GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WINDOWS XP, PLEASE HELP!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/02/03 at 18:07
Regular
Recently my mum got a laptop with Windows XP. It was pre installed etc. What I want to know, is can I use that same CD on my computer I am building from scratch? I have the reg code that you phone up for, etc.

So can I or not? If I cant please explain why?
Thu 13/02/03 at 18:07
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Recently my mum got a laptop with Windows XP. It was pre installed etc. What I want to know, is can I use that same CD on my computer I am building from scratch? I have the reg code that you phone up for, etc.

So can I or not? If I cant please explain why?
Thu 13/02/03 at 23:59
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
In short, no.

The license you have for the current windows XP will most likely be for one user only, meaning if you had it running on two machines at the same time, you would be breaking the copyright. It might even say you cannot install it on any other machine, even if you delete it off the original machine.

To quote the windows XP help:

Can I make a second copy of my Microsoft Windows operating system software for my portable computer?

The answer is generally, "no." Copyright law and the terms of your End-User License Agreement (EULA) govern your rights to copy and run Microsoft software. In the case of Microsoft Windows operating system software, the EULA does not permit you to run more than one copy. If your Microsoft operating system software (such as Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition) was supplied to you preinstalled on a new computer system by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), different license terms apply. In such cases, you may not make a second copy and the software itself is not transferable to a different computer system, even if you delete it from the original computer system. Please read the EULA contained in this software for complete information. Please note that under certain Microsoft volume licensing programs intended for businesses, you may have different rights. Please consult the agreements that govern such programs for complete information.
Fri 14/02/03 at 22:55
Regular
"Nobody Home"
so is that a yes u can... illegally, breaking EULA, etc?
Or no its impossible to do?
Sat 15/02/03 at 08:00
Regular
"Nobody Home"
any1???
Sat 15/02/03 at 11:32
Regular
"Nobody Home"
some1?
Sat 15/02/03 at 12:59
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
danieldone wrote:
> so is that a yes u can... illegally, breaking EULA, etc?
> Or no its impossible to do?

Windows also registers online and will know if you have two or more copies running at the same time. So no, you can't.

You can start to download cracks and things to prevent Windows registering, but I'm not telling you where to get them as it's illegal.
Sat 15/02/03 at 21:21
Not really - it is possible, just illegal. If you install XP on the laptop, you can still register by phone using the activation code - but from then on it probably isn't a wise idea to connect to the internet with the laptop or your PC.
Sat 15/02/03 at 21:22
Sorry about the grammar, replace "using" with "for".
Mon 24/02/03 at 05:38
Regular
"Suck it baby, yeah!"
Who cares??! Windows XP is supposed to be highly incompatible with games, I ahve heard of numerous games (Midtown madness 2, Full Throttle, and heaps more) refusing to work, if you want my opinion (which you probably don't) put Win98 se on your machine, it may be older and lack the features, but it should be better for gaming.
Mon 24/02/03 at 13:16
Regular
I can't disagree with you more, Windows xp is the best and most stable operating system from Microsoft so far, i have never had problems with games on it either.

c.b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.