GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"special reserves ps2 waiting list"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/09/00 at 22:44
Regular
I read with disappointment the extreme waiting list for ps2,s, come on Sony get your act together, are you really expected to wait until May to get a ps2,especially in todays cut throat market. Special reserve you should be ashamed of yourselves advertising a ten pound discount in order to get people to reserve a play station and then withdrawing the offer at the last minute, not a very good way to treat your customers, considering you strive for consumer satisfaction......any comments.............
Sun 10/09/00 at 14:31
Some VERY interesting points.

Chilled Maff wrote the PS2 was worth spending £400 pound on because of DVD playback (which I've only heard bad things about), broadband (currently unavailable in 90% of the country, or if you do have the capability you pay BT £40/month for the pleasure) and a hard drive (not with the unit, available separately for how much?).

Doesn't sound worth spending that much to me. I think I'll wait a while to see what next year brings.
Sun 10/09/00 at 14:26
I was in Toys R' Us on Friday and could have ordered a PS2 there and then, but I have come to the conclusion that it is better to wait a year or two for the price to drop and the decent games to come out. From the reviews I've read there will only be two or three games worth buying for the PS2 when it is first released.

In the meantime I'll buy a (relatively) cheap Dreamcast.

I hope I put off the woman who was stood next to me filling in the pre-order form when I was talking to their games guy, must have given her doubts if nothing else :)
Sat 09/09/00 at 23:40
I would not feel bad about spending out £400 on it, as it was only an extra £100 as you said, but for that you got 2 PS2 games and also a DVD, which is what you probably would have bought separatly anyway!

I will probably buy that £399 package if Special Reserve will put it on offer (As it might seem like Sony arranged all these packages) as it will always be worth it in the long run. I just wanted to ask, being an RPG fan (Final Fantasy and others like it) I was wondering if there will be any RPG games on the PS2 that I will be able to buy before Christmas?

If you are not all as lucky as I would (Or how I thought of myself as "Mad") on ordering it here before the 19th of March, then it might be worth it buying from Dixons if it guarantees it by Christmas. The only thing I would not like about it is that I would not get the 6 Months Interest Free Credit Option, which I would need to buy the damn thing, I could afford it now that is true, but for a few games and that Memory Card I need the time!!!

And also to update on my other message. I said about what you would get with the PS2. I have just found out that the Memory Card will NOT be included in the box, as it was going to be because of the DVD software loading, but as it has chosen the Hardware decoding, the Memory Card does not need to be included (Sony save as much as possible!) Sorry for all people I misinformed but Sony needs to update there Web Page of what comes with it!!!
Sat 09/09/00 at 15:33
Some interesting comments guys, just thought id like to add that i went to dixons yesterday, that being thursday 8th of sept and have reserved a ps2 though dixons guaranteed for delivery before christmas, so i have phoned special reserve to cancel my ps2, which incidently was ordered on 1'st of april, to be delivered for jan/feb.
its not all good news though , as dixons make you spend an extra £100 minimum on 2 games+ 1 dvd. I must be mad spending £400 on a games console.
It begs the question how much will we pay for the next generation of consoles im sure are already on the drawing board??
Sat 09/09/00 at 01:33
My PS2 I am expecting by X-Mas as I pre-ordered it on March 6th, which at the time I thought I was a bit mad maybe, but now I am glad I did it when I thought about it. The PS2 will be more than worth it, with the DVD options and the Hard Drive and Broadband Net access, that is when the PS2 will show it's true colours with the games suddenely appearing on DVD Discs, which Squaresoft will be falling over themselves to produce Final Fantasy games on, so you can imagine how good the games will then be!

I also heard a rumour going around that when they both come out, around the same time Sony are thinking of releasing a special DVD Card for the PS2 which will let it produce visual and audio that will rival High-End DVD Players, but then again, Sony did not release on how much this Card will cost, as they have not thought about how much money they could gain, but expect around £100 to pay for the card.

Some people might moan about Dreamcast being all good, but they all say it is cheaper, in Price and also in the Quality! PS2 games have not even rolled out yet, and people are saying the graphics are as good as the Dreamcast, but then again, there is not anyone who can foretell how good the games will look in a few years time, they will be ultra sharp, and will rival all other consoles!
Fri 08/09/00 at 22:18
Mad rush in the shops when all PS2's would already have been sold? What a feeble excuse for a shambles!

I was under the impression that the tenner offer was something Special Reserve were doing over and above the pre-order, maybe I'm wrong.

I think I'll buy a Dreamcast plus five games for 170 quid, much better value.
Fri 08/09/00 at 18:28
According to the Radio (radio1) today, a Sony bigwig PR bloke stated that the reason they were selling the PS2 this way was so that there wasn't a mad rush at the shops at christmas (with parents trying to kill each other!) and that at least some people who ordered early would be guaranteed a console. Plus, I've heard that prices will stay the same till easter (which is when the next batch of PS2's will be ready by the sound of it!!!)
I thought that the mad christmas rush was the whole idea anyway, they can stick it in the paper, it looks good for the console and gets press. Sony want to look organised I guess, but I can't help thinking there's something else behind this idea.
Fri 08/09/00 at 03:05
I totally agree with you there. Special Reserve at first offered the £10 Voucher because it thought in good faith that Sony had stated this, but then Sony has let Special Reserve down, so it is not this is NOT Reserves fought! At least Reserve gave everyone the option to Pre-Order from March, which I did on March the 6th, so I will be playing one in time for Christmas! I just wondered if Reserve are going to offer the "Entertainment" Packages like Dixons are offering, any thoughts???
Fri 08/09/00 at 02:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The thing to bear in mind here is that it's not just Special Reserve and its customers that have been let down by Sony, it is everyone that distributes Sony's products. Not only are a great many of these middle-men companies going to suffer long and hard through the long Christmas months, with much, much leaner than expected sales, but many will go under all together.

At least Special Reserve et al. offered the service to it's customers, which a lot of other outlets, but to be fair not that many, didn't. It's not your supplier you should get mad at, it's Sony. (Hereinafter referred to as ItsSony Money Lads).
Thu 07/09/00 at 23:14
Ratty wrote:
> I read with disappointment the extreme waiting list for ps2,s,
> come on Sony get your act together, are you really expected to
> wait until May to get a ps2,especially in todays cut throat
> market. Special reserve you should be ashamed of yourselves
> advertising a ten pound discount in order to get people to reserve
> a play station and then withdrawing the offer at the last minute,
> not a very good way to treat your customers, considering you
> strive for consumer satisfaction......any comments.............

The ten quid thing is what really annoys me too. Special Reserve told us that this was GUARANTEED. Maybe someone from the company would like to tell us what their definition of the word guaranteed actually is. At the moment I'm considering taking the information to the Trading Standards authorities to see what they make of it.

It says at the top of this screen "why buy from us". Bloody good question, I can't think of a reason to do so if that's how they do business!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.