GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Imagine banned!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/07/06 at 08:54
"possibly impossible"
So a C of E school prevents the children from singing Imagine by John lennon during a school performance because it has lyrics about imagining there's no religion or heaven.

Right or wrong?

Personally, I guess it's a bit overdramatic, but if they're a christian based school then they have the right to decide this as long as it doesn't lead to banning the song completely (such as banning children from singing it at all), however, it's probably raised the awareness of the song itself to the kids who didn't know it before anyway, so they can't win!
Thu 20/07/06 at 09:37
Regular
I am Christian, and I don't think they should be banned from singing the song during a school performance. For one thing they should be encouraged to think about issues like this, not banned from them, and as pb says, it's a stupid thing for them to do because it will only make more of the children aware of it.

Being a faith-based school should never mean children are only allowed to think about things from their own faith's point of view. They should be encouraged to think about their faith, and others'.

My way forward with this would have been to get the children to think about what the lyrics actually mean, and to discuss them. Then if the children decide the song isn't appropriate they can change it.

A simple ban smacks of a knee-jerk reaction by a teacher with no faith in the children, or in the strength of their faith to stand up to questioning.
Thu 20/07/06 at 08:54
"possibly impossible"
So a C of E school prevents the children from singing Imagine by John lennon during a school performance because it has lyrics about imagining there's no religion or heaven.

Right or wrong?

Personally, I guess it's a bit overdramatic, but if they're a christian based school then they have the right to decide this as long as it doesn't lead to banning the song completely (such as banning children from singing it at all), however, it's probably raised the awareness of the song itself to the kids who didn't know it before anyway, so they can't win!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.