GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Creating your first myspace comment box!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/07 at 15:10
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Creating your first myspace comment box!

Myspace is perhaps now one of the biggest social networking sites around and most people have their own profile. I thought that as it is now incredibly popular, i should post a few tutorials and how you can modify you Myspace page.
Here, i am going to explain how you can make you profile page more user friendly and how you can personalise and create your own comment box.

Comment box, is that some sort of disease?

Myspace is all about commenting your friends. It can be seen as the equivalent of starting a conversation on MSN, but a conversation which is stored on you myspace profile. A comment box allows anyone who's on you profile page to comment you (begin talking to you) much more easily than the default Add comment button.
Comment boxes are more user-friendly as they allow the user to send a comment directly from your page without having to navigate through numerous other pages.

Coding a comment box:

Coding a myspace comment box is done through using HTML and CSS , as myspace allows you to enter both of these coding languages onto your page.

First, sign into myspace using your account details and select Edit profile. This opens up "Interests and Personality" which is basically where you enter the information which goes onto you profile page. There are a number of boxes where you can enter text such as: "Headline", "About me", "Who I'd like to meet" and a few others.
Now where the text goes on your profile page is determined by where you enter the text on this page. For example if you put the coding form you comment box in the About Me section it would appear (by default*) on the right hand side of your profile. If you entered the code in the Music box it would appear on the left of your profile.

*Where the text is placed on your profile page can be modified but by default it will always appear in the same place if you don't alter any of the core layout coding.

In this tutorial i will enter the comment box coding into the About me section which is the probably the best place for it to appear on your profile page, as it will be easily seen by the user.

The code:

<form method="post" action=" http://comments.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.ConfirmComment">
<input name="friendID" value=" *friend id* " type="hidden">
<textarea name="f_comments" class="COMMENT">Dear, </textarea><br>
<input type="submit"class="SEND" value="send"></form>

As you can see, this HTML code creates a basic form, which by itself would create a basic text box (exactly like the ones you use on this site to post replies and begin threads).

The Magical *Friend Id*

<input name="friendID" [b][u]value=" *friend id* "[/u][/b] type="hidden">

This section of code above is where the extremely important friend id number comes into play. Your friend id on myspace is a unique number which is specific to you and so when you want a comment to be delivered to you, entering the correct friend id is essential. Let's say your friend id was 123456, when this is the code you'll be using:

<form method="post" action=" http://comments.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.ConfirmComment">
<input name="friendID" [b]value="123456"[/b] type="hidden">

[Note: ensure you leave the input name="friendID" as it is!]

Entering a default message into the text area

If you test this code then you should get a fairly boring white and grey form which has the message Dear, in the main large box. This is the box in which anyone wishing to comment you will type their message. Just like this is the textbox i am typing into at the moment in order to post this thread.

Say, we wanted to change the default message from Dear, to Leave me a comment or whatever you like, then the code would look like this:

<textarea name="f_comments" class="COMMENT">Leave me a comment </textarea><br>

If you don't want a default message to appear then just leave it blank-

<textarea name="f_comments" class="COMMENT"></textarea>

And voila, there's your first basic comment box.
However, unfortunately at the moment it looks a bit bland and lacks colour and personality so next i will show you how to make it look attractive:

<input name="friendID" value="123456" type="hidden">

<style type="text/css">

input.SEND
{background-color:black !important;
font-size:12px !important;
font-family:century gothic !important;
color:orange !important;
border-color:orange !important;}

textarea.COMMENT
</style>

As you can see this next part of coding changes the appearance of the text box and so we can now eliminate the drab greys and whites.

input.SEND and input.COMMENT

I have modified the send button and the text box so that they now have a black background and funky orange outlines. I have also changed the text font so that it's more attractive. You can use as much CSS or as little as you want to customise the textbox and the button, be as imaginative as possible.

Going the extra mile

In order to make you comment box that bit more personal you can give the text box and the button backgrounds instead of colouring them in, lets try this:

<style type="text/css">

input.SEND
{color:white !important;
background-image:url("coolbackground1.jpg");}

textarea.COMMENT
background-image:url("coolbackground2.jpg");}

</style>

Obviously, you can replace the "coolbackground.jpg" with the address of any image you want to be the background and there you have it!

Now, we have made your comment box look much more funky!
Go ahead and experiment to your heart's content with whatever look suits you profile page and be as imaginative as you want!

Look out for more myspace tutorials in the future!
nitro_goat
Wed 25/07/07 at 22:12
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
...or maybe its just because MySpace is rubbish. :p

But this tutorial reminded me of something. Any hope of these forums offering proper code quoting yet (ie maintaining formatting to help with readability)?
Wed 25/07/07 at 21:10
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> I've never even intentionally visited MySpace, nevermind
> created
> a profile on there. :P
>
> glad it's not just me then ;¬)

I suppose it depends on how old you are and whether many people have it in your circle of friends.
In fact, im on myspace at the moment :P
Wed 25/07/07 at 18:26
"Are you sure?"
Garin wrote:
> I've never even intentionally visited MySpace, nevermind created
> a profile on there. :P

glad it's not just me then ;¬)
Wed 25/07/07 at 18:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Guess I must be a bit slow, has everyone else here got a MySpace
> profile?

I've never even intentionally visited MySpace, nevermind created a profile on there. :P
Wed 25/07/07 at 17:54
"Are you sure?"
:. nitro_goat .: wrote:
> ... most people have their own profile...

Hmmm... see tag line

Guess I must be a bit slow, has everyone else here got a MySpace profile?
Wed 25/07/07 at 15:10
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Creating your first myspace comment box!

Myspace is perhaps now one of the biggest social networking sites around and most people have their own profile. I thought that as it is now incredibly popular, i should post a few tutorials and how you can modify you Myspace page.
Here, i am going to explain how you can make you profile page more user friendly and how you can personalise and create your own comment box.

Comment box, is that some sort of disease?

Myspace is all about commenting your friends. It can be seen as the equivalent of starting a conversation on MSN, but a conversation which is stored on you myspace profile. A comment box allows anyone who's on you profile page to comment you (begin talking to you) much more easily than the default Add comment button.
Comment boxes are more user-friendly as they allow the user to send a comment directly from your page without having to navigate through numerous other pages.

Coding a comment box:

Coding a myspace comment box is done through using HTML and CSS , as myspace allows you to enter both of these coding languages onto your page.

First, sign into myspace using your account details and select Edit profile. This opens up "Interests and Personality" which is basically where you enter the information which goes onto you profile page. There are a number of boxes where you can enter text such as: "Headline", "About me", "Who I'd like to meet" and a few others.
Now where the text goes on your profile page is determined by where you enter the text on this page. For example if you put the coding form you comment box in the About Me section it would appear (by default*) on the right hand side of your profile. If you entered the code in the Music box it would appear on the left of your profile.

*Where the text is placed on your profile page can be modified but by default it will always appear in the same place if you don't alter any of the core layout coding.

In this tutorial i will enter the comment box coding into the About me section which is the probably the best place for it to appear on your profile page, as it will be easily seen by the user.

The code:

<input name="friendID" value=" *friend id* " type="hidden">

As you can see, this HTML code creates a basic form, which by itself would create a basic text box (exactly like the ones you use on this site to post replies and begin threads).

The Magical *Friend Id*

<input name="friendID" [b][u]value=" *friend id* "[/u][/b] type="hidden">

This section of code above is where the extremely important friend id number comes into play. Your friend id on myspace is a unique number which is specific to you and so when you want a comment to be delivered to you, entering the correct friend id is essential. Let's say your friend id was 123456, when this is the code you'll be using:

[Note: ensure you leave the input name="friendID" as it is!]

Entering a default message into the text area

If you test this code then you should get a fairly boring white and grey form which has the message Dear, in the main large box. This is the box in which anyone wishing to comment you will type their message. Just like this is the textbox i am typing into at the moment in order to post this thread.

Say, we wanted to change the default message from Dear, to Leave me a comment or whatever you like, then the code would look like this:

<textarea name="f_comments" class="COMMENT">Leave me a comment </textarea><br>

If you don't want a default message to appear then just leave it blank-

<textarea name="f_comments" class="COMMENT"></textarea>

And voila, there's your first basic comment box.
However, unfortunately at the moment it looks a bit bland and lacks colour and personality so next i will show you how to make it look attractive:

<style type="text/css">

input.SEND

textarea.COMMENT
</style>

As you can see this next part of coding changes the appearance of the text box and so we can now eliminate the drab greys and whites.

input.SEND and input.COMMENT

I have modified the send button and the text box so that they now have a black background and funky orange outlines. I have also changed the text font so that it's more attractive. You can use as much CSS or as little as you want to customise the textbox and the button, be as imaginative as possible.

Going the extra mile

In order to make you comment box that bit more personal you can give the text box and the button backgrounds instead of colouring them in, lets try this:

<style type="text/css">

input.SEND
background-image:url("coolbackground1.jpg");}

textarea.COMMENT
background-image:url("coolbackground2.jpg");}

</style>

Obviously, you can replace the "coolbackground.jpg" with the address of any image you want to be the background and there you have it!

Now, we have made your comment box look much more funky!
Go ahead and experiment to your heart's content with whatever look suits you profile page and be as imaginative as you want!

Look out for more myspace tutorials in the future!
nitro_goat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.