GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tiring of Mario?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Mario World'.
Tue 04/02/03 at 14:13
Regular
If there's only ever one reason to buy Nintendo's latest home console, then it's for the all-new Super Mario adventure that no "Ninty" can ever go without. In the days of the NES we had 3 of them, the Super Nintendo had the excellent Super Mario World, then came the revolutionary Super Mario 64, and even today with the GameCube we've got the fun-filled Super Mario SunShine - with rumours of another all-new Super Mario title on the way this year, too!

But as we all very-well-know, our love for the porky little red-capped Italian plumber doesn't echo around the rest of the gaming world like it used to only a decade ago. For one reason and another, the kids of today just don't seem to be able to grasp onto the whole concept of `The Nintendo Difference`, and just don't give damn about Mario, or even Sonic. They're all much happier being call and playing games that they know they shouldn't at their age.

One thing that I've noticed during that past 10-years in the gaming world is that everything has changed. Everything, except Nintendo and SEGA. These 2 companies have been bagning out the same old stories over-and-over-again, with the same old characters in the same old way. Now, to us, there's not at all a lot wrong with that, but to the "outsiders" all they're going to see is the same-old-story with Nintendo; failing to keep-up with the trends and to introduce to us something new.

The days when Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog were going at it head-to-head 24/7 seem to have gone... Is it time for Nintendo to finally introduce something new to us? Are gamers in general really beginning to tire of Super Mario and his Princess-saving ways??

I think it's possible! And unless something is done about it soon, we could soon see Nintendo falling even-further-behind (if that's possible?!).
And it's not like Miyamoto hasn't got any bright and new ideas inside his head that could do just the job in supporting Mario, Link and Kirby in their bids to help the GameCube, and Nintendo, succeed.
Only problem is that they're all hidden-away in Japan; where Nintendo still rule supreme.

OK, so the GameCube may not be the multi-million record-breaking seller in Japan that the PlayStation2 is over-there and everywhere-else, but if you were to ask any Japanese gamers in the middle-east which games company they felt passionate for the most, then 9-out-of-10-times, I'm certain the answer would be Nintendo.
Nintendo are still appreciated over-there, where all the greatest games are kept hidden-away from the rest of the world.
Take for instance the much-wanted Animal Crossing; a game that will never see the light-of-day over here in Europe, even if it has made it to America.
When we first heard about this game, read more of the details about it and saw the superb potential it had, this instantly topped every GameCube-owner's most-wanted list - and I can even think of a few PS2 and X-Box owners or-two who have also seen the promise that this game beholds. And with the FreeLoader finally on its way here tommorow (or so we've been told this time...), there won't be a European GameCube owner out there without a US copy of this game on order (unless of course they already have import/modified 'Cubes).

Another of Nintendo's treasure-like franchises - the Fire Emblen series - has also come to my attention as an impressive RPG/Strategy-based game that has been around since the days of the Super Nintendo! And yet those of us living nowhere-near Nintendo's Japanese HQ are still yet to have seen this game in all its might and glory!
The Legend of Zelda games may be fine as they are for us Ninty's with a need for RPG's, but you cannot ignore the fact that this game has really done Nintendo justice in their homeland, just as another alternative to the same-old Mario and Zelda.
Just think what could happen if the Fire Emblen series was to finally emerge over here with the huge popularity and success of RPG's amongst today's gamers... (just look at Grix Thraves!)

And aswell as these 2, Kirby seems to be getting a lot of praise and attention from Nintendo fans over-there, but we just aren't seeing any of it right now.

I've always wondered how old Mario really is after having been in gaming for nearly 20-years now, but now I think his age is starting to show as today's younger generation would rather go for something "flashy" like Jak and Daxter, or Ratchet and Clank instead of the plumber that has it all (or at least, he did...).
If Nintendo were to give US something new for a change, instead of just keeping it all to themselves in Japan, then I believe we could see a different story in the battle for 2nd-place at least (if not for 1st, anyway).

C'mon Nintendo, you selfish gits! Give us some of that good stuff you've been hiding from us for years, and prove to us that you not only DO care about European gamers, but that there is more to Miyamoto's mind than boring-old Mario and Zelda!
Do you honestly think you can give us a good reason for not doing so?
We all loved Pikmin, and many of us took to Doshin the Giant, didn't we??
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:59
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Nintendo just need to advertise more, slip consoles out a little earlier than competition and maybe get multi format games at the same times.

Thing is most of the excellent titles available for Cube my friends don't know about until I tell them. Nothing wrong with Mario, I know two of my friends are buying Cube simply becuase of their love for the "mario games"

And these are the gun tootling GTA people you were on about.
Wed 05/02/03 at 14:49
Regular
C.A.A.T! wrote:

> Lets hope they don't make the same mistake again with Gamecubes
> products.

They already have, it's called Animal Crossing.
Wed 05/02/03 at 14:38
I agree! Some great games for N64 were never translated into english and that was a real shame. I think the reason for the N64 disc drive's faliure was the fact it was only brought out in its home country.

Lets hope they don't make the same mistake again with Gamecubes products.
Wed 05/02/03 at 14:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I wasn't trying to say that Nintendo should ditch Super Mario games or anything, only that I feel they need to introduce some of their other Japan-only franchises elsewhere around the world, to show other gamers that there really is more to Nintendo than just Mario and Zelda.

And Tiltawhirl...
You can say what you want, it's your opinion.
But I think that even you can agree we've seen a lot worse posted in this forum during the last week-or-so!
Wed 05/02/03 at 09:20
Removing Mario from Ninty would be like removing Mickey Mouse from Disney! He's one of those bizarre traditions that remind us of the roots of the company.

You don't have to play the games...you don't even have to like the games. Heck, there are plenty of new characters flooding onto the market and the games they appear in aren't necessarily better just cause they have different heroes/heroines in them!

And besides, everyone has different opinions. You would rather see a whole variety of new faces. I...don't mind either way. I'm just looking for a decent game that'll hold my attention. There you go ^_-
Tue 04/02/03 at 14:29
Regular
Errrr this post doesn't even warrant a reply. Try doing a bit of research next time, the majority of this is ill informed toss.
Tue 04/02/03 at 14:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If there's only ever one reason to buy Nintendo's latest home console, then it's for the all-new Super Mario adventure that no "Ninty" can ever go without. In the days of the NES we had 3 of them, the Super Nintendo had the excellent Super Mario World, then came the revolutionary Super Mario 64, and even today with the GameCube we've got the fun-filled Super Mario SunShine - with rumours of another all-new Super Mario title on the way this year, too!

But as we all very-well-know, our love for the porky little red-capped Italian plumber doesn't echo around the rest of the gaming world like it used to only a decade ago. For one reason and another, the kids of today just don't seem to be able to grasp onto the whole concept of `The Nintendo Difference`, and just don't give damn about Mario, or even Sonic. They're all much happier being call and playing games that they know they shouldn't at their age.

One thing that I've noticed during that past 10-years in the gaming world is that everything has changed. Everything, except Nintendo and SEGA. These 2 companies have been bagning out the same old stories over-and-over-again, with the same old characters in the same old way. Now, to us, there's not at all a lot wrong with that, but to the "outsiders" all they're going to see is the same-old-story with Nintendo; failing to keep-up with the trends and to introduce to us something new.

The days when Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog were going at it head-to-head 24/7 seem to have gone... Is it time for Nintendo to finally introduce something new to us? Are gamers in general really beginning to tire of Super Mario and his Princess-saving ways??

I think it's possible! And unless something is done about it soon, we could soon see Nintendo falling even-further-behind (if that's possible?!).
And it's not like Miyamoto hasn't got any bright and new ideas inside his head that could do just the job in supporting Mario, Link and Kirby in their bids to help the GameCube, and Nintendo, succeed.
Only problem is that they're all hidden-away in Japan; where Nintendo still rule supreme.

OK, so the GameCube may not be the multi-million record-breaking seller in Japan that the PlayStation2 is over-there and everywhere-else, but if you were to ask any Japanese gamers in the middle-east which games company they felt passionate for the most, then 9-out-of-10-times, I'm certain the answer would be Nintendo.
Nintendo are still appreciated over-there, where all the greatest games are kept hidden-away from the rest of the world.
Take for instance the much-wanted Animal Crossing; a game that will never see the light-of-day over here in Europe, even if it has made it to America.
When we first heard about this game, read more of the details about it and saw the superb potential it had, this instantly topped every GameCube-owner's most-wanted list - and I can even think of a few PS2 and X-Box owners or-two who have also seen the promise that this game beholds. And with the FreeLoader finally on its way here tommorow (or so we've been told this time...), there won't be a European GameCube owner out there without a US copy of this game on order (unless of course they already have import/modified 'Cubes).

Another of Nintendo's treasure-like franchises - the Fire Emblen series - has also come to my attention as an impressive RPG/Strategy-based game that has been around since the days of the Super Nintendo! And yet those of us living nowhere-near Nintendo's Japanese HQ are still yet to have seen this game in all its might and glory!
The Legend of Zelda games may be fine as they are for us Ninty's with a need for RPG's, but you cannot ignore the fact that this game has really done Nintendo justice in their homeland, just as another alternative to the same-old Mario and Zelda.
Just think what could happen if the Fire Emblen series was to finally emerge over here with the huge popularity and success of RPG's amongst today's gamers... (just look at Grix Thraves!)

And aswell as these 2, Kirby seems to be getting a lot of praise and attention from Nintendo fans over-there, but we just aren't seeing any of it right now.

I've always wondered how old Mario really is after having been in gaming for nearly 20-years now, but now I think his age is starting to show as today's younger generation would rather go for something "flashy" like Jak and Daxter, or Ratchet and Clank instead of the plumber that has it all (or at least, he did...).
If Nintendo were to give US something new for a change, instead of just keeping it all to themselves in Japan, then I believe we could see a different story in the battle for 2nd-place at least (if not for 1st, anyway).

C'mon Nintendo, you selfish gits! Give us some of that good stuff you've been hiding from us for years, and prove to us that you not only DO care about European gamers, but that there is more to Miyamoto's mind than boring-old Mario and Zelda!
Do you honestly think you can give us a good reason for not doing so?
We all loved Pikmin, and many of us took to Doshin the Giant, didn't we??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.