GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"what's all this?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/02/03 at 00:17
Regular
Taken from Xboxrules.com

"Microsoft chairman Bill Gates recently sat down with National French newspaper Les Echoes to discuss a variety of topics including the Xbox. To begin, Gates was asked about the disappointing performance of the console in the Japanese market. Putting things in perspective, Gates said, "Being a new player in this business, we're satisfied with the number two position behind Sony and ahead of Nintendo is the global console market. We think that's particularly significant because software developers have historically only supported the top two platforms. With the launch of Xbox Live, our console provides opportunities that Sony can't match right out of the box."

Continuing, Gates shed some light on the future, "The next-generation Xbox will feature digital media capabilities such as video and photo editing in addition to games. It will also allow for Internet capabilities without the need for direct connections through Wi-Fi. As for the Japanese market, we knew it was going to be difficult, and we will continue to invest in the Xbox there."

Chairman Gates was also asked about rumors suggesting Microsoft plans to purchase Vivendi Universal's videogame division. In denial, Gates said, "As far as I know there are currently no negotiations in progress. If there were serious discussions regarding a buyout, I'd definitely know about it."

Whats all this WI FI mumbo jumbo? Internet too? Video and photo editing?

What's next? Xbox printers and scanners with windows XboxP.

At this rate I think it's going to be alot harder to tell somone straight that Xbox isn't a PC.

To me, i'm slightly concerned. More games please, not video editing.
Sun 09/02/03 at 00:17
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Taken from Xboxrules.com

"Microsoft chairman Bill Gates recently sat down with National French newspaper Les Echoes to discuss a variety of topics including the Xbox. To begin, Gates was asked about the disappointing performance of the console in the Japanese market. Putting things in perspective, Gates said, "Being a new player in this business, we're satisfied with the number two position behind Sony and ahead of Nintendo is the global console market. We think that's particularly significant because software developers have historically only supported the top two platforms. With the launch of Xbox Live, our console provides opportunities that Sony can't match right out of the box."

Continuing, Gates shed some light on the future, "The next-generation Xbox will feature digital media capabilities such as video and photo editing in addition to games. It will also allow for Internet capabilities without the need for direct connections through Wi-Fi. As for the Japanese market, we knew it was going to be difficult, and we will continue to invest in the Xbox there."

Chairman Gates was also asked about rumors suggesting Microsoft plans to purchase Vivendi Universal's videogame division. In denial, Gates said, "As far as I know there are currently no negotiations in progress. If there were serious discussions regarding a buyout, I'd definitely know about it."

Whats all this WI FI mumbo jumbo? Internet too? Video and photo editing?

What's next? Xbox printers and scanners with windows XboxP.

At this rate I think it's going to be alot harder to tell somone straight that Xbox isn't a PC.

To me, i'm slightly concerned. More games please, not video editing.
Sun 09/02/03 at 00:23
Regular
It's when you hear that Train Simulators coming out that you get worried.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be going this way, me thinks someone needs to remind them that they're actually making a games console.
Sun 09/02/03 at 00:30
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
For those oof us with imposible parents with no interest with anything technological(including broadband) were does that leave the rest of us?
Sun 09/02/03 at 00:40
Regular
You'll just have to get a Gamecube or whatever the new Nintendo console's called :D
Sun 09/02/03 at 10:29
Regular
I was reading an article in XBM yesterday and it stated that the Xbox out sold the GameCube world wide over the Christmas period?! A 3rd party developer then went onto discuss how the Xbox "simply has no competition in terms of the number of quality games" (don't agree with that). He said that there is no way the Xbox will out sell the PS2 but the competition will really start to hot up in 2005. He said that the Xbox is more of a "test run" and it has been used to gain an audience in time for the Xbox 2. He also believed that the Xbox 2 and PS3 will be launched in a matter of "days" between each other. Later on in the article they asked a Microsoft spokes person about future buy outs and in particular Sega and Capcom! The spokes man said they won't comment on the matter at this time but 2003 will be the year for Microsoft and the Xbox and many companies will be targetted for possible buy outs! "Anyone who already owns one console and wants to buy a second can't refuse an Xbox because it is simply better than anything else", those were the final words from the mouth of the Microsoft spokes person and it looks like Handbags at ten paces again ;)

Xbox 2 looks VERY strong indeed. Mantis I wouldn't worry too much about
The article made for interesting reading and the future of the Xbox and the tools I have read a few articles on the Xbox 2 and yes there will be extras but the first priority will be games which will compete with the PS3 and gain that illusive number 1 spot from the word go. From the article I depicted that Microsoft are going to use 2003 to buy companies in time for the Xbox 2. I think it was Cyclone or Maverick who sais that in a few years time Microsoft will have the number one spot because of the buying power Bill Gates has?! At this moment in time I have a feeling that this will be the case, I just hope that Nintendo keep going!

p.s I rented Mario Sunshine yesterday and the game is brilliant! Exactly how I hoped it would be and so far I can't get enough of Delfino Island :)
Sun 09/02/03 at 12:36
Regular
"Unretired"
Even if you do compare an Xbox to a normal PC - Its cheaper than any other PC of the same Specs.
Sun 09/02/03 at 14:37
Regular
Pish. Ahead of Nintendo? Wake up, Bill.
Sun 09/02/03 at 17:17
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm wondering if this video stuff/photo stuff for X-Box 2 will be an extension of communication between players.
Afteral, X-Box Live is a huge part of the X-Box console and Microsoft are putting a lot of emphasis on people being able to communicate with things like the head set.

Maybe this video stuff is a way of also allowing players to see eachother in some way or another ? I've seen a couple of games in arcades where you get your pic taken and then when you're playing, you can see the other players pics above their car, mech, etc and they can see you.
So I'm wondering if Microsoft are looking into this area to expand the communication between online players.

And Mav - whats Bill gotta wake up to ? By the looks of it, X-Box sold more units than GC over the Christmas period. Of course GC has a big hold over the X-Box in Japan, but thats just one country. Sales in Australia seriously favoured the X-Box over the GC with apparently something like 5,846 GC's sold compared to 45,939 X-Box consoles.
Sun 09/02/03 at 17:26
"Lemon eyewash"
Savatt78 wrote:

> And Mav - whats Bill gotta wake up to ? By the looks of it, X-Box
> sold more units than GC over the Christmas period. Of course GC has a
> big hold over the X-Box in Japan, but thats just one country. Sales
> in Australia seriously favoured the X-Box over the GC with apparently
> something like 5,846 GC's sold compared to 45,939 X-Box consoles.

careful Sav you'll make him cry.

what makes me laugh is that so many ninties come in here hating the x box? idiots
Sun 09/02/03 at 18:32
Regular
What makes me laugh is every moronic, ill informed comment that comes out of your mouth, and how it was fueled and developed by your pathetic intelliect, whilst 90% of your working brain power is taken up by having to constantly remind your body to perform such vital functions as breathing, and pumping blood.

I pity you.

And yes, of course Microsoft will hold the number one spot eventually, as they will with everything. It isn't hard to see that far into the future Microsoft will be the company that does everything, just like you see in games and films. Money can, and will, rule everything.

And Maverick, well done on another pathetic attempt at making some sort of comment on the situaiton, Nintendo cannot hope to compete, the chances of Nintendo ever beating Microsoft in any form of electronic race is one thousand times less likely than Savatt's infantile cousin growing up, obtaining some form of working brain, making an intelligent comment and not acting like a cockface; all at the same time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.