GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeloader Problems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/02/03 at 09:14
Regular
Those of you who are picking this up, be wary.

Borrowed from Edge Forums.

Ok I got my Freeloader today and am extremely disappointed that it doesn't work like Datel says it will. I bought 5 import games and they all have various issues with them. I'm using the official RGB Scart lead for the NGC, and my TV can display 60hz.

Firstly there are 3 fairly similiar boot methods to boot up the Freeloader.
The first method invloves a direct boot for the Freeloader from power on of the Gamecube, taking the disc out on prompt when it loads, and inserting the import game.

Second method involves inserting the Freeloader disc after you switch the GC on, waiting for it to read it, then going into the Gameplay option in the GC menu and switching discs from there.

Third method involves booting the Freeloader like normal, when it boots up, you press Z on the controller to select the region of the disc you want to play (you can select from three flags (USA, Japanese and Austrailia). This method seems to be the most successful for me. Depending on which one I chose, I had varying degrees of success. Here are my results.

Resident Evil Zero (USA) -
This game has the biggest problem making it impossible to play currently. It will only run using the third boot method. When this game boots up after using the Freeloader, it is extremely slow and choppy, sound is messed up making it totally unplayable.

Metroid Prime (USA)
This game has various issues but is now perfectly playable for me. If I boot this game using boot methods 1 or 2 it will run, but the titles screen is completely blank with just the text and a black background. If you continue and start the game, it will be very choppy when you move Samus around. The screen moves very jerkily. Even though its playable like this, its not really recommended. Its like its trying to play it in 50hz, when the game wasnt designed to,be played like this. hence the strange choppiness.
Now when I first used boot method 3 on it, the game would load up, even having the full titles screen, but there would be one BIG problem. The colours of the game would be messed up completely, i.e. yellow is blue etc. However, (and this has completely baffled me) when I run the game using method 3 now, it runs perfectly, at 60hz with the right colours. I dont know why its suddenly started working with method 3. This just makes things more confusing.

Skies of Arcadia Legends (USA)
Game runs fine using method 3. Have yet to try the other two methods.

Super Monkey Ball 2
Only runs using method 3. Will not load at all using the other two methods. Also game crashed once when I was playing it.

Animal Crossing
Again, only works using method 3.
So it seems there are lots of problems with this Freeloader. Other people might have different experiences with these same games, but I am disappointed by it as I spent approx £150 on the import games, and I can't even play one of them. The problems also seem to be rather random which makes things even worse. Didn't Datel even test this properly? It's not like the games I tried are obscure and hard to find.
Sun 16/02/03 at 13:43
Regular
Great isn't it :D resident evil zero works fine and thats all i care about :D
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
That should of course say if you still have v1.04 get rid of it now.

I got too excited.
Sun 16/02/03 at 11:12
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I got my v1.04 replacement a couple of days ago. I have to say to anyone that still has v1.06 GET RID OF IT NOW!!! V1.06b is so much more reliable. It even plays tony hawks 3, v1.04 couldnt even load the title screen.
Sat 15/02/03 at 18:58
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I went to Norwich and there was no sign of it.
Fri 14/02/03 at 23:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I thought it was today...
Fri 14/02/03 at 22:38
Regular
"hit the road jack"
When will action replay be in the shops? I know its quite soon.
Fri 14/02/03 at 19:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> One faulty card and suddenly every single card made is crap?
no, other peoples have gone wrong too. do you want a list or something.
and you'll never be as cool as me, dont worry.
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:01
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Oh, and it's not like you wouldn't be up-for importing anything,
> either, is it, WhiteStripes. :)

???
Fri 14/02/03 at 16:35
Regular
TÞhi wrote:

> sorry, to dissapoint you, but yes I do. JC who posts on here is a mate
> of mine and he had a 16MB memory card and it would almost always not
> be recognised by a game as to being in the memory card slot, or it the
> game wouldnt find any data saved on it.
>

One faulty card and suddenly every single card made is crap?

You mong.

> And again, I have to say that I didnt pay for my import cube. I have
> said this so many times, but you dont take any notice. My dad has
> forgotten about me using his credit card, so STFU and stop whining
> yourself and let this drop.

You're ripping you Dad off then?

I wish I was as cool as you.

Phhhhhhhhhft
Fri 14/02/03 at 16:05
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
preach it sister!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.