GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Competition = Success"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/02 at 11:34
Regular
There’s no point in doing anything at all unless there’s other people/things involved, is there? There would be no point in having the Premier League if there were only one team in it. There would be no point in marriage if there were only one person. There would be no point in practically anything, actually.

The same goes for the console market.

If there were only Nintendo then they couldn’t fail because there would be no one to beat them. The same goes for Sony and Microtosh... Soft. Without anyone to compete against they have no one to beat and no one to lose to.
They have no drive to keep bringing out better and better games, better and better pieces of hardware and better and better consoles.

People say that games, controllers, media hype... Whatever, is what makes the gaming world what it is. And there they could not be further from the truth.

If Mario had never been invented, Sony would never have needed to create Solid Snake or Crash. They would not need to create a mascot for themselves if their main rivals had no mascot.

Equally, if the PlayStation had never been made, do you think the N64 would have been? Yes but not quite so soon. Nintendo would have had nothing to beat and so would not have needed to bring out a new console while they were doing just fine with the SNES.

Without a motive, no one ever advances, because, without a motive, there is no NEED to advance. If Liverpool and Everton weren’t such huge rivals, would the Merseyside Derby’s be as important to either team? No. If the N64 had no competition, would we ever have progressed to a GameCube? Again, yes, but it would have taken a good deal longer than 4 years to come about.

Think about that for a second, it’s only been 5 years since the N64 was first released. On March 7th 1997 it hit the public. The GameCube was launched in Japan only a few months back. Why did they feel the need to bring out a new console so (relatively) soon after the N64 was out? Because they would have fallen behind in the consoles market. That’s why. Companies make games and consoles to make money. If they don’t have a new cutting edge piece of hardware, whereas, their nearest rival’s do, which one do you think will fall behind?

Why is the GameBoy Advance doing so well? For two reasons: 1) It’s a great piece of machinery and 2) Because it has no competition.

There is nothing handheld that even comes within a light year of the GBA.

Human nature forces us to want to beat someone else at something (Or is it the testosterone? ;-D ) Either way, we always want to be the best, which is why competition and rivalries exist. And it is also why the gaming world is what it is today and why it has such awesome prospects for the future.

RBS
Tue 15/01/02 at 11:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
There’s no point in doing anything at all unless there’s other people/things involved, is there? There would be no point in having the Premier League if there were only one team in it. There would be no point in marriage if there were only one person. There would be no point in practically anything, actually.

The same goes for the console market.

If there were only Nintendo then they couldn’t fail because there would be no one to beat them. The same goes for Sony and Microtosh... Soft. Without anyone to compete against they have no one to beat and no one to lose to.
They have no drive to keep bringing out better and better games, better and better pieces of hardware and better and better consoles.

People say that games, controllers, media hype... Whatever, is what makes the gaming world what it is. And there they could not be further from the truth.

If Mario had never been invented, Sony would never have needed to create Solid Snake or Crash. They would not need to create a mascot for themselves if their main rivals had no mascot.

Equally, if the PlayStation had never been made, do you think the N64 would have been? Yes but not quite so soon. Nintendo would have had nothing to beat and so would not have needed to bring out a new console while they were doing just fine with the SNES.

Without a motive, no one ever advances, because, without a motive, there is no NEED to advance. If Liverpool and Everton weren’t such huge rivals, would the Merseyside Derby’s be as important to either team? No. If the N64 had no competition, would we ever have progressed to a GameCube? Again, yes, but it would have taken a good deal longer than 4 years to come about.

Think about that for a second, it’s only been 5 years since the N64 was first released. On March 7th 1997 it hit the public. The GameCube was launched in Japan only a few months back. Why did they feel the need to bring out a new console so (relatively) soon after the N64 was out? Because they would have fallen behind in the consoles market. That’s why. Companies make games and consoles to make money. If they don’t have a new cutting edge piece of hardware, whereas, their nearest rival’s do, which one do you think will fall behind?

Why is the GameBoy Advance doing so well? For two reasons: 1) It’s a great piece of machinery and 2) Because it has no competition.

There is nothing handheld that even comes within a light year of the GBA.

Human nature forces us to want to beat someone else at something (Or is it the testosterone? ;-D ) Either way, we always want to be the best, which is why competition and rivalries exist. And it is also why the gaming world is what it is today and why it has such awesome prospects for the future.

RBS
Tue 15/01/02 at 11:44
Regular
This is a nice rose tinted way of looking at the console market, but at the end of the day, there is only one incentive in a capitalist society, to make money. True, some individuals working for a company may be following ideals and dreams, but if that isn't making money, watch them be punted out the door, don't get too carried away in the romance, money makes the world go round.
Tue 15/01/02 at 11:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
You speak the truth there. But I think most of us know this already.
Oh and I am better than you!

Without competition things are pants. Take the operating systems side of the industry, Microsoft have no real competition so we are stuck with what they produce, the only other choices are Linux which isn't easy for beginners or buy a mac and use Mac OS.

Competition makes developers work that little harder to try make it the best they can, expect great games and consoles to appear as long as there is competition between the developers.
Tue 15/01/02 at 11:47
Regular
"You've upset me"
Bonus wrote:
don't get too
> carried away in the romance, money makes the world go round.

Huh? I know, that's what I was saying...
Tue 15/01/02 at 16:18
Regular
May GAD brighten your life and your goat have shiny hooves.
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:20
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Stryke wrote:
> May GAD brighten your life and your goat have shiny hooves.

:D Hehe... I agree though. ;-)
Tue 15/01/02 at 18:43
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
nice post, next time i'll read it...
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:44
"possibly impossible"
hm, be careful of your examples. Marriage, is it a competition? Not really (to most, anyway), yet both parties survive well in it.

Does competition immediately equal one winner, or any winner? To work in competition against someone you are trying to do something better than them, but there is nothing that says there should be one clear winner. I agree that competition is good for forcing technology and also for lowering prices, as without it companies could charge over the odds for their product and get away with it. Much better for the consumer.

There is a point, however, that this all gets out of hand. Imagine having a console out for 1 year, then get replaced by another console from the same company with better technology. Far fetched? Maybe not, Sony have already suggested that the benchmark for a console's life can be shortened, although we still have no idea of the public's reaction to this. This is caused again by that company worrying about their product not measuring up to the competition, but if they bring out something far more advanced, then perhaps their rivals may think of doing the same thing at a far earlier stage. That would be worrying for the consumer and expensive for games companies. Don't say it wouldn't happen either, it may yet.

If you look at the consumer electronics market in general, especially within the entertainment sector, there is a lot of movement in technology and many new products are bought out each month. The problem with comparing this to the games console market is that consoles all have different format media and other technology tends to be either multi-format or set on a standard format such as the CD or DVD. If the trend becomes to launch a new console every 2 years or so, then the industry may well look to a single format/multi platform system, not something I’d like to see.
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
pb wrote:
> hm, be careful of your examples. Marriage, is it a competition? Not really (to
> most, anyway), yet both parties survive well in it.

Heheh, sorry I worded that wrong :-D

By that I didn't mean marriage was a competition, I meant that there was no point in doing it if there was only one person.
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I don't entirely agree...

Clearly capitalist competition is very important in a market like the games industry for driving development forwards.

However, if you were to apply communism to other areas of society such as agriculture and industry, then the whole ecconomy benefits. Capitalism is great at pushing the top people higher and keeping the bottom people down...

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.