GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What version is your PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 20:49
Regular
Hopefully this will pass sometime.

Well as everyone knows consoles are re-engineered and re-released to cut down on cost and fix problems. The PS2 is no exception to this and therefore a few versions of PS2s are now out around the world.

Im curious as to what version your PS2 is, when you bought it, and if you had any problems with it.

Identifying your PS2...

With exception of the JAP models (which is 1000x), the other PS2s have a code written on the sticker on the back of the unit in the form 3000x.

x is a number which refers to the country. 1 = USA, 2 = AUS, 3 = UK, 4 = EURO...

So im guessing (for examples that) MM's ps2 is 30001, RACERS PS2 is 30002, 00seven's PS2 is 30003 and Samwise's PS2 is 30004.

Also note if you got a PS2 GT pack the code will be 3500x

Next is the version... in America they have v1, v2, v3, v4 and v5, whilst in UK and Euro they have v3, v4 and v5.

HOW TO IDENTIFY VERSIONS AND WHAT THEY MEAN!!!!

V3 (Launch version for Europe, over a year old) = 10 screws on the bottom of the unit.

V4 (Released in March, DVD fixes and stuff) = 8 screws on the bottom of the unit.

Then came a special console known as 3000xR. So in UK it was known as 30003R whilst in america it was known as 30001R (see sticker where normal code would be).

30003R can come in both v4 and v5 flavours which both have 8 screws on bottom.

Remove expansion bay cover (doesn't invalidate warrentee, its just a cover on back which you can take on and off for extra hardware).

THE R MEANS THESE PS2s HAVE BETTER LASERS!!!!

30003R v4 - Metal rim on cover and no screw inside expansion bay.

30003R v5 - Plastic expansion bay cover and a screw inside.

V5 is the latest PS2. This PS2 doesn't run software like DVD region X and also has the latest drivers already installed (like what you get with DVD remote control).

The different PS2 versions have mainboards that are different. As new versions are released the mainboard is normally different to the previous version in a way that it makes it cheaper to produce for Sony and is more anti pirate like.

Apparently the better the version the more solid the unit. Less lip sync, less errors and better drive lasers etc.

So now identify your PS2, say when bought it and if you have had problems.

Mine is 30003 V3, bought on launch, had problems after about 12 months, had a lot of reconditioned v3's sent to me which have had problems as well.

Hope you find this post interesting, it should hopefully show that the new PS2s are more stable.
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:51
Travelling through time to change the future for 1 lucky girl...Mystique!
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:22
Regular
hey girls..its The Shermanator
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:20
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
mines a 3003 (i think)
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:11
No when my PS2 broke i had v3's sent to me
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:07
Regular
D3AD_RAGE wrote:
> v3's sent to me

sent to you?
Do you work for Sony or are you a fix it guy?

oh i have a launch PS2..no problems so far..touch wood(places hand on pb's head)
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mines a launch machine. Nice post though.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:56
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Good post, especially from a newb. Thanks for info!
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:53
"possibly impossible"
I believe mine is V4, although I'd have to look tomorrow. Got it in Spain.

Not had any problems, but then again, I never play DVDs in it, ever. One day I'll get around to it, but with 2 other DVD players in the front room, I doubt it.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:49
Hopefully this will pass sometime.

Well as everyone knows consoles are re-engineered and re-released to cut down on cost and fix problems. The PS2 is no exception to this and therefore a few versions of PS2s are now out around the world.

Im curious as to what version your PS2 is, when you bought it, and if you had any problems with it.

Identifying your PS2...

With exception of the JAP models (which is 1000x), the other PS2s have a code written on the sticker on the back of the unit in the form 3000x.

x is a number which refers to the country. 1 = USA, 2 = AUS, 3 = UK, 4 = EURO...

So im guessing (for examples that) MM's ps2 is 30001, RACERS PS2 is 30002, 00seven's PS2 is 30003 and Samwise's PS2 is 30004.

Also note if you got a PS2 GT pack the code will be 3500x

Next is the version... in America they have v1, v2, v3, v4 and v5, whilst in UK and Euro they have v3, v4 and v5.

HOW TO IDENTIFY VERSIONS AND WHAT THEY MEAN!!!!

V3 (Launch version for Europe, over a year old) = 10 screws on the bottom of the unit.

V4 (Released in March, DVD fixes and stuff) = 8 screws on the bottom of the unit.

Then came a special console known as 3000xR. So in UK it was known as 30003R whilst in america it was known as 30001R (see sticker where normal code would be).

30003R can come in both v4 and v5 flavours which both have 8 screws on bottom.

Remove expansion bay cover (doesn't invalidate warrentee, its just a cover on back which you can take on and off for extra hardware).

THE R MEANS THESE PS2s HAVE BETTER LASERS!!!!

30003R v4 - Metal rim on cover and no screw inside expansion bay.

30003R v5 - Plastic expansion bay cover and a screw inside.

V5 is the latest PS2. This PS2 doesn't run software like DVD region X and also has the latest drivers already installed (like what you get with DVD remote control).

The different PS2 versions have mainboards that are different. As new versions are released the mainboard is normally different to the previous version in a way that it makes it cheaper to produce for Sony and is more anti pirate like.

Apparently the better the version the more solid the unit. Less lip sync, less errors and better drive lasers etc.

So now identify your PS2, say when bought it and if you have had problems.

Mine is 30003 V3, bought on launch, had problems after about 12 months, had a lot of reconditioned v3's sent to me which have had problems as well.

Hope you find this post interesting, it should hopefully show that the new PS2s are more stable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.