GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamcast Will not be the "One""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/09/00 at 20:20
Regular
I love the Dreamcast, it has excellent Graphics, some very good titles, and even more impressive tiltes to come, but I dont think Segas Baby will be the Future of gaming. The whole concept of the Sega Dreamcast was to pull Sega out of financial crisis. It may have rocketed Shares in the Nasdaq, but I feel it has not made as big of an impact in the Gaming Industry as some might have hoped. The problem many people say is bringing it out too early. It gave the other companies such as Sony and Nintendo to compare to what Sega was doing, look at things in a new perspective, and improve upon the dreamcast. An example, Sega spent time and money developing a new ROM drive, while Nintendo, Sega, and even Microsoft decided to upgrade to a DVD drive. This is the next big thing in storage as we all know, and even Home entertainment concepts. I feel sorry for Sega because I know the Dreamcast is a very good console, but it does not seem to have that little bit of Edge as some of the others do. I dont think we should be dressing in black and mourning for the old DC, but look foward to some fine pieces of Software coming out, and watch the Dreamcast go out in style!
Fri 08/09/00 at 20:33
I think Dreamcast has been doubted more than it should be. I thought it looked and sounded really rubbish when I first saw it. Sega has been known too have its flaws in the past but this time they struck gold. The graphics are astonishing, the sound is good and all the images look great. I still wouldn't buy one though as I am waiting for the ultimate console too arrive, not the Playstation 2, Game Cube or X-Box but some far off console, years away yet. I think every one is rushing in too fast and they should calm down and wait for a while as consoles continually replace other consoles. Wait for the virtual reallity systems too come and the 3D colour Holograms, or even 4D- having movements and feedbacks put into your whole body. Like a Sidewinder joystick but the force applys to you as a whole.

A great idea would be too have a game that you interact with, it thinks too oppose your thoughts, like resident evil except it thinks too counter your moves and blasts. The game alters itself continually too form almost real life choices.WAIT!!
Fri 08/09/00 at 19:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'll take that as a "No" then?

Dreamcast is only doomed because Sega cannot keep their act together, all consoles will be redundant in the next year or two. I've been playing since the early 80's and am used to seeing formats come and go, but Sega have always been the worst at it, releasing new platforms too early in the day and letting the competition beat them each time.

Still got your Megadrive? I know I haven't, after the PS came along the MD went out the window along with the 80 odd games I had built up, because the graphics just looked so bad compared to the newer titles. I admit that some of the old games were unique in their playability stakes, and that we all have our favorite format and game genre, but Sega just won't be able to keep up with the market leader Sony, and if Sega are still in the gaming arena in about 10 years time I will be amazed.
Fri 08/09/00 at 19:14
totally agree, im sick of people mocking the dreamcast, it rules, it has the best games and hardware which is well better than any other console, and people come out with this s**t saying its no good!
they dont now anything about the dreamcast, because if they did they wouldnt mock it!
Fri 08/09/00 at 19:09
People like you pee me off when you say the DC is dead and that it will go out in a bang you really dont know what you are talking about,Let me get this correct it has not been out a year yet ,its going to die,lol,it has the best games on the market with virtua Tennis and Soul cALIBur Yeah it is going to die,It has the best software line up EVER including the ps2 and whatever you count as next generation,i toatlly agree it will flop lol note:I m laughing,it has been classified as the most popular launch of any piece of hardware ever,ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm YES IT WILL,The N64 is still out and was not perticuly popular but it is still chugging out quality games,I dont know what you classify a flop when it has sold 800,000 in europe ans well over a million in USA you are so wrong to everybody who wants a super console with the best games ever seen on a system get a DReamcast or you will see the happy sega owners skippimg merrily down the street knowing for a fact that there is some german planning to kill him in Quake 3 tonight and by the way there jon and roz there is onlu one slim shady.
Fri 08/09/00 at 11:38
Regular
And if you are wondering why the tone of bitterness resounds throughout my last comments, it's because, yes, I admit it, I did purchase the Sega CD add-on way back in the early 90's. Anyone want to buy it?
Fri 08/09/00 at 01:26
Regular
The DC does not have a hope of dying gracefully I'm afraid to say, because those clever boffins at Sega will bring out the DC SEGA DVD-ADD-on unit, that sits on a tray, onto which, try as you might you will never get the original DC to sit, so that every time you insert a DVD it will wobble just enough to crash any games running.

At the same time, developers will pull out and start programming for the MiniDisk units that Nintendo and Sony bring out which just clip into the spare port of their new consoles, and the SEGA DVD-ADD-on unit will be released with great fanfare and one game, then SEGA will crash out of the stockmarket all together with Spyroesque gracefullness, leaving you with this 400 quid piece of kit and one game and no instructions. Perhaps the word "graceful" loses something in the Japanese translation of the word?
Thu 07/09/00 at 20:30
Hi
Thu 07/09/00 at 20:25
well done my son you have the know and dont take no sh it from big
D ildo (what happened to winning eeh)
Thu 07/09/00 at 20:20
I love the Dreamcast, it has excellent Graphics, some very good titles, and even more impressive tiltes to come, but I dont think Segas Baby will be the Future of gaming. The whole concept of the Sega Dreamcast was to pull Sega out of financial crisis. It may have rocketed Shares in the Nasdaq, but I feel it has not made as big of an impact in the Gaming Industry as some might have hoped. The problem many people say is bringing it out too early. It gave the other companies such as Sony and Nintendo to compare to what Sega was doing, look at things in a new perspective, and improve upon the dreamcast. An example, Sega spent time and money developing a new ROM drive, while Nintendo, Sega, and even Microsoft decided to upgrade to a DVD drive. This is the next big thing in storage as we all know, and even Home entertainment concepts. I feel sorry for Sega because I know the Dreamcast is a very good console, but it does not seem to have that little bit of Edge as some of the others do. I dont think we should be dressing in black and mourning for the old DC, but look foward to some fine pieces of Software coming out, and watch the Dreamcast go out in style!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.