GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE GAME OF LIFE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/09/00 at 16:54
Regular
When all this talk of computer games, consoles being better than the next console - and well, pretty much anything to do with the gaming scene - it makes me wonder what people are missing out on. All the talk these days is 'have you seen game 'X'?' or 'My console is much better than yours - it has such-and-such amount of gigabytes etc'. Well I am a games player. I do like the odd spell at Championship Manager - but at the end of the day the games are not reality. Real life is so much better than Virtual life - you can be yourself and no-one can take that away from you - but in games? - well you can be Lara Croft, you can be a racing car - you can even be a dolphin. But at the end of the day these things are not what you are - and they have very limited things to do - the missions - all preset - the settings - allready made - ok so you can affect these things by continuing through the games - but really this is just what the games designers design.

There is very little doubt in my mind that anyone can have a gaming experience that is as good as living - and maybe someday - who knows? But maybe someday people will be playing games that involve you in more ways - take Shenmue for example - but there is only one way to experience what YOU want to experience - not what the games designers want you to - but what you want. And my friends, the only way to do this is by living and stimulating your brain through real means.

I don't want to upset anybody - I mean games are great for taking on roles that you could never feasably do in your own life - but Life is much better - as you can do much much more wonderful things than in a game.
Cheers
Sun 10/09/00 at 22:24
Yes,yes,yes, but were you listening properly?
The idea is this, we play games. They are called 'games' because that is what they are. We should not confuse games with real life, which is what you need to earn the money to buy the games to play the games which you should not confuse with real life, you could win the games to not buy the games to play the games which you should not confuse with real life, but we all must play the game of real life to earn the money...
Hm!
So two separate ideas:
1) Games should be more 'Life-Like' i.e. mirror the choices and freedom of life.
Yes, but there has to be some goal otherwise the game would be boring and the game-engine would have to be huge, maybe using the internet as a medium and an online writer, similar to a dungeon master in role-playing games, who works in realtime to change or continue the game world and present new obstacles based on events or actions from the users. I'll tell you later about an idea I had for this type of game...
2) Games should be there to be used as a break from real-life
Yes, good point, but not to be misused. You could spend your whole life playing a game, but who would provide food, clothes and money? You would soon get bored playing games all day, not to mention a lack of exercise. But on the whole, games make good escapism,as do films and TV.
Sun 10/09/00 at 15:06
You can do more wonderful things in life than in a game? Burn this heretic at the stake now!
I'm not suggesting that people should be totally attached to their computers and not live in the real world, because that isn't a nice way to be. However, you can have some pretty amazing experiences in a game which you could NEVER have in real life. Games let you 'try out' grand prix racing without being paralysed for life if you crash, or let you 'be' a gangster hitman without actually being killed when you get a bullet through the head. Some games - take Tetris for a famous example - bear no similarity to real life anyway, so trying to compare the two is pointless. This is the sort of misinformed attitude of all the Daily Mail readers / very old people / Jeremy Paxmans out there who criticise games without doing their research first. Anyone who has ever watched someone playing a classic game like Grand Theft Auto or Half-life will have seen someone enjoying themselves a great deal, and surely that's all that matters.
Also, you could argue that games are just as much a part of real life as anything else - just a part of real life that you experience sitting in front of a computer instead of walking around outside. And even if they aren't real life, you only need to watch the news to see how much misery there is in the real world. I'll just keep my head in the clouds for now.
Sun 10/09/00 at 12:43
Too much caffine probably...
...try cocoa!
Sun 10/09/00 at 01:14
Why oh why I am awake?
Sat 09/09/00 at 23:16
Regular
"Under the Wall"
The board (or bored!) game 'the game of life' was really lame, wasn't it. The little cars and the pink and blue 'people'. It was even more boring than a game of monopoly that you try to play until everyone except the winner goes bankrupt.
Sat 09/09/00 at 11:26
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Life is only a game if you make it so....
"All that is given is not lost"
"A balanced diet is a Mars Bar in each hand"
"He who laughs at himself will always be kept amused."
Sat 09/09/00 at 09:05
"You can be a winner at the game of life"
Fri 08/09/00 at 21:43
Regular
"Walking Stick Neede"
to true man!!!!!!!!!
Fri 08/09/00 at 21:43
It's not time to sleep yet. Danny boy?Ok,,,
Fri 08/09/00 at 21:36
Bloody hell Daniel boy
don't you ever sleep
stop putting messages everywhere

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.