GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC14 - The Butterfly"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/07 at 05:01
Regular
Sometimes the slightest difference can change everything.

"I need you to tell me the truth. I want you to be completely honest. Do you love me?"

"Of course I do." She replied.

-------

Jim sat on the couch, drinking the whiskey. She loves him. She said so.

Why was it so hard to believe?

Maybe he can't let love in.. maybe he's just afraid of it. Maybe he just can't feel. Maybe everything was just too overwhelming for him.

He knocked back the rest of the drink and poured himself another.

People had told him they loved him before. Sure. It's all fine and dandy, they say they love him.. then they turn their back on him. They pretend they care, that they want him to be fine.. but all the time, demanding. He wasn't even sure if he knew what love was.

And sure, they'd have some fun together. They'd talk about sex and shopping and feel so damn connected. They'd go out together, put on their smiles, pretend nothing was wrong.

And God damnit something was wrong. Something doesn't work this way. He was sick and tired of women just needing to be loved, to be so demanding and take things away from him.

So sure.. she loved him now. What about the future? What about when she realises she was only lying to him, to spare him his feelings? What sort of relationship was that when you cared so little about someone, that you had so little respect for them, that you wouldn't tell the truth?

And wasn't that what every good relationship is based on, the truth?

He didn't want to spend his life doubting something. Not something as big as love. He didn't want to get dragged down into another damn relationship where you didn't talk about the problems. Where you weren't right to begin with because you didn't have respect.

When someone didn't have the respect to answer a question truthfully.

He knew the truth. She didn't love him. Why did she have to lie?

He was so sick of this.

He dialled up the number.

"Jim? It's late."

"I know.. look. I don't think it's going to work out between us."

"What? Why not?"

"Because you don't love me, and you lied to me. I'm not being taken for a ride again. Good night."

And Jim hung up.

------------

"I need you to tell me the truth. I want you to be completely honest. Do you love me?"

"Jim.." She replied. "I don't know."

------------

Jim sat on the couch, drinking the whiskey. She doesn't know.

How hard can it be? I mean.. he loved her, didn't he?

He's told her he loved her. How obvious does he have to make it? How many damn times does he have to say?

Yet still.. she doesn't know. What is she doing? Is she holding back? Is she hiding from her feelings? What if she just doesn't love him?

Jim knocked back the drink and poured himself another.

What if she never knew? What if she spent the rest of his life chasing this damn woman and she never loved him back?

How hard is it to love someone anyway.. you just.. feel something for them. You respect them. You care for them. How simple is that? Why the hell can't she work that out?

She could have at least lied and said she loved him.

But then..

No.. he asked her to tell the truth. And that's what she did. She told him how she felt. That she was unsure.

Maybe all you need in a relationship is the truth, and trust. And somehow, no matter what, you work through these things together. Maybe some people prefer it when you lie, when you pretend everything is fine when you're having problems. That's how some people deal, I guess.

He wasn't like that. He preferred the truth. He needed it.

Because if you respect someone.. if you truly respect someone, then maybe the truth isn't so hard to give. Maybe trust comes easy.

And that's more important. Because if you can respect someone to stand on their own two feet, and not be afraid to give them the bad news, then maybe that's more powerful than anything. To be honest with them.

Jim looked to his phone. He picked it up, and dialled the number.

"Jim? It's late."

"Listen.. I have something I need to tell you. It doesn't matter to me that you're not sure that you love me, because you want to know the truth? Sometimes I don't know either. I tell you I love you, and I mean that, but sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I don't know if I want to be with you. Hell, sometimes I can't feel at all. But I know in my heart that I feel for you. When I see your face, when I kiss you, it's all there. I just wanted to say.. that I respect you for telling me the truth. I wanted to thank you. Sometimes the thing you don't want to hear is the thing you really need to. Because people.. people don't just love each other constantly for the rest of their lives. But they stick together and.. they be with each other, even when they're not sure if they feel anything. Because you know what? It turns up. With the right person, it turns up. And maybe it'll go again. You just have to have the right person to stand by you. And maybe I'm a fool for wanting to stick with you, but I think I'm falling in love with you. Even if you don't love me back, I can't stop that. I care for you too much. I love you.. and sometimes it slips away, but it always comes back. And maybe all you really need to do, is find someone who's good for you, and stick with them. Love might come and go, but what's important is making a stand for that relationship. Fighting for it. Because whilst some people don't really work that well together, you could easily let slip of a great relationship simply because of something you could have worked out."

"Jim.. have you been drinking?"

"Just a little."

"Can we talk in the morning? I'm so tired."

"Alright love, sorry for calling you."

"It's fine.. good night!"

"Good night hun."

Jim put the phone down on the table.

Yeah, everything was going to be ok.
Wed 25/07/07 at 05:01
Regular

"Of course I do." She replied.

-------

Jim sat on the couch, drinking the whiskey. She loves him. She said so.

Why was it so hard to believe?

Maybe he can't let love in.. maybe he's just afraid of it. Maybe he just can't feel. Maybe everything was just too overwhelming for him.

He knocked back the rest of the drink and poured himself another.

People had told him they loved him before. Sure. It's all fine and dandy, they say they love him.. then they turn their back on him. They pretend they care, that they want him to be fine.. but all the time, demanding. He wasn't even sure if he knew what love was.

And sure, they'd have some fun together. They'd talk about sex and shopping and feel so damn connected. They'd go out together, put on their smiles, pretend nothing was wrong.

And God damnit something was wrong. Something doesn't work this way. He was sick and tired of women just needing to be loved, to be so demanding and take things away from him.

So sure.. she loved him now. What about the future? What about when she realises she was only lying to him, to spare him his feelings? What sort of relationship was that when you cared so little about someone, that you had so little respect for them, that you wouldn't tell the truth?

And wasn't that what every good relationship is based on, the truth?

He didn't want to spend his life doubting something. Not something as big as love. He didn't want to get dragged down into another damn relationship where you didn't talk about the problems. Where you weren't right to begin with because you didn't have respect.

When someone didn't have the respect to answer a question truthfully.

He knew the truth. She didn't love him. Why did she have to lie?

He was so sick of this.

He dialled up the number.

"Jim? It's late."

"I know.. look. I don't think it's going to work out between us."

"What? Why not?"

"Because you don't love me, and you lied to me. I'm not being taken for a ride again. Good night."

And Jim hung up.

------------

"Jim.." She replied. "I don't know."

------------

Jim sat on the couch, drinking the whiskey. She doesn't know.

How hard can it be? I mean.. he loved her, didn't he?

He's told her he loved her. How obvious does he have to make it? How many damn times does he have to say?

Yet still.. she doesn't know. What is she doing? Is she holding back? Is she hiding from her feelings? What if she just doesn't love him?

Jim knocked back the drink and poured himself another.

What if she never knew? What if she spent the rest of his life chasing this damn woman and she never loved him back?

How hard is it to love someone anyway.. you just.. feel something for them. You respect them. You care for them. How simple is that? Why the hell can't she work that out?

She could have at least lied and said she loved him.

But then..

No.. he asked her to tell the truth. And that's what she did. She told him how she felt. That she was unsure.

Maybe all you need in a relationship is the truth, and trust. And somehow, no matter what, you work through these things together. Maybe some people prefer it when you lie, when you pretend everything is fine when you're having problems. That's how some people deal, I guess.

He wasn't like that. He preferred the truth. He needed it.

Because if you respect someone.. if you truly respect someone, then maybe the truth isn't so hard to give. Maybe trust comes easy.

And that's more important. Because if you can respect someone to stand on their own two feet, and not be afraid to give them the bad news, then maybe that's more powerful than anything. To be honest with them.

Jim looked to his phone. He picked it up, and dialled the number.

"Jim? It's late."

"Listen.. I have something I need to tell you. It doesn't matter to me that you're not sure that you love me, because you want to know the truth? Sometimes I don't know either. I tell you I love you, and I mean that, but sometimes I get confused. Sometimes I don't know if I want to be with you. Hell, sometimes I can't feel at all. But I know in my heart that I feel for you. When I see your face, when I kiss you, it's all there. I just wanted to say.. that I respect you for telling me the truth. I wanted to thank you. Sometimes the thing you don't want to hear is the thing you really need to. Because people.. people don't just love each other constantly for the rest of their lives. But they stick together and.. they be with each other, even when they're not sure if they feel anything. Because you know what? It turns up. With the right person, it turns up. And maybe it'll go again. You just have to have the right person to stand by you. And maybe I'm a fool for wanting to stick with you, but I think I'm falling in love with you. Even if you don't love me back, I can't stop that. I care for you too much. I love you.. and sometimes it slips away, but it always comes back. And maybe all you really need to do, is find someone who's good for you, and stick with them. Love might come and go, but what's important is making a stand for that relationship. Fighting for it. Because whilst some people don't really work that well together, you could easily let slip of a great relationship simply because of something you could have worked out."

"Jim.. have you been drinking?"

"Just a little."

"Can we talk in the morning? I'm so tired."

"Alright love, sorry for calling you."

"It's fine.. good night!"

"Good night hun."

Jim put the phone down on the table.

Yeah, everything was going to be ok.
Tue 14/08/07 at 11:29
Regular
"not dead"
I thought it was effective. I liked it.
Sun 19/08/07 at 14:52
Regular
"Author of Pain"
An interesting statement on modern relationships. Expectations are high, and emotions are fragile. How many people tell their partner what they think they want to hear for an easy life, while all the while looking out the window watching the rain come down wondering if life shouldn't be better than it is?

We live in a world of square pegs and round holes, and when we find that the peg doesn't fit, we make the hole bigger. Because it's a solution, because it gets rid of the problem. Or does it? You're left with a broken hole and, somewhere, a lonely round peg with no hole of it's own.

Nice stuff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.