GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When was the first time you went all the way?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:03
Regular
Do you remember the first time? The excitement? The sense of relief when it was all over?

Yes, do you remember the first time you completed a game? The first video game I really completed.. I think it was Super Mario Land on the gameboy. I wasn't just happy... I was over the moon. I must've been about six ot seven years old at the time. I'd played games on the Spectrum before, but they were fiendishly difficult. To actually finish this game, after the weeks (or was it longer) of solid play I put into it, it was great.

What I'm really saying here... is that when I used to complete a game, I would think "Yeah! I won!", but nowadays, I think "Bah. That was easy"

It often said that the more effort you put into something, the more you appreciate it. So I can't help feeling that those of you growing up in this age of gaming... maybe a PSX as your first console.. you're missing out on something. Something great. I'm not sure if I'm saying games are too easy these days - because I always thought games were too hard back then - but in retrospect, I appreciate that difficulty.

Completing a game is meaningless these days, and all people want to do is fast forward the credits to see if they got any 'hidden features'. It didn't used to be like that. The credits were where you bask in the glory... where you reflect on your success.

Well, I'd better stop before I get carried away. I just had to let that out of my system ;)

[Look out for more topic titles from 'VenomBytes innuendo series', coming soon to a forum near you]
Thu 10/01/02 at 01:43
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
it wasn't my fault i was drunk i really can't remember
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:51
Regular
""
The first video game I really completed.. I think it was Super Mario Land on the gameboy.

SNAP! My cousin lent it me.. he told me it was his game but years later his friend cam a knocking round my door and threatened to punch me If I didn't give him back his game. It left my cousin with a lot of explaining.
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:42
Regular
"not dead"
The first game I remember 'finishing' was Pheonix on the Atari 2600.

Though you didn't really finish Atari games, once you'd completed the final level, you just went back to the start, and through the game again, as the object was, more often than not, to gain a high score rather than reach an ending.

But yeah, I shot a big alien ship to pieces, then it went back to the first level, so I finished it.
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:39
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
bingbong wrote:
The only games since then I've felt the same level of satisfaction are the FF series.

Ah yes, far too true... The first game I completed was either Pokémon Red on the GB or Super Mario Land 2. I just basked in the glory for ages... But the credits for Pokémon still hadn't finished!
Wed 09/01/02 at 20:15
The first game i completed was Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES, was such a great feeling the only games since then i've felt the same level of satisfaction are the FF series.
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:17
Regular
"I like cheese"
Wolfenstein 3D, Episode 1 on the PC.

It was a great moment, watching the man punch the air as he ran into the extremely poorly animated night sky.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:39
Regular
"Whatever!"
Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy!! Was probably the first game I actually completed!!
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Jonman wrote:
I got Ghostbusters on a speccy emulator a while ago. Don't know if
> the emulator was a bit poo or not, but my god! What a terrible game! I used to
> love it, but it's atrocious now. Not even my high-prescription rose-tinted
> nostalgia goggles (usually proof against any amount of aging) could make it look
> good.

>You live and learn.

The Speccy version was, at the time, the C64's Ghostbusters poorer relation...
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:35
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I only recently completed the first 2 GB Marios, as i've only had a GBP for nearly 2 years, and i haven't really played it that much, untill I decided to do a DT project on a new GameBoy. Completing Donkey Kong Country, Mario Bros. 1, and Mario 64 were all great though!!
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:35
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Ghostbusters on the C64.

I was over the moon.

I got Ghostbusters on a speccy emulator a while ago. Don't know if the emulator was a bit poo or not, but my god! What a terrible game! I used to love it, but it's atrocious now. Not even my high-prescription rose-tinted nostalgia goggles (usually proof against any amount of aging) could make it look good.

You live and learn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.