GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worst Weapon Ever"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/02/03 at 17:05
Regular
Has to be the flamethrower. I hate it personally. Whether you're trying to use a little hand-held thrower to fry 'things' in, erm. The Thing, or whether you're frying Nazis with a 20-gallon capacity jet propelled 50ft range thrower, or even if you're toasting monkeys in TimeSplitters 2, they never seem to give that same satisfaction that comes with putting a bullet through someone, or stabbing them, or letting rip with a minigun.

Even the crossbow is more fun, as you get the satisfying click/squelch sound of firing/impact. But with a flamer it's just WHOOOOMPH and if you were lucky to hit anything it turns to charcoal, or runs about a bit then turns to charcoal. Quite often your flaming target runs straight into you and turns you to charcoal as well.

Flamethrowers just don't have that 'game dynamic', that 'pick up and play' ease of use. You have to judge trajectories, arcs, ranges, remaining napalm levels etc., so going from minigun to flamethrower during a level completely changes your approach in most games. Instead of a continuous all-out blast-fest you have to suddenly adopt a more cerebral approach to your targetting, which goes against the grain in a great many cases.

2nd worse is the grenade. Grenade launchers are fine. But hand thrown grenades are just so fidgety trying to get the range right, the blast radius down pat and the fact that you're trying to hit a moving target that's firing back at you at the time doesn't really help, because using a grenade generally exposes you more. Medal of Honour: Frontline is a good example of where grenades can actually be used properly, but try throwing them under pressure, hitting your target, and not taking damage yourself.

In the grenade's favour, which makes it rank 2nd worse, is that you know exactly how many you've got left at all times, and when they DO actually hit your intended target they tend to create some neat results, like body parts flying in lots of general directions accompanied by appropriate screams of agony from the wounded. (This is assuming that you didn't drop the first grenade at your feet by accident and lived to see the result).

All they'd need to do to make the grenade a much handier weapon is revamp the control system. Instead of the 'press X and hope all goes well' technique that most games currently have, why not just have a crosshair appear which indicates 'when you press X, THIS is where you're grenade is gonna end up'. Much simpler. Much less cerebral. Much more prospect for carnage there.

3rd worse weapon ever is the butt. Whoever thought that you could defeat enemies by bouncing on their heads with your butt should be shot. Since the dawn of history, I don't think there has ever been a recorded scenario of 'death by butt'. So just where did that idea come from? Does Max Payne do it? Does Solid Snake do it? Does Duke Nukem do it? No. So why have it? Why not substitute it with a foam hammer that you can whack things with in an effort to appease the ELSPA ratings?
Fri 14/02/03 at 14:27
"For the horde!!!!"
one shot kills with rocketlaunchers is priceless
*respawns with rocketlauncher*
*sees rocket blasts everywhere*

aaarrgggghhhhh
Fri 14/02/03 at 14:23
Regular
"That's right!"
Dual klobbs were great in single player Goldeneye, especially if you were bored of one shot to the head with the PPK.

But, yeah, in multiplayer they were pretty worthless.
Fri 14/02/03 at 13:45
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
The most impressive FlameThrower I've ever seen is in the game Kingpin. It has the most amazing ^F T^ effects.

Although, my favourite weapon in all games is the UZI, short sweet and to the point.
Fri 14/02/03 at 10:19
Regular
"Booze monkeys!"
Using bricks is an artform sniping is just cowardly (and amusing - in games only).
Fri 14/02/03 at 10:09
"For the horde!!!!"
plasticcoated wrote:
> Goldeneye's Klobb still lives on the worst weapon ever in a game.

god i remember that rubbis you would target someone and spray around them with bullets.

one shot kills with bricks is better because you need skill rarther than some cheesy git camping with a sniper rifle
Fri 14/02/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Booze monkeys!"
Goldeneye's Klobb still lives on the worst weapon ever in a game.
Fri 14/02/03 at 10:02
Regular
Funny for 5 minutes then it dawns on you that throwing bricks is really crap.

Worst weapon has gotta be every single gun in Agent Under Fire, if I wanted a game where the guns fire Jelly then I would have bought a game where the guns fire Jelly.

Stupid AUF, if it was a person i'd kickit in the nuts.
Fri 14/02/03 at 09:44
"For the horde!!!!"
Drunk Cow wrote:
> Shadow Knight wrote:
> what about bricks :)
>
> Throwing bricks at zobies in a Chineese hotel place is funnnnn.

one shot kill deathmatchs in Timesplitters 2 with only bricks is well funny
Fri 14/02/03 at 09:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The big venus fly trap things?

They shoot fireballs at mario. As does Bowser. There are several others which do, too. Depends which version of Mario you're playing.

So it's not much of a suprise that he chose to equip miself with a water hose in his last outing, is it really?
Fri 14/02/03 at 04:12
Regular
Heh. :)

I was just trying to remember if there were creatures that spurted fire out of their mouths or if I had made it up. Sleep is probably a wise thing to do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.