GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why don't YOU get an import Cube?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/02/03 at 13:58
Regular
With the issues that have now surfaced concerning the Freeloader, I was just wondering why all the Ninty fans out there don't get a USA Cube that has been modded to play both US and JAP games.

Yes I know Freeloader works on most games, but the big problems with Res Evil 0 and a number of issues surfacing with Metroid to name but one game and you've got to wonder about the viability of the product. And all this before Ninty start tinkering with the internals of the GC – I can’t imagine it would be hard for them to change a small line of bios code and scupper the Freeloader all together. But that is another topic I guess.

In all fairness, the loading problems do all seem to be based around the fact that you need to use the correct boot method (freeloader has 3) to get different games to work, but you would have to say that there is a fair chance that big future games (Zelda) may not work.

So the other option? As I said at the start of this post, why not sell the UK cube and get a USA modded machine? The machine costs the same as a UK CG and to get US/JAP import games is pretty much the same price as the UK releases anyway. In some cases it's cheaper - Metroid Prime for £29.99 delivered anyone?

Just wondered what you own thoughts on this subject are. No flaming please, just interested to hear why (if indeed this is the case) you don't think the import road is for you.

For the record I have a UK Cube and was hoping freeloader would be the answer to my import blues. Waiting another 2 months of M Prime, Res Evil 0 and even longer for Zelda is depressing really. But with the problems, I’m not sure about freeloader anymore. Kinda’ half thinking about going for a modded cube, dunno.

Metroid Prime (US) + Res Evil 0 (US) + Zelda (US)(pre order) = £90 sounds sweet to me!

Thoughts and comments anyone!?
Thu 06/02/03 at 13:58
"You love us!"
With the issues that have now surfaced concerning the Freeloader, I was just wondering why all the Ninty fans out there don't get a USA Cube that has been modded to play both US and JAP games.

Yes I know Freeloader works on most games, but the big problems with Res Evil 0 and a number of issues surfacing with Metroid to name but one game and you've got to wonder about the viability of the product. And all this before Ninty start tinkering with the internals of the GC – I can’t imagine it would be hard for them to change a small line of bios code and scupper the Freeloader all together. But that is another topic I guess.

In all fairness, the loading problems do all seem to be based around the fact that you need to use the correct boot method (freeloader has 3) to get different games to work, but you would have to say that there is a fair chance that big future games (Zelda) may not work.

So the other option? As I said at the start of this post, why not sell the UK cube and get a USA modded machine? The machine costs the same as a UK CG and to get US/JAP import games is pretty much the same price as the UK releases anyway. In some cases it's cheaper - Metroid Prime for £29.99 delivered anyone?

Just wondered what you own thoughts on this subject are. No flaming please, just interested to hear why (if indeed this is the case) you don't think the import road is for you.

For the record I have a UK Cube and was hoping freeloader would be the answer to my import blues. Waiting another 2 months of M Prime, Res Evil 0 and even longer for Zelda is depressing really. But with the problems, I’m not sure about freeloader anymore. Kinda’ half thinking about going for a modded cube, dunno.

Metroid Prime (US) + Res Evil 0 (US) + Zelda (US)(pre order) = £90 sounds sweet to me!

Thoughts and comments anyone!?
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:14
"Darkness, always"
While I do love my GameCube, I'm still primarilly a PC gamer. I'd rather spend my money making sure I'm prepared for the next generation of PC games than wistfully dabble in the imported console games market.

PC > *
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:15
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
a) My TV isn't NTSC compatible.

b) I already have a bunch of PAL games (and game saves) that I don't want to get rid of.

c) I can't get NTSC games as GADs.

There we go.
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:22
"You love us!"
Hmm, well not really the kind of answer I was looking for to be honest. You reply is hardly going to stimulate a raging debate, but as ever, a well worded and concise post IB.

If I may go of topic for a moment, 1 1/2 years ago I was a hardcore PC gamer, but getting a PS2 a year or so ago has made me change my allegiance somewhat. Although of late the spate of rather attractive titles, Unreal 2, UT2002, Sim City 4, have made me think about getting back into the PC scene. The only problem is I doubt my P3 800/GeForce 3 combo would cut the mustard now. Or at least it wouldn't as the visual level I would wan to play these new games at. When I get the cash together, I may head back to the PC. They say a change is as good as a rest!
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:31
Regular
"Booze monkeys!"
freeloader costs like 17 quid while a US modded cube would set you back a couple 'o' hundred.
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:35
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I've been an avid importer for the past few years now and have never looked back. Yeah, there's more at risk with importing, but the benefits are far greater IMO.
Thu 06/02/03 at 14:35
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
plasticcoated wrote:
> freeloader costs like 17 quid while a US modded cube would set you
> back a couple 'o' hundred.

No it wouldn't. You can pick up a Platinum edition GC for about £150 or a standard one for around £100 if you look hard enough.
Thu 06/02/03 at 15:38
Regular
"Booze monkeys!"
Its still cheaper to get a freeloader however i would prefer to by a import cube but cant for financial reasons and that my family think i was stupid to by a cube at launch coz they think its a kiddy console (dont get me started...) so what would they say if i was to buy a 2nd cube that is more expensive than the 1st?
Thu 06/02/03 at 16:04
Regular
I'm getting a freeloader to play Animal Crossing mainly, only other games that i'll get are games that aren't released in the UK, Pro Evo being one of them.

I have the will power to wait for the other games so I see no point buying an import console to play 3 or 4 games.
Thu 06/02/03 at 16:07
"You love us!"
but why do you need will power. You could have Metroid Prime delivered to your door for this weekend (maybe monday) for like £29.99? Can you buy the UK verison for that cheap, when it eventually comes out?

Why wait when you can get the games earlier, and more often than not save a little cash. i don't get it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.