GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games with human characters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 10:17
Regular
So long have I been playing Nintendo games, that realistic looking people in games now look stupid.

Honestly, when I look at screens to PS2 and Xbox games I've always felt that they didn't look right, and it's because they look like real people, and I'm just not used to that!

The only realistic peopel I like to see in games, as a rule, are sports people, in football games and the like. I seem to have a problem with human looking lead characters!

It was okay before this generation of consoles, because even if they tried their hardest, they didn't look too real (though I found Flashback on the Megadrive too close for comfort!)

I guess it's because I've played the likes of Mario and Sonic all my life that I can't get used to this. It seems to me to be more natural to take control of a talking squirrel, or a bear with a bird companion.

I've been thinking about this, as it doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense, then the reason why struck me. I'm not a squirrel. I don't know what it's like to be a man-sized squirrel. Therefore I can accept his skills and limitations as what a mansized squirrel should be able to do.

But when I play as a human, I get kind of frustrated that he can't even do some ofthe things I am capable of.

So not only does the human character not look right on the television screen, they don'tplay right either!

Obviously as we move on things are getting better. Our characters are capable of so much more, and their movements now do actually look human. As such I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with them.

Still, give me a character shaped like Mario that can do inhuman jumps any day. It's what I know. It's what I'm comfortable with.
Mon 14/01/02 at 10:17
Regular
"not dead"
So long have I been playing Nintendo games, that realistic looking people in games now look stupid.

Honestly, when I look at screens to PS2 and Xbox games I've always felt that they didn't look right, and it's because they look like real people, and I'm just not used to that!

The only realistic peopel I like to see in games, as a rule, are sports people, in football games and the like. I seem to have a problem with human looking lead characters!

It was okay before this generation of consoles, because even if they tried their hardest, they didn't look too real (though I found Flashback on the Megadrive too close for comfort!)

I guess it's because I've played the likes of Mario and Sonic all my life that I can't get used to this. It seems to me to be more natural to take control of a talking squirrel, or a bear with a bird companion.

I've been thinking about this, as it doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense, then the reason why struck me. I'm not a squirrel. I don't know what it's like to be a man-sized squirrel. Therefore I can accept his skills and limitations as what a mansized squirrel should be able to do.

But when I play as a human, I get kind of frustrated that he can't even do some ofthe things I am capable of.

So not only does the human character not look right on the television screen, they don'tplay right either!

Obviously as we move on things are getting better. Our characters are capable of so much more, and their movements now do actually look human. As such I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with them.

Still, give me a character shaped like Mario that can do inhuman jumps any day. It's what I know. It's what I'm comfortable with.
Mon 14/01/02 at 10:44
Regular
"..."
Now Meka...it might well be confusing now, but just think in a couple of years time when the graphical capabilites become even higher? Ok that was confusing, so I will explain myself...
At the current rate of graphical improvement, we will in a few years have a character that not only looks 'ad good' as real, it will actually look 'real'. But then the confusion gets even greater, because the people who make computers won't stop there...
so a few years further down the line we will in fact have characters who look more real that the actual real thing. This is where the confusion will really start. Because, after a long session on your new console you would walk down to the shops to get your essential supplies and ypou would foind yourself looking at the people oin the street and thinking 'Hah, these people are not real!". This is where the problems would become even greater because you may find yourself acting in real life in the same way you would in a computer game...ie running up to somebody and starting a punch-up with them. There you go, point proven (in true daily press style) that video games do indeed encourage violence.

Nurse...my tablets please!!!
Sun 01/01/12 at 17:45
Evenin......

Well, here it is, the first ride of 2012!
Gisburn Trail Centre - the Adrenaline Gateway :)

Meet at the usual car park at 9am

PK

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.