GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is cel shaded graphics the future of all games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 17:43
Regular
I have seen some games now that are using cel shaded graphics and to me they dont look that good the game X111 (thirteen) is cell shaded and so is zelda on the gamecube now if all games turn out to be like this as i have heard feom one of the makers of games then it will ruin all the games and no-one will buy them anymore just imagine grand theft auto or the getaway or one of your favourite game cell shaded would you like it or not. Please let me know what your point of view is towards this problem
Sat 08/03/03 at 22:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Lou Role wrote:

> just wont feel like a Zelda game, it will seem more like a platformer than an RPG.

Graphics (unless specificly designed to do so) have NO effect whatsoever on the gameplay. Zelda will always be what it is, because it will always have its distinctive, perfect gameplay. The graphics make no difference to its genre, and they also allow a more emotive cast of characters. Plus it looks lovely in motion.

The stigma is ridiculous.
Sat 08/03/03 at 18:26
Regular
I absolutely hate cell shading
Mon 24/02/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I bought my first cel shaded game on Saturday - Wild Arms 3 - and i have to say it does look very nice indeed. Nnice lighting effects and the characters look great with their facial expressions and clothes. If all of them look this nice then it's a great technique to use, just maybe not all the time.
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:37
Regular
Cel Shading certainly shouldn't be the future, and isn't. But there's no doubting it's a great technique, and can be pulled off to fantastic graphical effect - just look at the outstanding visuals of the forthcome Legend Of Zelda game! I'd like to see more games incorporate this idea, but an equal number give realism a well deserved place.
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:34
"period drama"
Of course all games won't be cel shaded, but it'll be tried in each genre a few times most probably.
You don't see other games all using the same graphical style, it's just that cel shading is so unique that you notice it more than others.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:29
"High polygon count"
maddmun wrote:
> It's actually given to the best post of the day. Even if all that post
> says is I jammed my foot in an automatic door somehow, if it's the
> best of the day, it wins. You see? Not that I've ever won though.

Not strictly true - I'm sure the SR staff have said that if there is no post considered worthy, no game will be awarded. But I've not seen it happen yet.
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:18
Regular
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> grand theft ali wrote:
> there more chance of winning
>
> Er, no. First off, it's not even a very good topic, but it is alright.
> Secondly, it's about 5 lines long, showing you haven't put all that
> much effort into it. GAD is not only given to the best post of the
> day, but it is given to someone who has put a lot of effort into the
> post and has added to the forum.

It's actually given to the best post of the day. Even if all that post says is I jammed my foot in an automatic door somehow, if it's the best of the day, it wins. You see? Not that I've ever won though.
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:19
"High polygon count"
Some of you will have seen a few of my previous posts on the subject of cel shading, and will know that I generally HATE it.

But I've just played the demo of Sly Racoon, and I have to say it works really well, and it really does suit the game.

Oh, and the game is pretty darn good, too! :-)
Thu 20/02/03 at 14:48
"Darkness, always"
I doubt it is the future of games, but I do see a future for cel shaded games in the market. Which is to say that some companies will develop a few cel games over the next 5 or 6 years at least, until something better comes along.

To be honest, I don't see a problem with it, the style does suit certain types of games. Comic or cartoon adaptions for starters.
Thu 20/02/03 at 14:45
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i don't think it is the future of games but rather something like a phase games companies go through, i have to admit it is a cool effect making 3d games look like cartoons but like other popular effect which started appearing in all games but have died down in recent game it'll pass. like motion blur and matrix style 360 degree camera angle effects, etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.