GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA SP - Question relating to Overeas usage"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/02/03 at 20:23
Regular
I'm going to America in the Summer, and I suddenly thought. The GBA SP (UK) has a three pin plug (Obviously) so to use it in America, would it be possbile to use a plug adapter (Ie. A two- prong to three pin thingy) or would I have to go splash out on a step-up converter?

Another thing, do American cars have the same voltage flowing through cigarette lighters? I mean, I guess an in-car charger is in planning/ already produced so it would be helpful to know if I could use a UK one there.

Help apprechiated.
Fri 21/02/03 at 19:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I still think the Li-ion battery is a good idea, batteries are so expensive these days.
Fri 21/02/03 at 18:55
Regular
I said this when it was first announced and you all said I was wrong

IT SHOULD JUST USE NORML BATTERIES

Lithium ion batteries suck, a whole 10 hours of play before it has to be recharged, and then after a while it will only last about 8 hours, yippee.
Fri 21/02/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Microchips wrote:
> If it doesn't work, he'll pay, oh yes,
> he'll pay.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, wait.

Never mind.
Fri 21/02/03 at 17:17
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I already have a step-down converteor for my Cube, but the thing is, I want a UK one. If it breaks, I can get it fixed here, you see. My dad says it should work fine, considering the plug will actually have a transformer in it anyway. If it doesn't work, he'll pay, oh yes, he'll pay.
Fri 21/02/03 at 10:44
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
.....Or the other way around - yep, you can get step up converters too. Just take that to america with you.
Fri 21/02/03 at 10:42
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
It's no big deal.
Get one in america, then when you get back to the UK, go to Maplin or someother electrical shop and get a 240 - 110v stepdown transformer and a plug adaptor. It'll come to around a tenner.
Thu 20/02/03 at 23:31
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Magic. I got a reply from Nintendo of America stating:

"Like other electronic products, there are important electrical differences to
consider. As a result, there are safety considerations as well.

For these reasons, and others, Nintendo products have notices printed on the box
letting you know in which country the product is designed to be sold and used.
For example, the United States have "FOR SALE, RENTAL AND USE ONLY IN USA,
CANADA, MEXICO AND LATIN AMERICA" printed on the boxes.

To resolve this situation, we recommend that you contact the retail outlet where
the product will be purchased. As you can see, we don't recommend the use of
electrical products in other countries."

Great.... What's the use of having a Gameboy that's designed to be played ON THE GO when it's reccomended to leave it at home?

Congrats, Nintendo. You've buggered up. *applauds*

"There you go; I hope this helped. Thanks for your email and good luck with all
your games!"

Heh, you mean the games that I'd have liked to have played whilst in America, but nevermind. It;s going to be a long summer....

*sigh*
Tue 18/02/03 at 17:29
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Oh dear. Mixed opinions really.

Hmmm... I think an Email to Ninty is required here. Thanks though.
Tue 18/02/03 at 10:11
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My brother used a 3 pin to 2 pin adaptor in America to charge his mini-disc player, but it didnt work, there wasnt enough power running through the circuit.
Mon 17/02/03 at 23:54
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
america uses 115 V while UK uses 230-240!

my brother bought a digital camera in america, he got an adaptor from two pin to 3 pin. the camera worked ok!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.