GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Mags - What's your choice?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/01/02 at 12:11
Regular
Now we all know that there are many PS2 magazines around, all wit different opinions on games and the other consoles. I made this post so you can all talk about what is the mag for you and what you like about it.

Official PlayStation 2 Magazine :

This is the Official mag for the PS2, following up Playstation Official Magazine. This magazine is a good read and can be educational in ways. The writers know what they are writing about and they know how to get jobs in the industry. The free demo that is given away with the mag is good for the videos on it but the playable ones are pretty rubbish, they are only 4 minutes long and that isn't very good, especially playing a game like Pro Evolution which takes time. Overall rating for this mag, 8/10 (just what it gives a majority of the games)

PlayStation Magazine 2 :

I have bought a few edditions of PSM2 and I like it better than the Official mag. The guys that review the game are skilled in doing it and the demo that is given away features good, errr, features. There is no playable part to the demo, just videos but they are longer than OPS2M and they have more as well. PSM2 is a cheaper price (it is smaller) but I think the reviews are better, they really capture what the game is about and any of them could win a GAD on SR. ;-) Overall I would give this mag 9/10.

PlayStation Max :

Now this is what we could call the "childish" magazine. They can be funny at times but they have a childish image, with Max the Dog leaving it's mess behind an things like that. But anyway, down to the games reviews. MAX is a good source for the more adventurish games. They like the platformer sort more than horror or other types which boosts their childish reputation. Although the amount of reviews in MAX is limited, they still can produce good ones occasionally. There is no Demo given as a free gift in MAX, just a cheat book usually and maybe a poster. MAX have a thing that they like to give away things, there are many competitions in PlayStation Max which is different from the other mags. Overall I would give MAX 6/10.

PlayStation 2 (P2) :

P2 is a big magazine, no doubt about it. It is quite cheap at £3.50 after it's size. There are many people to review it as well. Strangely P2 needs 4 guys to review every game and they says it's so that they can have "fair judgement" on games. This technique may work better, I don't really know. Anyway, P2 don't have any competitions at all and there isn't normally much of a free gift that comes with the magazine but the reviews are ok. 4 guys each do one small review and thwy work it together into one big review and this is a bit of a strange method but it works for them, and people I know that have bought P2 have said you never can get away. Hmmmmm is all I can say. I give this magazine 7/10 overall.

Thanks for reading, Afro.
Sun 13/01/02 at 21:24
isn't that stating the obvious though?
Sun 13/01/02 at 21:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Both of those really arn't mags that many of us buy because maybe they aren't so popular. (And right at this moment I can't help saying to myself, well duh!)
Sun 13/01/02 at 21:14
seems i'm the different one here as i buy both play magazine and playnation
Sun 13/01/02 at 11:30
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
It looks like overall, PSM2 is the best rated magazine by you guys.
Sun 13/01/02 at 04:55
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
G1NGER wrote:
> I think they are all quite good but spending £15 plus a month on mags is
> not reasonable - especially when you have read most on the news on the net. In
> Chelmsford their is a magazine stand which sells old magazines (they are classed
> as old when the new one goes on sale). Today I got the last PSW and last two
> PSM2's for £3 (a pound each - bargain).
Worth checking out if there is a
> decent sized market near you.

i go here to sometimes. i admit i only get OPSM2 cause of the disk everything else i read on the web.
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:40
Regular
"round the outside"
PSM2 is the best + my cousin gave me a subscribtion for a year!
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:35
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i'm sorry but the opsm2's demos are just two tempting so its the best.
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Bah"
i like PSM2 the mag but not the DVD, i prefer the PSW and OPSM2 DVDs
MM
Sat 12/01/02 at 17:11
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I think they are all quite good but spending £15 plus a month on mags is not reasonable - especially when you have read most on the news on the net. In Chelmsford their is a magazine stand which sells old magazines (they are classed as old when the new one goes on sale). Today I got the last PSW and last two PSM2's for £3 (a pound each - bargain).
Worth checking out if there is a decent sized market near you.
Sat 12/01/02 at 16:51
Regular
"Mole Hole"
Good post Afro Joe. I like PSM2 the best andf I like the DVD you get free with it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.