GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Not over-priced"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/09/00 at 14:28
Regular
A lot has been said about the price of Sony's new console. Personally I dont see what all the fuss is about. For £299 you get a DVD player where the price for that alone is £150-£300. You get a quality next generation games box, just look at some of the games already: Metal Gear 2, Gran Turismo 2000, Tekken Tag, The Getaway, Star Wars Starfighter, The Bouncer, etc... All these games look stunning, we will have to wait to see how they play but things will only get better and better as time goes on. Add to this PSX 1 playback and you already get a huge catalogue of games which will look better than ever, and still loads more to be released. Then there will be the Broadband/Hard-Drive add on late 2001. Just imagine being able to download films then saving them to the Hard-Drive in no time at all.
I seem to remember when the original Playstation was first released priced at £299 people were complaining then, but for this next generation platform in this day and age, it all seems a small price to pay for a system that will revolutionise the way we look at game consoles.
Sat 09/09/00 at 14:28
Regular
"Whatever!"
A lot has been said about the price of Sony's new console. Personally I dont see what all the fuss is about. For £299 you get a DVD player where the price for that alone is £150-£300. You get a quality next generation games box, just look at some of the games already: Metal Gear 2, Gran Turismo 2000, Tekken Tag, The Getaway, Star Wars Starfighter, The Bouncer, etc... All these games look stunning, we will have to wait to see how they play but things will only get better and better as time goes on. Add to this PSX 1 playback and you already get a huge catalogue of games which will look better than ever, and still loads more to be released. Then there will be the Broadband/Hard-Drive add on late 2001. Just imagine being able to download films then saving them to the Hard-Drive in no time at all.
I seem to remember when the original Playstation was first released priced at £299 people were complaining then, but for this next generation platform in this day and age, it all seems a small price to pay for a system that will revolutionise the way we look at game consoles.
Sun 10/09/00 at 14:46
I can understand what you are saying - £300 is not a lot of money today and on paper the PS2 seems well worth it.

But look at it realistically. The DVD player quality is poor. I've only heard bad things about it, and most of that has come from PS sites.

The games you mention do look amazing, but it could be 12-18months before we see most of them (GT2000 and TTT being the exceptions) and what will the competition be like then? The GameCube and X-Box demos look better already and they've got 12 months to fully develop their games. The only real next-gen console to compete against the PS2 is the Dreamcast. It's half the price and games like Soul Calibur make TTT look nothing special. Have you seen the latest MSR demos? For me, it looks better than GT2000. I've even read (on an multi-format site) that GT2 running on Bleem!Cast looks better than GT2000!! I don't know how true that is, but if the PS2 is truely next-gen where's the game available now that I can buy on launch that makes the DC look second rate? There isn't one.

In twelve months time there may well be such a game, but by then both the GameCube and the X-box will be available showing true next gen potential. I'll be waiting with my £300 for then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.