GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Generation Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/01/02 at 23:41
Regular
Whenever I come across discussions regarding Next Generation Consoles, the one thing that springs in mind are the revolutionary graphics; for starters, anyway.
I always here that Next Generation Consoles will be doing this with games, and that with games, but when it comes to production, nothing really attracts my attention. I mentioned the graphics because that’s the prime difference about any new console that comes to the industry. The processing power, the speed of the CD-ROM drive, and the extras such as, DVD playback and Broadband connection are all irrelevant. I say this because the gaming industry should be based on games, and games alone. When game developers decide top produce a new machine, they always try to beat the competition by adding in something like Internet connection or DDV playback. They even have a DVD Region X CD for the PlayStation 2, which is all a gimmick really. I mean, how often can someone go on holiday and buy DVD movies, and even if you were to by the DVD’s over here, it will cost you more than your local store; what with the handling and shipping charge and everything.

So let’s leave out downers, and take a look at what each console has to offer…

Lets begin with Sony’s new machine, the PlayStation 2.
Some say it’s terrible and very disappointing. They say it could have been so much better. In fact, I keep hearing that most PlayStation gamers are disappointed rather than being pleased with the console. I for one agree, and this is coming from a PS2 gamer as well. I am really upset with the fact that the PS2 had a £300 price start at launch, Just because the original PlayStation had millions of units sold Sony thought they could pull the same swindle over us with the PlayStation 2. It works of course, but that’s because everyone just had to have one, and besides…not many people wanted to wait so long and for something so disappointing. Anyway, it is nice to see that the price has dropped quite a bit, and it’s also relieving to find such quality games out on the shelves, too. Devil Mat Cry for instance; the game to compete against Metal Gear Solid. Had Solid Snake found his new rivalry? I think so…
Jak And Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is another great game, but one to sell the system ahs to be the one and only…Gran Turismo 3, which is also sold packaged, with the official GT Force Feedback steering wheel and pedals. There are many other fantastic titles that deserved to be mentioned, but too I have the time to type all one hundred of them? (Laughs)

The Gamecube. Ah yes…Nintendo’s latest product arriving shortly to the UK. It has set a new standard in gaming technology with its superb visual capabilities, vast array of fabulous titles, aimed both at children and adults. A true machine that caters for all.
So what are the games due for launch date? Well…there’s Luigi’s Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Raven Blade, and many others that look absolutely fabulous in detail and in gameplay. Resident Evil, a remake of the PlayStation’s greatest survival horror title gets a makeover – it looks amazing on the Gamecube...simply amazing. Expect to see Soul Calibre 2, as well.

The XBOX – Microsoft’s first introduction towards the console industry.
The XBOX is a unique piece of work. It manages to keep gamers in anticipation, whilst it maintains its place as the world’s most powerful console in history. It sets a new revolution to the gaming world, giving you three times the capability in graphics than any other console to date. Games like Halo, dead Or Alive 3 and Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee are all set as exclusives to support Microsoft’s new machine.

Well, there it is…the Next Generation Consoles. Make your decision now everyone, because the universe, as we know it, is going to be storming with these incredibly games and consoles very soon.

Thanks for reading,

Dark Summit
Sun 13/01/02 at 12:38
That's one hell of a Megamix Dan2K1.

Enjoy...
Sat 12/01/02 at 22:32
Megamix - Milk Inc,Moon,Lasgo,Kate Ryan,Darude,Daddy Dj,Brooklyn Bounce,Public Domain,Scooter,Sunclub-NeverAgain,Sushi,Something,Scream For More,Sandstorm,Bass Beats & Melody,Rock Da Funky Beats, Posse, Fiesta(1)

Daddy Dj - Daddy dj = fantastic!
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:46
Thanks Dan2K1

What song are you listening to by the way?
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:43
Change your name to doc then.

Nice topic, but DVD region X - it's not such a gimmick - loads of people have it as you can get multi region dvd earlier, cheaper and in this country - online, loads of places.

Oh and this song I am listening to is amazing.

:)
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:40
DrDragon wrote:
> no problem, and call me doc

You got it doc!
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:30
Regular
"699 days!"
no problem, and call me doc
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:14
Sorry DrDragon - I actually thought you wrote, "Do I have an xcuse"

My mistake
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:13
DrDragon wrote:
> Dark Summit wrote:
> Make
> your decision now everyone

Well I do have
> an xcuse

Apparently not, but still…opinions vary.
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:12
"slightlyshortertagl"
and wot's thaT?
Sat 12/01/02 at 18:07
Regular
"699 days!"
Dark Summit wrote:
> Make
> your decision now everyone

Well I do have an xcuse

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.