GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You will become the death of me...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/02/03 at 20:48
Regular
Right, I'm going to ask you to do something... walk into any videogames shop, close your eyes and reach out in front of you. Once the fat biker has smacked you round the face for touching his bum, look at what games are available. You will see annual sports games, you've got your movie rip offs - which are usually mediocre or worse than that, you will see rushed multi format gaming monstrosities and a minority of the games you will see are, good.
I think the videogaming industry has slowly been decreasing in standards because a majority of developers find it approprite to release sub standard titles and ideas that have been 'milked' to death. As early as I can remember (well the first console I owned) I can still recall videogame counterparts of movies. I remember Aliens (this isn't a weird probing that took place last night) and even the simpsons videogames. The only thing that was different back then was the Simpsons games were slightly original, and were'nt essentially a spoof of other games (crazy tax or tony hawks, to name a few). Well, my point is this. While it may not be easy to see that these games are killing the gaming industry, as the gaming buisiness is claimed to be at an all time high, in this day and age. But unoriginal, undeserving developers are getting money for games simply because the casual gamer will instantly reckognise a bruce lee license and is made to believe that the because bruce is such a great guy, the game will inevitably be a brucey bonus. Thus, leaving unappreciated games like Jet Set Radio, to sit, and rot away at segas expence. If these games continue to dominate, then developers that create quality, top class games will be extinct, simply because they haven't managed to gather hype, or havent got a license on the game.
I'm not saying all the movie tie in games and annual sports games should be branded as evil, or unworthy of a purchase. As, on the occasional off chance these games can be compelling and worthy, like Buffy or FIFA 2003. But, i think games should become strictly moderated, by the guys in charge - whoever they may be. But if all games had a rating on the case, set by an average created by viewing a few reviews from websites or magazines, this could help stop developers becoming lazy and ultimately destroying the gaming industry, just like characters like callum chapman and topscore are becoming the death of these forums..
So I leave yo here, to consider my expressed points. Think about Jet Set Radio, think about the children, and think about the future of the gamings industry....
Together we can help overcome the problem (all I ask is a daily donation of £67.83) and the future is safe, from the lazy criminals eating away at the industry.
Thanks for reading
Sfone
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:48
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Right, I'm going to ask you to do something... walk into any videogames shop, close your eyes and reach out in front of you. Once the fat biker has smacked you round the face for touching his bum, look at what games are available. You will see annual sports games, you've got your movie rip offs - which are usually mediocre or worse than that, you will see rushed multi format gaming monstrosities and a minority of the games you will see are, good.
I think the videogaming industry has slowly been decreasing in standards because a majority of developers find it approprite to release sub standard titles and ideas that have been 'milked' to death. As early as I can remember (well the first console I owned) I can still recall videogame counterparts of movies. I remember Aliens (this isn't a weird probing that took place last night) and even the simpsons videogames. The only thing that was different back then was the Simpsons games were slightly original, and were'nt essentially a spoof of other games (crazy tax or tony hawks, to name a few). Well, my point is this. While it may not be easy to see that these games are killing the gaming industry, as the gaming buisiness is claimed to be at an all time high, in this day and age. But unoriginal, undeserving developers are getting money for games simply because the casual gamer will instantly reckognise a bruce lee license and is made to believe that the because bruce is such a great guy, the game will inevitably be a brucey bonus. Thus, leaving unappreciated games like Jet Set Radio, to sit, and rot away at segas expence. If these games continue to dominate, then developers that create quality, top class games will be extinct, simply because they haven't managed to gather hype, or havent got a license on the game.
I'm not saying all the movie tie in games and annual sports games should be branded as evil, or unworthy of a purchase. As, on the occasional off chance these games can be compelling and worthy, like Buffy or FIFA 2003. But, i think games should become strictly moderated, by the guys in charge - whoever they may be. But if all games had a rating on the case, set by an average created by viewing a few reviews from websites or magazines, this could help stop developers becoming lazy and ultimately destroying the gaming industry, just like characters like callum chapman and topscore are becoming the death of these forums..
So I leave yo here, to consider my expressed points. Think about Jet Set Radio, think about the children, and think about the future of the gamings industry....
Together we can help overcome the problem (all I ask is a daily donation of £67.83) and the future is safe, from the lazy criminals eating away at the industry.
Thanks for reading
Sfone
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:07
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hehe... Finally, someone argueing like they should! Jet Set Radio truly DOES deserve any attention it gets, as do games like Dynasty Warriors 3 and Morrowind. Ah, some things are just never appreciated. Like my writing *cough*Snuggly*cough*. J/k, I'm actually pretty bad and there are many others better than me. Ah well, I need to egt back to completing JSR with Jet Ratings...
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Jet Set Radio for Xbox isn't original.
It's an almost carbon copy of the Dreancast original.
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:14
Regular
"QPR 1974"
gerrid wrote:
> Jet Set Radio for Xbox isn't original.
> It's an almost carbon copy of the Dreancast original.

A didnt mention which version i was talking about, but the Jest Set Radio series are a lot more original than the likes of ty the tasmanian tiger, or whateever :-)
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I know.
But game shops don't have the original JSR in them anymore.
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:21
Regular
"QPR 1974"
gerrid wrote:
> I know.
> But game shops don't have the original JSR in them anymore.

You win this round, but I'll be back..... with a fork... run piggy, run
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:32
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
What's Jet Set like?
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Fiddly.
Not the greatest game ever, but worth playing.
Fri 07/02/03 at 21:42
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Right, what kinda game is it?, i've heard of it and all that, but know one explained to me what was like.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.