GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Euro gaming query - help please?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:37
Regular
Hoping some of you knowledgeable types out there might be able to help. I'm off to work in Germany for a year, and was wondering if there'd be any impact on my gaming. With the imminent (or not) release of the Cube and the Box as well, I was wondering if I'd be better off getting a UK machine, or one in Germany, or whether there was any difference at all anyway. Also, with respect to the games, I know that most have a language selection screen as the first screen that comes up. Does this imply that all the games released across Europe are identical, so I can go ahead and buy games in Germany which will run OK (and in English) on my UK spec machine, and vice-versa?

Cheers in advance,
Jon
Thu 10/01/02 at 05:48
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Does anyone know how much the Euro is compared to the Pound? I'm asking because, consoles in the future will all be more money, or less money.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:53
Regular
"Acid Casual"
You will find equally priced games over europe. Remember their in the Euro now so if you don't mind shopping around the continent it will be fairly easy to spot cheaper games.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:50
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Aye, cheers. That's pretty much what I was expecting. Depends on prices too. If they're a shed load cheaper, I might get the machine overseas, and then get games imported from SR and the like.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:49
Regular
THe same game is released all accross Europe. THats why it always takes a bit longer for our games, gotta be translated into all the languages.

Thats why a lot of games get censored here. THey gotta comply with standards of all countries. FOr example, WWF wrestlemania 2000 on N64 had the blood removed becasue of the bloody germans!
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:44
Regular
"Acid Casual"
From my French experience most games are in English but usually the instruction books arent. I imagine its game specific though.

Even the french version of ISS has english commentary.

In regards to buying a new console, I'd get a british one as you said you're only in Germany for a year.

I only have experience of PS2 but I imagine all european games should play on all european consoles cos they're all PAL and DVD's should all be region 2.

Hope this helps.
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:37
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Hoping some of you knowledgeable types out there might be able to help. I'm off to work in Germany for a year, and was wondering if there'd be any impact on my gaming. With the imminent (or not) release of the Cube and the Box as well, I was wondering if I'd be better off getting a UK machine, or one in Germany, or whether there was any difference at all anyway. Also, with respect to the games, I know that most have a language selection screen as the first screen that comes up. Does this imply that all the games released across Europe are identical, so I can go ahead and buy games in Germany which will run OK (and in English) on my UK spec machine, and vice-versa?

Cheers in advance,
Jon

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.