GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Feel free to blow that bloke's head off, but include swearing and it's banned!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/02/03 at 08:00
Regular
About a year ago i tried to get my head around something very bizarre, and i'm surprised nobody has picked up on this yet.

Why do people seem more shocked about the odd swear word in a game than the fact that you can mince, mangle, dagger, dice, stab and slice people up into disgusting pools of blood? I mean, surely the fact that people are getting killed is more shocking than a few naughty words?

People will then say (In silly, Granny voice), "But it's only virtual people being killed, but the swearing is atually said by somebody, and this could be what is reflecting in todays children".

I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous arguments i've ever heard in my entire life. So lets just say that kids do mimic the actions seen in games, that means that they should be running round with shotguns killing eachother! But, are they? No.

The argument that really puts a lid on it is that these games are for adults! They are 18's and therefore should not be played by anyone under 18. Argument over.

So what do you lot think? Do you think adults and moany old grannies have a point? Or should they be concentrating on something more important?
Mon 10/02/03 at 08:00
Regular
"Party Hard"
About a year ago i tried to get my head around something very bizarre, and i'm surprised nobody has picked up on this yet.

Why do people seem more shocked about the odd swear word in a game than the fact that you can mince, mangle, dagger, dice, stab and slice people up into disgusting pools of blood? I mean, surely the fact that people are getting killed is more shocking than a few naughty words?

People will then say (In silly, Granny voice), "But it's only virtual people being killed, but the swearing is atually said by somebody, and this could be what is reflecting in todays children".

I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous arguments i've ever heard in my entire life. So lets just say that kids do mimic the actions seen in games, that means that they should be running round with shotguns killing eachother! But, are they? No.

The argument that really puts a lid on it is that these games are for adults! They are 18's and therefore should not be played by anyone under 18. Argument over.

So what do you lot think? Do you think adults and moany old grannies have a point? Or should they be concentrating on something more important?
Mon 10/02/03 at 12:34
I totaly agree with you, and that people should spend there time on whats imprortant.
Mon 10/02/03 at 12:48
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I blame the media. This month's (Feb) PSM2 featured the f-word on page 20. OK, so they were quoting Core Design's Adrian Smith when he was describing how difficult the original Tomb Raider game was, but they could have edited because this is a magazine that doesn't have an age rating, anyone can buy it.

The whole point of parenting is that you're meant to be able to protect your kids from the outside world until such a time as they are prepared for it. Age ratings on games are OK, responsible parents will understand why they're there, and prevent their kids from playing them. Forums 'should' be OK, they've got swear filters. You notice how the majority of people who circumvent the filters don't have kids of their own?

But there are so many things working against parents these days, especially the mass media, that make shielding their kids more difficult by the day. The argument against having swearing/violence in games is a strong one, despite the age ratings, because today games are still perceived as being for children, although this perception is changing rapidly.

It doesn't really matter that most kids today learn the full vocabularly of swear words by the time they've spend 20 minutes in a playground. The main point is that parents should be able to guide their children in the rights and wrongs of swearing, violence, and all other aspects of life.

In short, if something goes wrong, the blame should always lie squarely at the feet of the parents.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.