GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rodney you plonker"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 18:26
Regular
Stick a pony in me pocket,
I'll fetch the suitcase from the van.
Cos if you want the best 'uns,
But you don't ask questions,
Then brother, I'm your man…

Have you ever wondered why a national treasure such as Only Fools and Horses has never been turned into a game? Granted a majority of games based on or around TV/Films haven’t shown too much potential, but Only Fools and Horses has got something no other game will have…It’ll be set in Peckham!

So set in Peckham your first job is to decide which character to play out of the flamboyant Del Boy or the genius that is Rodney Trotter with his two GCE’s. Each of the two will have their own special abilities such as Rodney will have higher awareness of what’s going on around him from being Del Boys lookout on the Market, and Del Boy will have the business knowledge to be able buy ‘Free Mandela’ T-Shirts 5 days before he gets freed.

Once your character has been chosen you will be a partner in Trotters Independent Traders. Your task; to try and get the company into making yourself and Rodney/Del (whoever your not playing) Mwillionires by this time next year. Sounds easy? Well it’ll be your task to discuss with your partner all business proposals and potential purchases of items such as the disastrous combination locked briefcases – with the combination locked inside.

After deciding on a purchase with a starting budget of 250 nicker, it’ll be your job to purchase some items that you think will go down a blinder in the market. If they don’t seem to sell it may be worth packing up and heading down the Nags Head to try and sell whatever you’ve bought to Boyce/Marleene, Trigger, Mike etc, before engaging in a swift half a larger, and discussing your next move.

At the end of every month you need to make sure you’ve got enough money hidden under your bed or in the telephone receiver to pay the rent, gas, electricity whilst once a year you need to make sure you’ve got enough moular to pay for your car tax/mot on your Robin Reliant and your TV licence for Granddad/Uncle Albert to carry on watching films about the war “When I was in the War…”

As you make more and more money you’ll be able to go to auctions where items of higher and higher value will be for sale, giving you the potential to make some big bucks. Occasionally though your partner may come up with a hair-brain idea to make some cash, such as Peckham spring water but it’ll be up to you if you want to go along with it. Choose to and you could make loads of money, but could get caught by the old bill. Choose not too and you could loose out on a vast amount of dough.

Throughout the game you’ll be able to upgrade items when you have enough money to give you that more businessman look. This will include better clothes, a newer car (bought from Boyce of course…hahahaha), and possible upgrade of flat from Nelson Mandela Place.

You’ll have control over what you say by a choice of different texts coming up at the bottom of the screen giving you thousands of different outcomes reminiscent of Broken Sword, and once you’ve made you Mwillion quid you would have completed the game to be given a run through of some of the best bits from Only Fools and Horses over the years.

Obviously I’d expect it to be licensed, thus enabling games developers to use the characters voices, just so that you could hear time and time again “Rodney, you plonker”
Sat 27/09/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The final episode's being shown this Christmas, so it would be easy to capitalise on it. But of course, on a very small scale. :)
Wed 24/09/03 at 23:29
Regular
"I'm Great."
That does sound like a good idea for a game but would probably have faired better about 10 years ago. Could still work now but I think some of the charm could be lost.
Mon 22/09/03 at 16:49
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Well, if you want to make a version of it on your PC, you could make a fair bit of cash selling the finished product to retro games fans.
Fri 12/09/03 at 09:59
Regular
"oaps.org"
If you ever played 'Minder' on the spectrum then you would have seen what an Only fools and horses game would have looked like at the time. all the would have been needed to do would've been to change a few location names ie. the winchester club would be the nags head, a few character names as well and change the graphic of the daimler car to a robin reliant and you would essentially have all the elements needed to have resold the game
Thu 11/09/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
There was a CD-rom from the BBc which revolved around the series, but it wasn't really like a game.

I've got a Blackadder one from the same series, and it's basically clips, games and galleries.
Wed 10/09/03 at 20:43
Regular
I thought it was made into a game.
Wed 10/09/03 at 20:41
Regular
"\\"
A good idea that nobody would buy. Good idea.
Wed 10/09/03 at 19:35
Regular
it's a terrible idea, and you can take that to the bank
Wed 10/09/03 at 11:02
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Im replying to this despite it being an old thread for 2 reasons...

1. Its a great idea.
2. You deserve some acknowledgment for the time you took to type/think it all out.

If the game idea could contain LOTS of humour just like the show AND some sub games thrown in then this could easily be a winner.

Ideas for subgames could be anything like...

Robin Reliant racing... you got to out-run the oldbill in your 3 wheeler.

Uncle Albert has to navigate his boat up the thames without sinking it by avoiding debris and other boats.

Even possibly a small beat-em-up sub game where Del and Rodney dressed as Batman and Robin have to fight off local gangs of youths...

Those are only a few ideas that i just thought of... with more time you could get many better ideas of your own...

PS: sorry for bringing up and old thread but it was worth a reply.
Sat 15/02/03 at 18:26
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Stick a pony in me pocket,
I'll fetch the suitcase from the van.
Cos if you want the best 'uns,
But you don't ask questions,
Then brother, I'm your man…

Have you ever wondered why a national treasure such as Only Fools and Horses has never been turned into a game? Granted a majority of games based on or around TV/Films haven’t shown too much potential, but Only Fools and Horses has got something no other game will have…It’ll be set in Peckham!

So set in Peckham your first job is to decide which character to play out of the flamboyant Del Boy or the genius that is Rodney Trotter with his two GCE’s. Each of the two will have their own special abilities such as Rodney will have higher awareness of what’s going on around him from being Del Boys lookout on the Market, and Del Boy will have the business knowledge to be able buy ‘Free Mandela’ T-Shirts 5 days before he gets freed.

Once your character has been chosen you will be a partner in Trotters Independent Traders. Your task; to try and get the company into making yourself and Rodney/Del (whoever your not playing) Mwillionires by this time next year. Sounds easy? Well it’ll be your task to discuss with your partner all business proposals and potential purchases of items such as the disastrous combination locked briefcases – with the combination locked inside.

After deciding on a purchase with a starting budget of 250 nicker, it’ll be your job to purchase some items that you think will go down a blinder in the market. If they don’t seem to sell it may be worth packing up and heading down the Nags Head to try and sell whatever you’ve bought to Boyce/Marleene, Trigger, Mike etc, before engaging in a swift half a larger, and discussing your next move.

At the end of every month you need to make sure you’ve got enough money hidden under your bed or in the telephone receiver to pay the rent, gas, electricity whilst once a year you need to make sure you’ve got enough moular to pay for your car tax/mot on your Robin Reliant and your TV licence for Granddad/Uncle Albert to carry on watching films about the war “When I was in the War…”

As you make more and more money you’ll be able to go to auctions where items of higher and higher value will be for sale, giving you the potential to make some big bucks. Occasionally though your partner may come up with a hair-brain idea to make some cash, such as Peckham spring water but it’ll be up to you if you want to go along with it. Choose to and you could make loads of money, but could get caught by the old bill. Choose not too and you could loose out on a vast amount of dough.

Throughout the game you’ll be able to upgrade items when you have enough money to give you that more businessman look. This will include better clothes, a newer car (bought from Boyce of course…hahahaha), and possible upgrade of flat from Nelson Mandela Place.

You’ll have control over what you say by a choice of different texts coming up at the bottom of the screen giving you thousands of different outcomes reminiscent of Broken Sword, and once you’ve made you Mwillion quid you would have completed the game to be given a run through of some of the best bits from Only Fools and Horses over the years.

Obviously I’d expect it to be licensed, thus enabling games developers to use the characters voices, just so that you could hear time and time again “Rodney, you plonker”

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.