GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The LIVE Maze .."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/02/03 at 18:59
Regular
Hmmm... i've a massive interest in getting Xbox LIVE setup, but there are so many complications!

First of all, my understanding through the Xbox LIVE website is that AOL Broadband is not compatible with the system (TYPICAL of AOL i'm sure any current subscribers will agree). So, my understanding is that there's just no way I can use Xbox LIVE with AOL. This is frustrating as I don't really want to lose my AOL account, and can't afford to keep it as well as a new Broadband connection to another provider.

So, is that really the case? Is it really a case of "GET A NEW CONNECTION OR FORGET ABOUT XBOX LIVE" ? I can only assume so, but hope that somehow there is a way around it.

Secondly, a problem i'm sure a LOT of people are having. I'm fairly alright with technical things, but as i've never had too much experiance with Broadband before, i'm not sure how this thing works.

Basically, I want to be able to have Broadband in my study so I can go online with my PC, but also in my living room to use Xbox LIVE. If I get it installed in my living room, am I then able to simply get an extension lead from my PC to the connecion port or something?

Thanks a lot guys ...
Sun 16/02/03 at 20:59
"slightlyshortertagl"
As my dad uses AOL for his business email we have 'downgraded' our account to something like £5/month.. that's basically the whole AOL servie but if you were to connect through a dial-up it would mean dialling an 0845 number. But that isn't a problem, with a lil bit of fiddling with AOL you can make it connect through your own BB provider.
Sun 16/02/03 at 20:12
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Yes, it is available in my area.

Checked that WAY back (would've been kinda embarrasing to go through this whole debacle and then find out Broadband wasn't even available!)
Sun 16/02/03 at 20:01
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
ADH wrote:
> Well, Xbox.com actually says that AOL Broadband doesn't work with Xbox LIVE at the moment.

Hopefully in time for Mrch 14th when Xbox Live goes public, all should be well. You could hold out untill the problem is fixed. Thats a shame and you would expect a big company like aol to be on the ball with something like this.

One more thing, is broadband available in your area? If not then the party's over.
Sun 16/02/03 at 19:54
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
ADH wrote:
> Basically, I want to be able to have Broadband in my study so I can go online with my PC, but also in my living room to use Xbox LIVE. If I get it installed in my living room, am I then able to simply get an extension lead from my PC to the connecion port or something?

I've just re read your initial post and I think you are muddled up.

Broadband(ADSL) come through your ordinary everyday BT telephone line its just you need to buy a special modem (usually connected to a usb port) and get your line "activated" to recieve broadband speeds. No dodgy connection guy needs to come and bash holes in your wall for a broadband socket.

For cable broadband I don't know much about that sorry. you could always check sites on the internet for more information.

Just get the phone line in your study or wherever activated and then get a long ethernet cable to run from your pc to your xbox.

Hope this helps.
Sun 16/02/03 at 19:51
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Mantis wrote:
> AHD wrote This is frustrating as I don't really want to lose my AOL
> account, and can't afford to keep it as well as a new Broadband
> connection to another provider.
>
> AOL, any broadband provider should work. It would list the ones with
> problems, if any, on xbox.com. Why would it be such a problem to
> change provider anyway if it has to be so?
>
> In regards to connection set up, you can connect a ethernet cable from
> your PC to the xbox to get online, or if you don't want to have your
> PC on when playing your xbox you can opt to go for a router
> connection. Again Xbox.com explains all.

Well, Xbox.com actually says that AOL Broadband doesn't work with Xbox LIVE at the moment. I wouldn't mind changing to a new provider, but as my Dad uses the AOL account as his business email, ideally I want to stick with them.
Sun 16/02/03 at 19:41
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
AHD wrote This is frustrating as I don't really want to lose my AOL account, and can't afford to keep it as well as a new Broadband connection to another provider.

AOL, any broadband provider should work. It would list the ones with problems, if any, on xbox.com. Why would it be such a problem to change provider anyway if it has to be so?

In regards to connection set up, you can connect a ethernet cable from your PC to the xbox to get online, or if you don't want to have your PC on when playing your xbox you can opt to go for a router connection. Again Xbox.com explains all.
Sun 16/02/03 at 18:59
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Hmmm... i've a massive interest in getting Xbox LIVE setup, but there are so many complications!

First of all, my understanding through the Xbox LIVE website is that AOL Broadband is not compatible with the system (TYPICAL of AOL i'm sure any current subscribers will agree). So, my understanding is that there's just no way I can use Xbox LIVE with AOL. This is frustrating as I don't really want to lose my AOL account, and can't afford to keep it as well as a new Broadband connection to another provider.

So, is that really the case? Is it really a case of "GET A NEW CONNECTION OR FORGET ABOUT XBOX LIVE" ? I can only assume so, but hope that somehow there is a way around it.

Secondly, a problem i'm sure a LOT of people are having. I'm fairly alright with technical things, but as i've never had too much experiance with Broadband before, i'm not sure how this thing works.

Basically, I want to be able to have Broadband in my study so I can go online with my PC, but also in my living room to use Xbox LIVE. If I get it installed in my living room, am I then able to simply get an extension lead from my PC to the connecion port or something?

Thanks a lot guys ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.