GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Phantasy Star On-line Prices..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Phantasy Star Online'.
Wed 05/02/03 at 15:05
Regular
Taken from Cue-Europe.com (again):

"Information on how much the online game will cost you."

"Apparently the first GameCube online game will be available packaged with the modem or the broadband adapter for 49.99 Euros. Many have been worried about a monthly charge, and there is one, but it's reportedly going to be under 8 Euros a month, not too much to ask."

----------

€50? Doesn't sound like too much, really.
Plus, you get either adapter with it, too.
And the €8-per-month charge doesn't sound too-much either - much cheaper than The Sims On-line will be for PC Gamers.

But Phantasy Star On-line isn't a game that grabs my interest. :P

Good prices though.
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:22
Regular
Depends on if your area has Broadband services. Thats the main reason Online hasnt been launched here in the UK yet. THeres a major lack of Broadband customers due to the lack of availability. In contrast to the USA and Japan where basically anyone who wants it can get it :|
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:16
Regular
Dr Duck wrote:
> Another point - using a dial-up and the 56k modem, will there be call
> charges on top of the monthly fee? Or will they provide a free-phone
> number?

I suppose it depends on what ISP you have. You should just get the Broadband modem anyway.
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:07
Regular
Hmmm, not sure, this online fee for the actual game has thrown my brain out of the window. If I was Nintendo I would simply allow people to buy either a 56k or Broadband modem and then use their current ISP to dial up to the internet. The thing is when Sega did it they decided to make that thing called DreamArena which made you pay for however long you were connected and you couldnt use any other ISP. I am hoping Nintendo wont do this as I really would prefer to use the current ISP I am on.
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:57
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> If this is the route online gaming takes it could be the death of us
> all.. (well, our wallets anyway).

Or the death of online gaming...

Another point - using a dial-up and the 56k modem, will there be call charges on top of the monthly fee? Or will they provide a free-phone number?
It'd seem a little odd to cover call charges from the dial-up but charge the same as for broadband access...
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:56
Regular
You're right there, MJswerve. And usually, if an MMORPG is good enough - you'll only ever really need one.
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:53
Regular
Your telling me I cant use the Broadband adapter simply to use my BY Broadband on my GC? Online fee's are stupid in my opinion. Tends to only be RPGs that apply them however so hopefully all of the other games wont work like this :|
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:31
Regular
If this is the route online gaming takes it could be the death of us all.. (well, our wallets anyway).
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:12
Regular
Dr Duck wrote:

> If we have different companies, or even different games, charging
> their own monthly rates then £5 each looks more like robbery.

That's the problem Xbox owners are already starting to face, they have to pay a yearly subscription, and now companies are starting to charge for their games seperatly, per month. And PSO on the XBox is £8.99 I think.
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:08
Regular
Don't know how much a modem would be alone, but if you're going to get one anyway, it'll probably make the PSO bundle look pretty cheap.

Online costs - if it expands to £5.50 a month to cover all online games, great.

If we have different companies, or even different games, charging their own monthly rates then £5 each looks more like robbery.
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
PSO games are rubbish and the original PS games are even worse.

Barge poles at the ready

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.