GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MK 5 - Deadly Alliance. First Impressions Thread."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance'.
Wed 12/02/03 at 09:43
Regular
Well folks - Feb 14th. I know what my girl is looking forward to and it certainly isn't what I want (or there is a good possibility it is - but it's not a game...or it could be but...-erm...*puts shovel down and tries to climb out of enormous hole*)

ahem - well this thread is for all those Kombateers *puke* who will rush out on friday and re-live some of the most awesome gaming momemts I can remeber in MK 1, MK 2, and the sheer mystery surrounding the game.

It's gonna be brilliant I am sure.

YAY!
Fri 14/02/03 at 20:37
Regular
never liked fighting games myself, super smash brothers is good, but isnt a traditional fighting game.

never know why i dont like them, oh well....i for one wont be getting it. But if you like fighting games, you can get much worse.
Fri 14/02/03 at 20:21
Regular
I've never had a Mortal Kombat game, always wanted one, but I'm still not sure. There are obviously better games coming out, and I don't want to buy it because of the name. Should I get it? Who knows? I will if United beat Arsenal tomorrow. COME ON YOU REDS!!(United)
Fri 14/02/03 at 16:45
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> I apologise (this doesn't happen often so consider yourself
> privaledged :D)

Respect mate. Thanks for restoring my faith. Speak to you soon. :D

Happy V day peeps...
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:43
Regular
Delorentis wrote:

> *Sigh* It seems antagonism is the disease this forum suffers from.
> Heck - all I was asking was if you "think" people are not
> looking forward to it, it would be good to know why. I was expecting
> some sort of well thought out list, not an insult. Thanks for your
> deconstructive criticism.

Well i apologise it seems I misread the tone of your post, I thought it was who was having a go at me.

I thought you where trying to say I was forcing my views on people.

I apologise (this doesn't happen often so consider yourself privaledged :D)

I blame it partially on the state of the forums, I'm fed up with annoying little punks trying to start arguments. I guess I was wrong in this case.
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:14
"Uzi Lover"
No pit thing?

So does that mean that when I'm standing on a ledge I can't finish them off in the spikes?

I loved that bit in the SNES version.
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Theres only one finishin move per character.

And none of the pit fatalities or Babalitites, or whatever they were.
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:06
"Uzi Lover"
Mortal Kombat.

It's been on my 'Maybe' list for a long time and at the moment I am very tempted to just go and get it tommorow.

I got a few videos and in soem aspects it looks great but then again it doesn't look all that. No doubt about it, Soul Calibur does do 3D better then this game does but I'm thinking there is still alot of play in this game.

I haven't played the game but from the videos I can tell two bad things about the game.

1. The "WO! ERGH! ARG!" sounds from the characters sound crap. It would be ok if they made a sound once in a while but it seems in this game that they do it ALL THE TIME. Annoying. Still, if I was being ripped to shreads I probably would make noises. Not orgasmic though.

2. The whole gameplay thing doesn't look that good. In a fighting game you want alot of high speed combat (kombat, whatever). In the videos I saw it looked as though Mortal Kombat was just a load of cut scenes which do the moves for you after you've pressed certain buttons. You know what I mean, Sonic Adventure style, you go near a loop and suddenly a 1/4 of the level is done by you touching nothing at all. I don't like sitting back watching the computer do stuff for me, I want to feel I'm doing it. Anyway, when you do a certain move the camera changes angle and goes into a crappy automated move thing.

But still these are minor things and the game probably is going to be great. I've heard of an online mode, excellent. I wanted that for Capcom VS SNK 2 EO but it was online for Xbox :-(

There's about 900 unlockables which will keep me going and "FINISH HIM!" will never get old.

Now I just need to try and look 18 to get the game in HMV with my £10 voucher, or just try my luck.
Thu 13/02/03 at 17:41
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I said 'I think' you mong, as in my opinion.
>
> I think the fact that the internet community seem to be taking little
> intrest in the game says it all really. Back in the days of the SNES a
> new Mortal Combat game coming out was a time for celebration, nowadays
> no one takes much notice.
>
> Soul Calibur all the way.

*Sigh* It seems antagonism is the disease this forum suffers from. Heck - all I was asking was if you "think" people are not looking forward to it, it would be good to know why. I was expecting some sort of well thought out list, not an insult. Thanks for your deconstructive criticism.

You chaps can wait another 3 (whatever) months for soul calibur, which happens to be a member of the tired beat em up genre scene too. Reviews and ratings from respectable magazines, websites etc have listed MK as a far better than average so why should hype sell it? I think it will speak for itself. Also if you want hype - wait for the run up to the release of Soul Calibur, the hype will dwarf MK, and I am sure the argument will dissolve itself...and we can all be sure that is game we will add to our collections.

As for tired genres, FPS, Platform, Beat em up,etc etc...they're all sounding a bit limp these days. Truly original games are few and far between eg Rez, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, GTA etc

So -thank you for your contribution Tiltawhirl, and no this is not the kiddies playground (I did not say your daddy has big ears, and my daddy doesnt) so reacting with that kind of animosity is not necessary.
Thu 13/02/03 at 16:23
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Beat-em-ups are a stale tired format these days...

MK will undoubtedly sell because of the hype, as usual.
Thu 13/02/03 at 16:21
Regular
I said 'I think' you mong, as in my opinion.

I think the fact that the internet community seem to be taking little intrest in the game says it all really. Back in the days of the SNES a new Mortal Combat game coming out was a time for celebration, nowadays no one takes much notice.

Soul Calibur all the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.