GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Game Ideas"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/02/03 at 19:41
Regular
XBox gamers have already gone online, and, all things going well, PS2 and GameCube should be properly set up online within the year. No-one knows which games will trun out online. Okay, so the games compatible with XBox Live have been announced, and the main names associated with PS2’s online plans are already emerging in the form of Hardware, Socom, Final Fantasy 11 and Resident Evil Online. Well, having been a PS fan for nigh on 7 years and having been happy playing in my own little world, the thought of an online dominance in the market comes to me with mixed receptions. Well, looking on the bright side, I was thinking about what I would want in my Online games, which I would want to play, and what I would want to do. So, I picked a selection of the best games, and decided to daydream about what I could get up to in these online worlds. Hey, it beats work..

Online RPG
I have no idea which RPG this was. A cross between Summoner, Final Fantasy and the Two Towers game. Basically, I had been playing for ages and ages, and I was so powerful that nothing could beat me. I had the best weapons, the most powerful armour and the widest array of Magic. There was an Online civilisation, with a powerful King and some slightly less powerful guards. I could overthrow them all with one Magic. I could prevent people from coming anywhere near me. I could make myself invincible, and I was powerful enough to tear up the entire gaming world If I wanted to. But, I got bored. I was so powerful that people avoided me, and battles weren’t fun at all. So, I decided to become a Businessman. I travelled out of the hustle and bustle of the main world, and up ito the Mountains and forests, where few people lived. To them, I was a myth. they had heard of me, but never met me. Having very little money in the forests, they decided to mug me. So, I completely whupped them, stole all their stuff, burned down their house and went off on my business. I realised that playing as this guy would utterly rule. You could do anything and no-one could stop you. I got a little twisted, and decided to pick on a little house in the Mountains, which contained about 5 people. I set their horse free, smashed a few things about in their house and then demanded them for money. They paid, then I locked their door and set fire to each side of the house. It was at this point I realised how sick i was becoming and broke off the daydream.
Being that man would be really awesome, because you’d have the entire gaming world as your oyster. But, it would only be a matter of time before either someone matched my strength, or everyone cleared off because having me around was no fun at all. So, i decided to daydream again, and I disguised myself. I set up a shop using the money I had, and I wasn’t as violent as I could be. If someone tried to take over my shop, I’d cast a horrible spell on that person, so they’d think twice about attacking me. Anyway, being a virtual shop owner would suck, so I decided to break off from this idea.

GTA Vice City

Having an online GTA would be hard, because everyone wants to go on a rampage, and having every single person shooting each other would be just start-stop in terms of life expectancy. So, my solution - grade people, and give them abilities to match. Newcomers to the streets will only be able to hurt other nwecomers, whereas gang leaders can touch whoever they want. Also, the higher your grade, the better the weapons you can buy - no more finding Rocket Launchers conveniently left behind Hotels. This might leave the instant ‘kill all humans’ appeal of regular GTA’s, but it would leave things a lot more organised. Maybe they could even have a separate game mode, which sees all on all with powerful weapons. Although the shooting in GTA might mean this would be more suited to a different game altogether.
Anyway, how do you get up the ranks? By joining a Gang. Gang leaders are played by moderators of the online GTA world. These people will have the power to add people to Gangs, shoot anyone, be invincible to almost everyone and will be able to plan missions by using their knowledge of the game mechanics. You can be anything from a gangster who just stands on street corners to a highly ranked Getaway driver, Assassin or maybe even a right-hand man for the Gang Leader. You work your way up depending on how well you do.
I think this would be very good - living in a real community, civilised and graded to say what you can and can’t do. It would also be cool knowing that everyone you knock off their bike is a real person somewhere.
GTA is a popular franchise. Therefore, I think that there should be a limit to the amount of people in one city. If the limit is surpassed, they take orders to try and fill up another city - the same city, just repeated. Their would also have to be AI controlled people. To fill the roads with real drivers, to be the Police/Fire/Ambulance/Pizza men, and to work as Hookers, and behind the counter at shops. I think giving people jobs would be pretty rubbish, as who wants to be an assistant at a hardware store when you can be a Gangster.
This would work very well in my opinion. The only thing annoying would be the immediate limits at the start of your career. Hopefully, though, this would filter out all the people who would come on for a little while to annoy people by killing everyone, and secure the online world for people who want to treat it properly.

Smuggler’s Run 2

Just a quickie this one. Anyone who’s played the great Bomb Tag mode in Multiplayer will see how cool this could be Online. Especially with close friends - think how cool it would be to give the bomb to your best friend with only a second until it detonates. Excellent!

The Sims

“The Sims.. Online? Your just crazy!”

Metal Gear Solid 2
Right, back to the serious ideas now. MGS2 would be cool online. I think their would be a set amount of people per each playing of the storyline. People would be given a character to play as. Newbies would be Guards. However, on a judging system, if you had played by the rules for a while, you would get the chance to be Snake, Raiden, Fortune or someone else. Also, let’s say you were meant to be a Guard, patrolling an area, but instead you decided to walk around slaughtering yuor own men, thus ruining it for most people. In the next playing, you would be someone like a hostage or the Parrot in the cage. They would have to build a new Metal Gear for this - and develop a playable game from every single character’s view. In MGS2, you don’t know what Fortune got up to between fighting the SEALs and fighting you (as Raiden.) Well, in this MG, playing as Fortune would show her storyline. And so on.
This is possibly the idea that would work less well. Players would get bored easily if they had to patrol the same route, and in the storyline some guards would have something to do for, ooh, a minute? It would rock being Fortune or Snake, but playing as a mere guard would hold very little appeal. This would probably only work with dedicated, patient gamers.

Age Of Empires, and similar titles.
Think how cool it would be to be one man in a huge war. This would also be a great game for testing people’s personalities. Attention seekers would stand in the middle killing everyone. Clever people would bide their time and find cover until they found a suitable time to attack. Cowardly people would play dead or hide. Sneaky people would lay low right to the end, then get the final kill to establish themselves as heroes. And so on.

Pro Evo Master League
It would be cool if you created yourself, then trained yourself up. After a while playing in a lower, fictional team, you could be transferred up until one day you found yourself as an online Henry. People who liked the game would talk about you, and you’d have shortlived fame. This idea would be prone to fail though, as it would require every single player to play every single week, and it could easily be disrupted.

Well, my ideas are running low now, but what are your views on my ideas? Good? bad? Clever? Stupid?

Thanks for reading, if you read all of that.
Sun 16/02/03 at 19:41
Regular
XBox gamers have already gone online, and, all things going well, PS2 and GameCube should be properly set up online within the year. No-one knows which games will trun out online. Okay, so the games compatible with XBox Live have been announced, and the main names associated with PS2’s online plans are already emerging in the form of Hardware, Socom, Final Fantasy 11 and Resident Evil Online. Well, having been a PS fan for nigh on 7 years and having been happy playing in my own little world, the thought of an online dominance in the market comes to me with mixed receptions. Well, looking on the bright side, I was thinking about what I would want in my Online games, which I would want to play, and what I would want to do. So, I picked a selection of the best games, and decided to daydream about what I could get up to in these online worlds. Hey, it beats work..

Online RPG
I have no idea which RPG this was. A cross between Summoner, Final Fantasy and the Two Towers game. Basically, I had been playing for ages and ages, and I was so powerful that nothing could beat me. I had the best weapons, the most powerful armour and the widest array of Magic. There was an Online civilisation, with a powerful King and some slightly less powerful guards. I could overthrow them all with one Magic. I could prevent people from coming anywhere near me. I could make myself invincible, and I was powerful enough to tear up the entire gaming world If I wanted to. But, I got bored. I was so powerful that people avoided me, and battles weren’t fun at all. So, I decided to become a Businessman. I travelled out of the hustle and bustle of the main world, and up ito the Mountains and forests, where few people lived. To them, I was a myth. they had heard of me, but never met me. Having very little money in the forests, they decided to mug me. So, I completely whupped them, stole all their stuff, burned down their house and went off on my business. I realised that playing as this guy would utterly rule. You could do anything and no-one could stop you. I got a little twisted, and decided to pick on a little house in the Mountains, which contained about 5 people. I set their horse free, smashed a few things about in their house and then demanded them for money. They paid, then I locked their door and set fire to each side of the house. It was at this point I realised how sick i was becoming and broke off the daydream.
Being that man would be really awesome, because you’d have the entire gaming world as your oyster. But, it would only be a matter of time before either someone matched my strength, or everyone cleared off because having me around was no fun at all. So, i decided to daydream again, and I disguised myself. I set up a shop using the money I had, and I wasn’t as violent as I could be. If someone tried to take over my shop, I’d cast a horrible spell on that person, so they’d think twice about attacking me. Anyway, being a virtual shop owner would suck, so I decided to break off from this idea.

GTA Vice City

Having an online GTA would be hard, because everyone wants to go on a rampage, and having every single person shooting each other would be just start-stop in terms of life expectancy. So, my solution - grade people, and give them abilities to match. Newcomers to the streets will only be able to hurt other nwecomers, whereas gang leaders can touch whoever they want. Also, the higher your grade, the better the weapons you can buy - no more finding Rocket Launchers conveniently left behind Hotels. This might leave the instant ‘kill all humans’ appeal of regular GTA’s, but it would leave things a lot more organised. Maybe they could even have a separate game mode, which sees all on all with powerful weapons. Although the shooting in GTA might mean this would be more suited to a different game altogether.
Anyway, how do you get up the ranks? By joining a Gang. Gang leaders are played by moderators of the online GTA world. These people will have the power to add people to Gangs, shoot anyone, be invincible to almost everyone and will be able to plan missions by using their knowledge of the game mechanics. You can be anything from a gangster who just stands on street corners to a highly ranked Getaway driver, Assassin or maybe even a right-hand man for the Gang Leader. You work your way up depending on how well you do.
I think this would be very good - living in a real community, civilised and graded to say what you can and can’t do. It would also be cool knowing that everyone you knock off their bike is a real person somewhere.
GTA is a popular franchise. Therefore, I think that there should be a limit to the amount of people in one city. If the limit is surpassed, they take orders to try and fill up another city - the same city, just repeated. Their would also have to be AI controlled people. To fill the roads with real drivers, to be the Police/Fire/Ambulance/Pizza men, and to work as Hookers, and behind the counter at shops. I think giving people jobs would be pretty rubbish, as who wants to be an assistant at a hardware store when you can be a Gangster.
This would work very well in my opinion. The only thing annoying would be the immediate limits at the start of your career. Hopefully, though, this would filter out all the people who would come on for a little while to annoy people by killing everyone, and secure the online world for people who want to treat it properly.

Smuggler’s Run 2

Just a quickie this one. Anyone who’s played the great Bomb Tag mode in Multiplayer will see how cool this could be Online. Especially with close friends - think how cool it would be to give the bomb to your best friend with only a second until it detonates. Excellent!

The Sims

“The Sims.. Online? Your just crazy!”

Metal Gear Solid 2
Right, back to the serious ideas now. MGS2 would be cool online. I think their would be a set amount of people per each playing of the storyline. People would be given a character to play as. Newbies would be Guards. However, on a judging system, if you had played by the rules for a while, you would get the chance to be Snake, Raiden, Fortune or someone else. Also, let’s say you were meant to be a Guard, patrolling an area, but instead you decided to walk around slaughtering yuor own men, thus ruining it for most people. In the next playing, you would be someone like a hostage or the Parrot in the cage. They would have to build a new Metal Gear for this - and develop a playable game from every single character’s view. In MGS2, you don’t know what Fortune got up to between fighting the SEALs and fighting you (as Raiden.) Well, in this MG, playing as Fortune would show her storyline. And so on.
This is possibly the idea that would work less well. Players would get bored easily if they had to patrol the same route, and in the storyline some guards would have something to do for, ooh, a minute? It would rock being Fortune or Snake, but playing as a mere guard would hold very little appeal. This would probably only work with dedicated, patient gamers.

Age Of Empires, and similar titles.
Think how cool it would be to be one man in a huge war. This would also be a great game for testing people’s personalities. Attention seekers would stand in the middle killing everyone. Clever people would bide their time and find cover until they found a suitable time to attack. Cowardly people would play dead or hide. Sneaky people would lay low right to the end, then get the final kill to establish themselves as heroes. And so on.

Pro Evo Master League
It would be cool if you created yourself, then trained yourself up. After a while playing in a lower, fictional team, you could be transferred up until one day you found yourself as an online Henry. People who liked the game would talk about you, and you’d have shortlived fame. This idea would be prone to fail though, as it would require every single player to play every single week, and it could easily be disrupted.

Well, my ideas are running low now, but what are your views on my ideas? Good? bad? Clever? Stupid?

Thanks for reading, if you read all of that.
Mon 17/02/03 at 09:37
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Metal Gear Solid and GTA wouldn't work. Firstly, MGS is a one player game not at all suited to multiplayer unless you just put in a deathmatch option...and secondly, as you said GTA would just be loads of riots. Even with gangs it'd be little more than a chat room with guns. Maybe if they set up a system where you could only allow certain members to kill you (like people in your clan) for a network-game scenario would work better.

And The Sims Online has totally bombed, apparantly. Sims: Rock Star is next on the list, where you live like a superstar. Hurrah.
Mon 17/02/03 at 17:01
Regular
I thought GTA would work in the way I put it. For example, dedicated gamers would want to spend time climbing the gaming ladder. Also, how cool would it be finally getting up to the position of Getaway Driver and getting to sit casually outside a bank, on the alert?
Mon 17/02/03 at 17:16
Regular
apparently hidgeo kojima has said that there will be a mgs online but diffrent. hes say that i could be based on the mgs2 story but it would be put on a rely difficult difficulty level so that there could only be a few winners and then tere would be a decider a possible death match maybe. i don't trhink its in developemnt, i t might be a myth but ive seen it on certian web sites in the past.
i think an onasmusha would be good like resident evil online.
crazy-ivan
Mon 17/02/03 at 17:19
Regular
Yes, but I think if we had Resident Evil Online, then Onimusha online might be seen as milking the franchise. Also, they'd be better to work on one of the titles and perfect it instead of working on two and repeating mistakes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.