GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2D -> 3D: A step backwards?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 20:53
Regular
On consoles now a 2D game is virtually unheard of. But is this a good thing?

There have been many hits in recent years on the PC which have been essentially 2 dimensional titles. Games from an isometric viewpoint are doing particularly well. The Baldurs Gate series resurrected the ‘beardy’ D&D style RPG to video gaming, and the recently released Commandos 2 and its predecessor offer unparalleled strategy with meticulous planning required to complete your missions. In these titles, where you must control multiple characters, but where each is integral to your success is where 2D games seem to be thriving. You do have to control many units in real time strategys, but most units you will willingly send to their doom for the greater good. Not like Baldurs Gate, Commandos, or even the worms series, where each character under your control must be preserved. And real time strategy games still use 2D. Red Alert 2 anyone? All isometric 2D (except Worms). GTA and GTA2 were both 2D affairs with a birds eye view, and were some of the best driving games available for their simplicity, and pick up and play sensibility, but also the great depth and all the missions.

But what about other genres? Platforming for a start, was revolutionised by Mario 64, but anyone who has played Mario World, or Mario World 2: Yoshis Island, will tell you that 3D platforming is radically different to 2D. In 2D games you have simply to get from one end of a level to the other, maybe beating a boss. This may seem linear, but it can be anything but it. Most Mario titles since Mario Bros. 3 on the NES include different routes through lots of levels, sometimes taking the other route would open up a secret level. Sometimes (like, memorably on Wario land 1 on GB) secret routes could open up a whole new world, with a number of levels. A prime example of this is Rares Donkey Kong Country 3 on Snes, which was probably the platforming game with the most depth I have EVER played. More depth than Mario 64 in my opinion. Every level included bonus barrels, where you tried to get a coin in a certain time limit, and getting enough could lead to the secret world. Completing the secret world let you get a helicopter type thing (gyrocopter maybe?). All this as well as the main quest, and other sub quests for certain characters.

3D games have added a lot to the gaming experience, but I think that so far no 3D game has produced the depth, polish or just overall gameplay we began to see near the end of consoles 2D eras. Hopefully, this next generation of consoles will produce that.
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:57
Yeah, I completely agree with you VenomByte! We add one visual dimension, and maybe it does open up new possibilities, but it takes away a lot too. 2 dimensional games shouldn't just be abandoned now, because there is now the ability to create 3D.
Tue 15/01/02 at 01:46
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It seems to be that when we add the third dimension, we lose more than one dimension elsewhere.
Tue 15/01/02 at 01:43
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
i played Capcom vs SNK 2 on the PS2 on the weekend (thanx savatt for bring that over) and i have to say 2d beat em up beat the hell at off the 3d beat em ups.

i like the old street fighter ah memories.

ohhh just spotted a pun there on the top para lol
Mon 14/01/02 at 22:09
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
yup it will take time but were starting to get there, some very good 3d games are already starting to come out.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:53
On consoles now a 2D game is virtually unheard of. But is this a good thing?

There have been many hits in recent years on the PC which have been essentially 2 dimensional titles. Games from an isometric viewpoint are doing particularly well. The Baldurs Gate series resurrected the ‘beardy’ D&D style RPG to video gaming, and the recently released Commandos 2 and its predecessor offer unparalleled strategy with meticulous planning required to complete your missions. In these titles, where you must control multiple characters, but where each is integral to your success is where 2D games seem to be thriving. You do have to control many units in real time strategys, but most units you will willingly send to their doom for the greater good. Not like Baldurs Gate, Commandos, or even the worms series, where each character under your control must be preserved. And real time strategy games still use 2D. Red Alert 2 anyone? All isometric 2D (except Worms). GTA and GTA2 were both 2D affairs with a birds eye view, and were some of the best driving games available for their simplicity, and pick up and play sensibility, but also the great depth and all the missions.

But what about other genres? Platforming for a start, was revolutionised by Mario 64, but anyone who has played Mario World, or Mario World 2: Yoshis Island, will tell you that 3D platforming is radically different to 2D. In 2D games you have simply to get from one end of a level to the other, maybe beating a boss. This may seem linear, but it can be anything but it. Most Mario titles since Mario Bros. 3 on the NES include different routes through lots of levels, sometimes taking the other route would open up a secret level. Sometimes (like, memorably on Wario land 1 on GB) secret routes could open up a whole new world, with a number of levels. A prime example of this is Rares Donkey Kong Country 3 on Snes, which was probably the platforming game with the most depth I have EVER played. More depth than Mario 64 in my opinion. Every level included bonus barrels, where you tried to get a coin in a certain time limit, and getting enough could lead to the secret world. Completing the secret world let you get a helicopter type thing (gyrocopter maybe?). All this as well as the main quest, and other sub quests for certain characters.

3D games have added a lot to the gaming experience, but I think that so far no 3D game has produced the depth, polish or just overall gameplay we began to see near the end of consoles 2D eras. Hopefully, this next generation of consoles will produce that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.