GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New OPS2 magazine"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
Have you got the official playstation 2 magazine? If you have say what you think of it and what you think of the playable demos. If you havent got it yet then you are missing out as there are 10 playable demos including Primal, NBA live 2003, Crashed, ATV 2, Sly Raccoon, Ghost Recon and many others! It tells you a bit more about ps2 online and reviews the sims and primal plus many others. It also says about rockstar thinking about GTA online and definitely Midnight Club 2 online. You can vote for the face of ps2 and there is a compitition to win either Auto Modellista or Marvel vs Capcom on ps2.

It is well worth £5.49 considering what you get for your money! What do you think of it?
Tue 11/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
That's it I have officially switched from a OPS2 magazine reader to a PSM2 reader instead! For ever!! (well until there is a very decent playable demo on OPS2 mag)
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:23
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> It will be very interesting, however, to see how they score Suikoden 3
> if it ever gets a European release. (If you missed the news, first of
> all Konami decided a PAL conversion would be too costly, latest news
> is that Infogrames, who have released Konami games in PAL territories
> before now, are currently assessing the game's prospects in Europe).
>
> Could it possibly get a 10/10 rating?

Well on GameFAQs the people there are calling it THE RPG of 2002 so it should get a very high rating as long as the person who reviews it isn't a *the only genres in computer games are driving games and fighting games* sort of person. Some people there are even saying it beats FFX hands down so hopefully we'll be able to see if that is true or not some time this year
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
PSM2 magazine vindicated Wild Arms 3 a little bit by giving it 71% instead of OPSM2's 5/10, and by not dissing turn based combat during their review. They still managaed to mention Final Fantasy X though. To me this is a little like comparing a game like Shox to Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec.

What reviewers are starting to realise, hopefully, is that just because a game has the label of RPG doesn't mean that it automatically has to compare to Final Fantasy X. In the same way that there are a multitude of driving genres now, the same goes for RPGs.

It will be very interesting, however, to see how they score Suikoden 3 if it ever gets a European release. (If you missed the news, first of all Konami decided a PAL conversion would be too costly, latest news is that Infogrames, who have released Konami games in PAL territories before now, are currently assessing the game's prospects in Europe).

Could it possibly get a 10/10 rating?
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Kastro wrote:
> I was quite annoyed when i read the Wild Arms 3 review in OPS2
> because
>
> 1) It dissed Turn based combat calling it boring when i think it is so
> much better than real time because it requires more intelligence and
> encourages strategic thinking.

Totally agree but most reviewers these days just want mindless hacking and slashing all through the game which doesn't actually require any skill at all apart from a very fast finger on the X or whatever button the command action is.
I get bored of that system very, very quickly and it was because of this i didn't find Kingdom Hearts as good as i would have done if the fights were turn based. Personally if it ain't broke don't fix it and i hope Square and all the other companies stick with turn based battles or the battle system from Vandal Hearts or Final Fantasy Tactics instead of going with this live action system when making RPG's
Sat 08/02/03 at 09:41
Regular
"  "
FantasyMeister wrote:
>I managed to stab Scorpion in both knees with a
> pair of daggers, that convinced me to buy the game when it comes
> out).

In the proper game you can stick anyones weapon into someone else. So Scorpions large sword can go straight through someone. :P
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:10
I have been a regular reader of OPSM2 for over a year now, and i am sick of their letters section being full up of people complaining about just about everything. I have come up with a solution for some of their problems:

1. This magazine is poor/too expensive - Don't buy it. If you believe this then you are better off without it.

2. This game is poor - Same as above. If you're going to spent £40 on a game, you should play it, not moan about it.

3. This game has bad graphics - Buy a linux kit and see if you can do better, and to be honest you can't!

4. I think Gamecube/Xbox is so much better - Then what are you doing reading a PS2 magazine?

Leave the letter section to something remotely more useful than moaning!
Fri 07/02/03 at 19:53
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
I used to buy only PSM2 and I tyhink it is great but then my mate said about OPS2 magazine and the demos so i bought it and thought it was fantastic but now it has changed i only seem to read it once and then throw it straight in the draw whereas i used to spend ages reading the reviews and comments as they were more interesting and fun to read!

I still get PSM2 every month and only buy OPS2 mag when there is a playable demo on it that appeals to me!

The new PSM2 is great!- Driver 3 looks brilliant- can't wait for it to come out! How about you?
Fri 07/02/03 at 19:37
Regular
Kastro wrote:
>Also am i
> the only one who preferred the old look of OPS2 before they chaged it
> a few months ago?

I noticed that too. It's as if it was the Sunday Times and turned into The Sun. Everything is simply laid out and it seems to take me a lot less ti e to read it. I know that sometimes 'simpler is better' but on this occasion I think we can call an exception.
Fri 07/02/03 at 19:30
Regular
"I dont like tagline"
I was quite annoyed when i read the Wild Arms 3 review in OPS2 because

1) It dissed Turn based combat calling it boring when i think it is so much better than real time because it requires more intelligence and encourages stradgegic (i know i have spelt it wrong please correct me) thinking.

2)In the first paragraph it says something along the lines of another Final Fantasy wannabe trying to do the same as FFX only better or something like that which really annoys me because i dont think this is fair on the develepors of Wild Arms 3. I dont think many people would expect WA3 to be better than FFX and i dont blame them for trying to copy FFXs style after all its the best RPG on PS2.

Other than the cell- shaded graphics i dont think this game looks that bad i might get it in a few months when its most likely to be in a bargain bin somewhere. Anyway recently i have been put off from OPS2 but alas i am stuck with a subscribtion for the next few months.
So OPS2 have about 4 or 5 months to get their act together or im going to start reading PSM2 (which looks like a good mag). Also am i the only one who preferred the old look of OPS2 before they chaged it a few months ago?
Fri 07/02/03 at 11:12
Regular
Same here, I much prefer the PSM2 reviews. I think they share a similar opinion to me, and often give games very similar review scores (with the exception of Star Wars games where I am still unable to overcome my massive bias towards anything Star Wars).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.