GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GameBoy MD"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 18:45
Regular
Here is my idea for future GameBoy, and not a console game. This is not just an idea, it is also what I have chosen to do my DT Graphics project on, this year at AS level.

The GameBoy is the best-selling all-time console world-wide. Nintendo want to keep it that way, but will they be able to with the speed of which technology is changing. Many people critisised Nintendo for continuing the use of cartridges, instead of updating to more modern technology, like CD's. Other consoles went 'hi-tech' and came out with good results. Where-as Nintendo stuck with the good old carts and showed us that there's still some use in those big, old, chunky blocks. The GameBoy has always stuck with this system, and seems to be sticking with it. Should the GameBoy Advance be the last portable system to use cartridges, or is there a better solution, to keep up to date with the times???

Surely you can't expect Nintendo to somehow adapt the use of full sized CD's??? Even miniature GameCube discs would be a challenge for the Ninty developers! They have to incorporate an ejecting system, which could complicate matters, possibly enlarging the console's size and using up valuable battery power. I don't think that an MP3 system would work, as you couldn't expect to download the games for free. But what about mini-discs?? They're small, compact, and music wise, you can store upto 320 minutes on just one disc!! Imagine if all that space was used up by one game....you'd have possibly the biggest ever GameBoy adventure EVER created!!

To me, mini-discs are the only other alternative answer to cartridges, and tha is why I have chosen them fr my project. The only problem with MD's though is that you cannot save data onto them, so in a way, they are like some N64 cartridges aswell as full-sized CD's. Looking at the size required for a mini-disc slot, and by also requiring slots for a memory card and batteries, you can see that the overall size of the GameBoy may have to be increased. This could mean that it becomes more difficult to create a pocket sized console, making it one of the bigger and chunkier of the GameBoy series.

One of my main intentions of this new console is to increase the size of it's screen, compared to previous GameBoy screens. After all, if it is to be 64-bit (following on from the 32-bit GBA) like I have predicted, you can't really expect to have to play games in top quality graphics on such a tiny screen! You be missing out on half the fun that's been added by those hard working Nintendo developers. I'm thinking of a slightly different shape, maybe oval or a rounded rectangle?? An adapter to a TV (like the GBA idea) is still the best way to get a bigger picture.

Aswell as being up-to-date, and a new console, I also want to keep it as a different design to the previous models. I do already have an idea for the shape and layout, but I still need to decide on certain sizes. I haven't decided to add any new buttons, but have enlarged the L and R buttons for younger gamers. As the younger age is my 'target audience'. I also originally had plans to add an N64 styel joystick, but I decided to scrap the idea after thinking about how GameBoy games actually play. On the back I have decided to add to lumps for extra grip. Just like what can be found on the back of the N64/GC controllers, but without the Z-trigger button.

Choosing a shape was quite hard for me, as I knew I had to keep it compact and easy to use. Ther are no corners which makes it safer, and it looks similar to the rectangular shape of the original GameBoy. And by looking at it you'll see that it looks like 2 round shapes, one ontop of the other. It won't be too thick, probably no thicker than 2cm, with the GBA at 1.5cm wide.

With all these ideas and plans, and still a bit of development to finnish, I hope to start making the final model within the next week or two. I am currently planning my ideas on 2 rough models, and I hope to have them finnsihed by the end of next week. I'll keep you informed with how it goes and all the changes, right untill the end of the project.
Fri 11/01/02 at 18:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Here is my idea for future GameBoy, and not a console game. This is not just an idea, it is also what I have chosen to do my DT Graphics project on, this year at AS level.

The GameBoy is the best-selling all-time console world-wide. Nintendo want to keep it that way, but will they be able to with the speed of which technology is changing. Many people critisised Nintendo for continuing the use of cartridges, instead of updating to more modern technology, like CD's. Other consoles went 'hi-tech' and came out with good results. Where-as Nintendo stuck with the good old carts and showed us that there's still some use in those big, old, chunky blocks. The GameBoy has always stuck with this system, and seems to be sticking with it. Should the GameBoy Advance be the last portable system to use cartridges, or is there a better solution, to keep up to date with the times???

Surely you can't expect Nintendo to somehow adapt the use of full sized CD's??? Even miniature GameCube discs would be a challenge for the Ninty developers! They have to incorporate an ejecting system, which could complicate matters, possibly enlarging the console's size and using up valuable battery power. I don't think that an MP3 system would work, as you couldn't expect to download the games for free. But what about mini-discs?? They're small, compact, and music wise, you can store upto 320 minutes on just one disc!! Imagine if all that space was used up by one game....you'd have possibly the biggest ever GameBoy adventure EVER created!!

To me, mini-discs are the only other alternative answer to cartridges, and tha is why I have chosen them fr my project. The only problem with MD's though is that you cannot save data onto them, so in a way, they are like some N64 cartridges aswell as full-sized CD's. Looking at the size required for a mini-disc slot, and by also requiring slots for a memory card and batteries, you can see that the overall size of the GameBoy may have to be increased. This could mean that it becomes more difficult to create a pocket sized console, making it one of the bigger and chunkier of the GameBoy series.

One of my main intentions of this new console is to increase the size of it's screen, compared to previous GameBoy screens. After all, if it is to be 64-bit (following on from the 32-bit GBA) like I have predicted, you can't really expect to have to play games in top quality graphics on such a tiny screen! You be missing out on half the fun that's been added by those hard working Nintendo developers. I'm thinking of a slightly different shape, maybe oval or a rounded rectangle?? An adapter to a TV (like the GBA idea) is still the best way to get a bigger picture.

Aswell as being up-to-date, and a new console, I also want to keep it as a different design to the previous models. I do already have an idea for the shape and layout, but I still need to decide on certain sizes. I haven't decided to add any new buttons, but have enlarged the L and R buttons for younger gamers. As the younger age is my 'target audience'. I also originally had plans to add an N64 styel joystick, but I decided to scrap the idea after thinking about how GameBoy games actually play. On the back I have decided to add to lumps for extra grip. Just like what can be found on the back of the N64/GC controllers, but without the Z-trigger button.

Choosing a shape was quite hard for me, as I knew I had to keep it compact and easy to use. Ther are no corners which makes it safer, and it looks similar to the rectangular shape of the original GameBoy. And by looking at it you'll see that it looks like 2 round shapes, one ontop of the other. It won't be too thick, probably no thicker than 2cm, with the GBA at 1.5cm wide.

With all these ideas and plans, and still a bit of development to finnish, I hope to start making the final model within the next week or two. I am currently planning my ideas on 2 rough models, and I hope to have them finnsihed by the end of next week. I'll keep you informed with how it goes and all the changes, right untill the end of the project.
Mon 14/01/02 at 15:56
I must say, thats a bloody good idea!!!
As you said mini-disks are the answer, and of course a mem-card would be needed, but that could be placed into a opening in the back or something, and you are totally correct on the size of the game, as some people (including myself), take just a week or so just to complete some the biggest games at the moment, they are just to small for a good enough game.

But the reason of the fact that NINTENDO kept with the old cartridges was because of the very short load time, it takes just seconds for the game to start, but look at the PSX and PS2 even the D-Cast, it can sometimes take up to 5 mins just to play the first level.

But as i said at first bloody good idea!
Mon 14/01/02 at 15:59
One more thing, make sure that the D-pad is big enough, look at the GBA pad, its impossible to do any thing due to the small pad.
Mon 14/01/02 at 16:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Good point, thanks! I'll have to consider that. Or I may change the D-pad slightly and put it on a round shape, like with some PC/unofficial PS pads. Thanks for reading my post too.
Thu 17/01/02 at 17:46
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm now having to consider increasing the size of the GameBoy. I did I quick model earlier today, and realised that on the back i'm going to need to fit slots for mini-discs, batteries and memory cards, aswell as 2 grip-supports in the bottom corners!! My current models are about 14cm high and 9cm across. The sides will be about 3cm wide, which is wider than existing GameBoys, including the GameBoy Advance. And I don't want to make it too much bigger, as I want to keep it close to pocket sized, even if it doesn't quite fit in your pocket too easily.

If you join this up better then you'll see roughly what shape I want it to be:
_
( )
( )
Fri 18/01/02 at 20:36
"High polygon count"
I don't see Nintendo ever basing a GameBoy on the MiniDisc because it's a Sony product; for every disc sold, a royalty must be paid to Sony - just like Philips receive royalties for every CD sold.
Sat 19/01/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yes but there are TDK and other MD's aswell as Sony. Maybe Nintendo would create their own, maybe even smaller! They have 8cm discs for the GameCube, and discs of some kind will be used sometime in the near future.
Wed 23/01/02 at 21:11
"slightlyshortertagl"
amazing idea.. ood luck with the exams good luck.. MiniDiscs are a good idea but they're sooo uch like Cartriges if you know what i mean.. same size (probably bigger) and more expensive.....

Good Luck
Thu 31/01/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've got some idea of what size it's gunna be:

Height: 15.5cm - as small as I can make it with 3 slots!
Width (across face+back): 10cm - due to the bigger screen and MD slot.
Width (of sides): 2cm

Screen hight: I think it's 5/6cm??
Screen width: I think it's 7.5cm??

So these could be some of the final sizes of my GameBoy MD, which I plan to start making next week. I know it'll be quite big, and probably won't be pocket sized, but what do you think??
Mon 04/02/02 at 20:56
"penguins in hawaii?"
it's a good idea, we need more idesd like this so that the gameboy can be used not just for games (although it does it perfectly) it would be nice for something else. The gb camera was good, not great, but the Gameboy MD idead is genious, pure genious...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.