GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FORUM RULES - All members read"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/02/03 at 20:58
Regular
Since the rules on the forum main page are obscure, hidden away at the bottem, I took the liberty to post something here for the newbies. I feel that they must be read and fully understood before anyone should post on the site, and when this is the case the place will be much better. Staff, if you feel anything I've written is wrong, or unfair, feel free to delete this. However, I feel that certain things need to be said, so that new users understand the way things work.

1) Don't Copy Stuff.

The GAD rules state this clearly - if you copy stuff that isn't your own work, in order to win Gameaday, then you're likely to be banned. If you're posting information, or quotes from things like reviews, please state your source, and if possible post a link. There's nothing like viewing things first hand...

2) Don't swear.

Swearing is offensive, pointless and only serves to show a person's limited intellect. If you feel strongly against something, think about what you're going to say before spurting a string of characterised obscenities. It will most likely get you banned, or serve to make other users hold you in contempt. Intellectual debate is the things wanted, not potty mouthed imbeciles.

3) No X vs. Y

Please. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and they're a valued part of the forum. However, if you start a topic explaining in one sentence why GTA3 is better than every other game, that too is pointless. Fair enough, a paragraph detailing the merits of one game over another is acceptable, but if you can't back up your statement with reasoning it would be best left out. Intellectual debate, not one word spamming.

4) Spelling and Grammar please!

I agree that there are many people out there who are yet to reach maturity, and that they aren't the most apt spellers. However, most users of this forum like it when they can read somebody's post. After you've written anything, please just briefly check it for spelling errors, punctuation and grammar. It makes it easier on everybody else's eyes, it really does.

5) Think about what you're saying.

After you've written something, ask yourself - is it appropriate? If it offends somebody, is absolutely pointless or makes no sense, then you should re-think it. One post ten lines long is much more valued than ten posts one line long. We don't want racism here. Intellectual, people!

6) No spam!

Gameaday is not random. It is chosen by staff members of Special Reserve, who choose only the best post, review and cheat content every day. If you are trying to win Gameaday, you should put thought and effort into what you post. One word answers only aggravate regulars, and posts which contain very little content are pointless. Only start a topic if it's relevant, and if you have something of substance to say. If you want to review a game, or post cheats, there is a place for it. Don't come asking for cheats and guides, since they can easily be found somewhere on SR. www.ukcheats.com and www.ukwalkthroughs.com will contain what you want, and failing that www.gamefaqs.com . You all should know this.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is to compose yourself. Just because it's on the internet and your identity is relatively concealed, it doesn't mean you can do things you wouldn't do in real life. Don't think that because you've never met somebody before gives you the right to abuse them. Think about it - don't say something to somebody if it would offend you were they to say it. We're all civilised people, and deserve respect.

The overriding feeling I get on these forums is that there's a lack of discipline. I could go into great lengths complaining that the world is the way it is today because of a lack of discipline, and in my eyes this is true. If everybody takes heed of these rules, then it will be a much better place.

I will keep popping this topic, because I feel it should remain near the top of the list for everybody to see. If staff members agree this should stay, they could make it sticky at the top of the list. If they think I'm just an arrogant old fool, delete it.
Mon 10/02/03 at 17:23
It's a little patronising, don't you think?
Newbies aren't a species of retarded chimps that need to be told what to do, they just need some examples to look for such as some of the notables written peices. I personally think you 1/2 pint need to not worry about newbies and stop pretending you're the $hit on the site. Now don't even bother telling me you're far superior than me because everyone knows you are the best of the best, right.....
Mon 10/02/03 at 17:11
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
½pint wrote:
> Pop, for all you innocent noobs

Didn't you make a big post about 'games suck forum sucks I leave now'?
Mon 10/02/03 at 17:09
Regular
"EXCUSE ME"
Memorandum wrote:
> Azul²°°³ wrote:
> Yeah, it needs to be done sooner or later.
>
> Sad news for you then, eh Memo?
>
> And what is that supposed to mean???

Perhaps he means that Memorandumb person who already got banned, meaning that he wouldn't be able to come back as a different name like Memorandyum.
Sun 09/02/03 at 21:30
Regular
"¬_¬"
Pop, for all you innocent noobs
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:10
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Are you saying I constantly spam or what????

I haven't done anything worthy of being banned for (obviously not if I am still here)
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Whitestripes wrote:
> No
>
> Because then SS get off their backside and introduce a proper banning
> system, to block your PC so you can't resign up.
>
> They get banned, they're gone, unless they want to change ISP
> everytime.

Yea, but remember Gasmask? He was banned for making a joke. There was a mix up an SR thought he was being serious and he got banned.

But he was able to sign up again, and eventually got his old account back.

Maybe there could be a kind of like 'strike' system, you get 3 warnings from SR by e-mail, and if you dont take heed, then yes, you should be banned permenantly.

Just a thought.
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
*In very monotonous voice*

Hmmm - I - Wonder.....
Sun 09/02/03 at 11:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
> Azul²°°³ wrote:
> Yeah, it needs to be done sooner or later.
>
> Sad news for you then, eh Memo?

Please give me an answer Azul......What are you trying to say here???
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:49
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
cookie monster wrote:
> Whitestripes wrote:
> No
>
> Because then SS get off their backside and introduce a proper
> banning
> system, to block your PC so you can't resign up.
>
> They get banned, they're gone, unless they want to change ISP
> everytime.
>
> How do you propose banning someones computer?

Well I'm not sure quite how it is done, but certain sites have it so that when you are banned if you try to log on or sign up again it makes your browser crash, www.isketch.net is a kind of guessing game, similar to classic TV program "Win, lose or draw" and it utilises such a system. Now, how would I know that, eh??

:D
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:47
"period drama"
Sylphetic wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> 7) Read FFF's topics.
> For gawd's sake, they don't happen very often, but a little
> encouragement wouldn't go amiss.
>
> Hey... I'm in the process of reading your latest story. Do you know
> how hard it is? Anyway, surely you're all being a teeny weeny bit
> harsh on newbies, after all, surely you like some of them? Ok, one of
> them.

Oh.
Cheers.

(Hurry up : ))

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.