GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live! Would like some info from those who test drive plz"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/02/03 at 00:00
Regular
I would dearly like to get xbox live but currently do not have a broadband connection or equivelant. I have been checking out the official xbox site and have read up on Live and it seems to be more complicated than i thought. Originally i had the idea that once you have a broadband connection then all you need is the xbox live starter pack and you are away, but it seems there is more, is there? There's all this stuff about setting up your connection, (routers, ethernet?)

In my house primarily broadband would be purchased(if it is ever available in my area), to get a fast connection for the PC, but i also have ideas(xbox live, haven't mentioned it to the bill payer of the house yet).

The office in my house(where PC is), is at the opposite side of the house to where my livingroom is(xbox station), would this be a problem? I don't live in a standard square shaped sort of house either, its stupidly long.

Also if we get broadband then it is very likely to be BT OpenWorld, will this provide lower quality play than ntl:Home? Because ntl are the official xbox live provider, aren't they?

Are there any hidden costs? On the ntl site they say that there will be additional costs to the already 30 odd quid if you want xbox live aswell, so it'll probably be about £45+, won't it?

Please help, cos i need to have a better understanding of this stuff before i get xbox live(if i ever do, oh i hope i do!).
Thu 13/02/03 at 21:15
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
If your PC has an ethernet port then might already have a Network card inside?

Also, if you have a system link cable for your xbox, it IS a ethernet crossover cable, so it will work. Although I doubt it will streach by the sound of things.
Wed 12/02/03 at 23:51
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
Thanks a lot people, that does help. So basically if i want to play on xbox live and be able to go on the net on the pc at the same time i need to get this crossover cable thing plus a networkcard thing(sorry, not sure what they are called and can't be bothered to go back a page while writing this to check), so it's just a case of shedding out a few dollar on getting these appliances(crossover thing, network thing), getting broadband and getting the xbox live starter pack?

cheers for the help, much appreciated, it has simplified things some what.

I am quite a tech type person but have never actually needed to know about these broadband networking things and so on, so i appreciate this.
Wed 12/02/03 at 16:35
Regular
Im with pipex...and connection with them is excellent. Xbox live works perfect through them. Goto www.pipex.com, their only £24 a month and £19.99 for connection, usb modem and filters which is a bargain. My xbox is connected to my pc with a crossover cable (15 metres) which you can buy from www.dabs.com, i also have a NIC card (network card) which you can get from amazon or anywhere for cheap.. Ive got windows ME and ICS (internet connection sharing) which is enabled, this lets the xbox share the internet with my PC...the setup work excellent because i can be on the net at the same time as playing on the xbox.....(hope this helps)
Wed 12/02/03 at 15:38
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Oh, just one more thing. You will get the same service through BT as you would through NTL, BT are also an official provider. You do not pay any extra money to BT, you pay for the starter kit and that includes a 1year subscription to Xbox Live. So you will pay BT its 29.99 a month for the broadband service and a once yearly fee to Xbox Live which at the moment is 39.99
Wed 12/02/03 at 15:29
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Ok, if you get BT Broadband then the easiest and cheapest way would be to get a cross over network cable and run it from your Xbox to your PC. If your computer does not have a network card then you will have to buy one, they are only around 10 – 15 pounds. As I said that is the easiest and cheapest way, but there are other options that cost more money.
Wed 12/02/03 at 13:54
"slightlyshortertagl"
buy the pack

phone 08005471102 then all will be ok
Wed 12/02/03 at 00:00
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
I would dearly like to get xbox live but currently do not have a broadband connection or equivelant. I have been checking out the official xbox site and have read up on Live and it seems to be more complicated than i thought. Originally i had the idea that once you have a broadband connection then all you need is the xbox live starter pack and you are away, but it seems there is more, is there? There's all this stuff about setting up your connection, (routers, ethernet?)

In my house primarily broadband would be purchased(if it is ever available in my area), to get a fast connection for the PC, but i also have ideas(xbox live, haven't mentioned it to the bill payer of the house yet).

The office in my house(where PC is), is at the opposite side of the house to where my livingroom is(xbox station), would this be a problem? I don't live in a standard square shaped sort of house either, its stupidly long.

Also if we get broadband then it is very likely to be BT OpenWorld, will this provide lower quality play than ntl:Home? Because ntl are the official xbox live provider, aren't they?

Are there any hidden costs? On the ntl site they say that there will be additional costs to the already 30 odd quid if you want xbox live aswell, so it'll probably be about £45+, won't it?

Please help, cos i need to have a better understanding of this stuff before i get xbox live(if i ever do, oh i hope i do!).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.