why? of the mullet, but for those seeking further enlightenment I offer the following resource; http://www.mullet.co.uk
Michael, Liverpool UK

Mullet is the heraldic term for a five-pointed star. Does that help?
Alan Mills, Alne UK

My American friends call this haircut a BIFRIB - Business In Front, Rockin' In Back.
Vicky Walker, London England

Very popular in various parts of the USA but mainly in the South. Has been nicknamed "Tennessee Top Hat" and "Kentucky Waterfall".
Steve Bonner, Austin, Texas USA

I believe Paul Newman refers to Mullet Heads in the film "Cool Hand Luke", made in 1967.
Chris Quinn, Widnes UK
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've also heard "Hocket Hair" "Ape Drape" and "10/90" referring to length from front to back

www.mulletjunky.com

for all yer follicular needs.
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:49
Regular
www.mulletsgalore.com is a much better resource.

It certainly supplies all my mullet needs, which is none.

Honest.
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:51
Regular
"not dead"
The Super Furry Animals released a single called "Ice Hockey Hair"
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:55
Regular
It's a disease common tot he Englishman, it develops when the brain is functioning at sub-standard levels.........

Pat Sharp is the only confirmed case of external brain fungus..............

(as said in another thread already, no Englishmen were harmed obtaining this information)
Tue 15/01/02 at 13:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What about the yokel that egged Prescott?

He had an impressive mullet.
Slack-jawed farmer.
Tue 15/01/02 at 14:29
"slightlyshortertagl"
Who cares?

I didn't lie, I just ommitted crtain truths...
Tue 15/01/02 at 15:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why the constant and usually mis-spelt sentence at the bottom of your posts?

Is that cool with you kids today?
Tue 15/01/02 at 15:03
Regular
"¬_¬"
The mullet is the best hair style in the world !! :D
Tue 15/01/02 at 15:10
Regular
Look Grandad, just because you come from an age with proper grammer and heritage, don't take it out on us self-less cultureless fools....

;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.