GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Biohazard"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 16:45
Regular
The original Resident Evil title was never intended to run into a full blown series, it appeared on the Sega Saturn, Playstation (in 2 forms both Resident Evil and Directors cut) and on the PC, it was also planned for a release on the Gameboy Colour (this title was later canned). The games response was huge so Capcom went about working on another title for the Playstation, Resident Evil 1.5, this title for one reason or another got canned and later evolved into Resident Evil 2. Although some argue not as good as the original, Resident Evil 2 was such a huge graphical improvement on its predecessor it was outstanding, the original employed actors to appear at the beginning and end and the textures and detail around the mansion was poor this time the detail was amazing and the beginning and end were FMV’s and so Resident Evil 2 was also a smash hit. Resident Evil 2 appeared on the Playstation, PC, N64 and Dreamcast and featured 2 new characters Clair Redfield (Sister of Chris Redfield from the original) and Leon S. Kennedy.

Resident Evil 3 therefore followed and looked very similar to Resident Evil 2 although this title was praised to be much, much better. For the first time you can only control one character through the game and not choose between 2 at the beginning, as has been the case before. This made the title much bigger, it featured Jill Valentine from the original adventure and her quest to escape Raccoon City. This adventure was set before and after Resident Evil 2 and featured the S.T.A.R.S killer Nemesis. This title appeared on the Playstation, the PC and the Dreamcast (looks like SEGA got them all) and was heralded as the best Resident Evil title, for a time at least. It wasn’t long before Spin offs from the Resident Evil series soon appeared one entitled Resident Evil: Survivor, this time you played Resident Evil in a House of the Dead esq. light gun first person mode. The title was disappointingly short and the graphics were the worse a Resident Evil title has ever produced, this title will get a sequel in the form of Resident Evil Code Veronica Gun survivor 2 due on the PS2, Resident Evil Gun Survivor only appeared on the Playstation 1 (and that’s how it should stay).

The next Resident Evil title was next generation and came in the form of Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Planned as a Dreamcast exclusive Code Veronica was without a doubt the best Resident Evil title, with graphics to die for and a game so huge it would take you weeks to complete. Resident Evil: Code Veronica though was never entirely finished and so re-appeared on the Playstation 2 this time with the name Resident Evil: Code Veronica x, a title generally the same as the original but with a few additions here and there, Code Veronica X also appeared on the Dreamcast but was only ever released in Japan. The next Resident Evil game was again a spin off from the other titles, Resident Evil: Gaiden appeared on the Gameboy Colour a month back, despite poor reviews the game is actually quite fun despite the odd system Capcom have tried to implement, the game features Barry Burton someone who has never been playable but starred heavily in the original Resident Evil and Leon S. Kennedy who has been mentioned in both Code Veronica and Survivor but hasn’t had a starring role since Resident Evil 2. But N64 fans of the Resident Evil series including myself were quiet disappointed, SEGA have managed to get all major Resident Evil titles on their system whilst the N64 had one?

Yet as well all know that disappointment vanished September of 2001 when the entire Resident Evil series became exclusive to the Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube was to receive a brand new version of Resident Evil 1, enhanced versions of Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Code Veronica and new titles in the form of Resident Evil 4 and 0. Now I’ve had enough of laughing at Playstation fans (although only the other day I couldn’t help but chuckle at a Playstation magazine letter saying Resident Evil remade looks just like a movie is it coming to the PS2?). Now its time to sit back and look at what is another epic title in the making. Resident evil or Biohazard as it is called in Japan will sell a millions of Gamecube’s, a title that is popular worldwide (particularly in the land of the rising sun) and a title that has the best graphics seen on any system anywhere.

Resident Evil is not a simple port of the Playstation version with nicer graphics, which die-hard Playstation fans have been saying. For starters these “nicer” graphics are so amazing your jaw will drop, once upon a time the original mansion was a little spooky now it is just pathetically lame since the new title has developed its new gothic darker look, the room could be pitch black, a bolt of lighting from outside lights the room, you see a zombie but then it goes dark again. Atmospheric at its best, the areas, which you will remember from the original, will be hardly recognizable. Yes the title is pre-rendered but the lighting effects and characters are real and all add to the games overall feel, the music, which is always vital for any game especially a horror game, is being scored by none other than Marilyn Manson. This all goes to prove that after the release of this title the horror genre will never be the same again. It isn’t just the graphics though, the title is said to be 50% bigger than the original, and do you all remember the cut scene where the S.T.A.R.S team run to the mansion through a forest? Well that isn’t a cut scene any more it is actually playable. This title is due out in Japan in March and in the US very soon after, says series director Shinji Mikami (who has just finished the superb Devil May Cry). If he is content to release the title worldwide as soon as possible expect a European release in the summer.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 isn’t being remade to the same extent as one, the fact is one was never a really detailed game and Resident Evil 2 and 3 always have been so when it comes to graphical improvements the amount of work needed to be implemented is not as high, we still hope to see those spooky lighting effects used to great effect though and expect minor upgrades in certain departments, perhaps an extra puzzle or two or maybe a new boss. Resident Evil: Code Veronica is also not to be upgraded to the same effect as Resident Evil 1 but this title is already a next generation game so there is no need for it to be, this title is the Playstation 2 title not the Dreamcast one and I would also expect slight additions to the title and again I hold out hope for the lighting effect witnessed in the original. These titles will be polished and improved so you will be able to spot a significant difference between the Gamecube version and the Playstation ones says Mikami.

Despite the excitement building around Resident Evil 1 the world has somehow forgotten about Resident Evil 4, the title originally destined for the PS2 is also a Gamecube exclusive but this time we have no idea what to expect, no screenshot has been leaked, no storyline has been presented, we could have the return of Rebecca, a title starring Jill Valentine? Maybe Barry, Leon or Chris will appear, quiet frankly we don’t have a clue but I’d expect graphics to surpass or at least equal that of the re-made Resident Evil 1 and a game bigger than them all. Resident Evil 0 meanwhile we have more information on, it features Rebecca who was part of the first STARS team sent to the mansion, she ends up investigating a train, we also have screenshots for this game but this is from the N64 version not the Gamecube title. The game that is set before all the others was some way into development before being shipped to the Gamecube and it was expected as an early release now it seems that the title will appear after Resident Evil 4, therefore this title has been in development now for some time. What are Capcom up to with regards this one?

The future of Resident Evil is a bright one; at last there is no need to change between systems in order to enjoy the entire series and the games now look like high budget Horror films. These games go right next to Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Perfect Dark as the Gamecube’s biggest titles. It also proves Nintendo have got plenty of third party support and for all you Nintendo bashers out there…

Is Nintendo still childish?

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:45
Regular
The original Resident Evil title was never intended to run into a full blown series, it appeared on the Sega Saturn, Playstation (in 2 forms both Resident Evil and Directors cut) and on the PC, it was also planned for a release on the Gameboy Colour (this title was later canned). The games response was huge so Capcom went about working on another title for the Playstation, Resident Evil 1.5, this title for one reason or another got canned and later evolved into Resident Evil 2. Although some argue not as good as the original, Resident Evil 2 was such a huge graphical improvement on its predecessor it was outstanding, the original employed actors to appear at the beginning and end and the textures and detail around the mansion was poor this time the detail was amazing and the beginning and end were FMV’s and so Resident Evil 2 was also a smash hit. Resident Evil 2 appeared on the Playstation, PC, N64 and Dreamcast and featured 2 new characters Clair Redfield (Sister of Chris Redfield from the original) and Leon S. Kennedy.

Resident Evil 3 therefore followed and looked very similar to Resident Evil 2 although this title was praised to be much, much better. For the first time you can only control one character through the game and not choose between 2 at the beginning, as has been the case before. This made the title much bigger, it featured Jill Valentine from the original adventure and her quest to escape Raccoon City. This adventure was set before and after Resident Evil 2 and featured the S.T.A.R.S killer Nemesis. This title appeared on the Playstation, the PC and the Dreamcast (looks like SEGA got them all) and was heralded as the best Resident Evil title, for a time at least. It wasn’t long before Spin offs from the Resident Evil series soon appeared one entitled Resident Evil: Survivor, this time you played Resident Evil in a House of the Dead esq. light gun first person mode. The title was disappointingly short and the graphics were the worse a Resident Evil title has ever produced, this title will get a sequel in the form of Resident Evil Code Veronica Gun survivor 2 due on the PS2, Resident Evil Gun Survivor only appeared on the Playstation 1 (and that’s how it should stay).

The next Resident Evil title was next generation and came in the form of Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Planned as a Dreamcast exclusive Code Veronica was without a doubt the best Resident Evil title, with graphics to die for and a game so huge it would take you weeks to complete. Resident Evil: Code Veronica though was never entirely finished and so re-appeared on the Playstation 2 this time with the name Resident Evil: Code Veronica x, a title generally the same as the original but with a few additions here and there, Code Veronica X also appeared on the Dreamcast but was only ever released in Japan. The next Resident Evil game was again a spin off from the other titles, Resident Evil: Gaiden appeared on the Gameboy Colour a month back, despite poor reviews the game is actually quite fun despite the odd system Capcom have tried to implement, the game features Barry Burton someone who has never been playable but starred heavily in the original Resident Evil and Leon S. Kennedy who has been mentioned in both Code Veronica and Survivor but hasn’t had a starring role since Resident Evil 2. But N64 fans of the Resident Evil series including myself were quiet disappointed, SEGA have managed to get all major Resident Evil titles on their system whilst the N64 had one?

Yet as well all know that disappointment vanished September of 2001 when the entire Resident Evil series became exclusive to the Nintendo Gamecube. The Gamecube was to receive a brand new version of Resident Evil 1, enhanced versions of Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and Code Veronica and new titles in the form of Resident Evil 4 and 0. Now I’ve had enough of laughing at Playstation fans (although only the other day I couldn’t help but chuckle at a Playstation magazine letter saying Resident Evil remade looks just like a movie is it coming to the PS2?). Now its time to sit back and look at what is another epic title in the making. Resident evil or Biohazard as it is called in Japan will sell a millions of Gamecube’s, a title that is popular worldwide (particularly in the land of the rising sun) and a title that has the best graphics seen on any system anywhere.

Resident Evil is not a simple port of the Playstation version with nicer graphics, which die-hard Playstation fans have been saying. For starters these “nicer” graphics are so amazing your jaw will drop, once upon a time the original mansion was a little spooky now it is just pathetically lame since the new title has developed its new gothic darker look, the room could be pitch black, a bolt of lighting from outside lights the room, you see a zombie but then it goes dark again. Atmospheric at its best, the areas, which you will remember from the original, will be hardly recognizable. Yes the title is pre-rendered but the lighting effects and characters are real and all add to the games overall feel, the music, which is always vital for any game especially a horror game, is being scored by none other than Marilyn Manson. This all goes to prove that after the release of this title the horror genre will never be the same again. It isn’t just the graphics though, the title is said to be 50% bigger than the original, and do you all remember the cut scene where the S.T.A.R.S team run to the mansion through a forest? Well that isn’t a cut scene any more it is actually playable. This title is due out in Japan in March and in the US very soon after, says series director Shinji Mikami (who has just finished the superb Devil May Cry). If he is content to release the title worldwide as soon as possible expect a European release in the summer.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 isn’t being remade to the same extent as one, the fact is one was never a really detailed game and Resident Evil 2 and 3 always have been so when it comes to graphical improvements the amount of work needed to be implemented is not as high, we still hope to see those spooky lighting effects used to great effect though and expect minor upgrades in certain departments, perhaps an extra puzzle or two or maybe a new boss. Resident Evil: Code Veronica is also not to be upgraded to the same effect as Resident Evil 1 but this title is already a next generation game so there is no need for it to be, this title is the Playstation 2 title not the Dreamcast one and I would also expect slight additions to the title and again I hold out hope for the lighting effect witnessed in the original. These titles will be polished and improved so you will be able to spot a significant difference between the Gamecube version and the Playstation ones says Mikami.

Despite the excitement building around Resident Evil 1 the world has somehow forgotten about Resident Evil 4, the title originally destined for the PS2 is also a Gamecube exclusive but this time we have no idea what to expect, no screenshot has been leaked, no storyline has been presented, we could have the return of Rebecca, a title starring Jill Valentine? Maybe Barry, Leon or Chris will appear, quiet frankly we don’t have a clue but I’d expect graphics to surpass or at least equal that of the re-made Resident Evil 1 and a game bigger than them all. Resident Evil 0 meanwhile we have more information on, it features Rebecca who was part of the first STARS team sent to the mansion, she ends up investigating a train, we also have screenshots for this game but this is from the N64 version not the Gamecube title. The game that is set before all the others was some way into development before being shipped to the Gamecube and it was expected as an early release now it seems that the title will appear after Resident Evil 4, therefore this title has been in development now for some time. What are Capcom up to with regards this one?

The future of Resident Evil is a bright one; at last there is no need to change between systems in order to enjoy the entire series and the games now look like high budget Horror films. These games go right next to Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Perfect Dark as the Gamecube’s biggest titles. It also proves Nintendo have got plenty of third party support and for all you Nintendo bashers out there…

Is Nintendo still childish?

Here’s to the future

Dringo.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:59
"You love us!"
Are you SURE Res Evil was released on the Sega Saturn?
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:06
yeah it was i'm sure of it...
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:48
"You love us!"
hmmm, okay! i'll take your word for it!

Great series of games - looking forward to seeing the GC version!
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:09
Regular
"Back For Good"
Good post there Dringo, nothing i didn't know already but still a good read. few things to point out though :-)

marilyn manson is doing the soundtrack of the film (Resident Evil:Genesis) not the remake. Resident evil 4 was originally planned to have an umbrella agent as the star titled "umbrella rising" but in an interview Shinji Mikami said he'd now scrapped the idea, I think it was in OPS2M. RE1.5 really is quite brilliant but the closest you'll ever get to it is a trial edition of resident evil 2, although now capcom are remaking the series elements of the unreleased game may be included,I hope so :-D

The future is very bright for the series ;-)
Wed 09/01/02 at 21:36
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
A very good post Dringo. The Resident Evil series is one of my favourite game series. I was going to get a GC anyway but, because of RE being GC i'll be getting a GC this summer.

Resident Evil 1.5 started out as RE2, but I think one of the major team members left. So they canned it and began it all over again.
Wed 09/01/02 at 21:49
Regular
Oh yeah... DOH! I knew that.
Wed 09/01/02 at 21:55
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah... DOH! I knew that.

Referring to what Resi said :D
Thu 10/01/02 at 03:55
Not being a big Nintendo/Gamecube fan i was amased when i saw screen shots and clips from the remake of the Resident Evil game that Cpacom are going to release on the Gamecube.

Anyway from what i've read on the net from various Resi Evil fansites the script for the film is suppose to be awful! Which to be honest with you doen't surprise me, after all the guy directing the film also did the Mortal Kombat film as well!

Darkreaper
Thu 10/01/02 at 10:30
Regular
The first Res Evil was a mini classic, but after that I must say the rest of the series didn't impress me at all.

I don't like the fixed camera and prerendered backgrounds.
The control of the characters isn't the best.
The structure of all the games is virtually identical - I couldn't believe when in Code Veronica the game ended with the cliched "THIS FACILITY WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 5 MINUTES".

I've had enough of these games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.