GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soul Calibur?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soul Calibur'.
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:41
Regular
I am thinking of getting Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast yet having never played the game or seen previous installments I am unaware of what the game plays like. Please would someone explain to me how the game works and what type of fighting game it is? Does the game have fatalities or pit deaths like Mortal Kombat? Are there multiple levels to fight on like in Dead or Alive 3? Will the graphics WOW me as IGN say or do they look dated 3 years on? Any information about the game would be appreciated, thanks!
Mon 10/03/03 at 11:08
Regular
The game is nothing like any of the mortal kombats and although i like them (MK) Soulcaliber just blew my gaming world wide open and after spending nights on this game i mastered it and now still go back to play it.

The other difference between this game and mk is that you can unlock characters,movies,pictures,weapons and costumes.
You will be wowed by the graphics and you will luv fully doing the game only to go back and play again and then make your own opening sequence.

From Pal88
Mon 10/03/03 at 11:02
Regular
Hey everybody. I am new to this site and have never done this sort of thing before in my entire life.
To start with why do people think the dreamcast has fully gone. I believe to that in peoples heart the dreamcast will still live on with what was the best console ever.
It had the best games aswell including the brilliant Soul caliber to which although was easy to fully complete and unlock every secret in the game you'll find yourself always coming back for more. The graphics are a whole lot better then the Playstation version (souledge). This new one includes new characters and a whole bunch of great new modes,secrets and missions.

I will simply end this letter with the words If you have a dreamcast and love fighting games then buy soul caliber where ever you can find it.

From Pal88
Wed 19/02/03 at 16:57
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
Soul Calibur is THE diffintive beat em up of the century, well, untill number 2 comes along anyway. GC has Link, PS2 Heihachi and XBOX has Spawn?! as secret charcters. Gc has best extras. PS2 has best control for beat em ups whilst XBOX has best potential in the graphics and harddrive for potentia;ly stunning beat em ups. The decisiion is yours
Wed 19/02/03 at 11:47
Regular
"All about the Beats"
The Best beat em up ive ever played, plus it has weapons too! You wont be disapointed, also you probley getting it cheap too.
Tue 18/02/03 at 20:11
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Fantastic game! I dont really like beat em' ups that much anyway. Its very addictive and has a lot of lastability.

The graphics still dont look dated (well... in comparison to DOA3 they do), it looks just as good as some of the more recent Tekken games.

The only gripe with Soul Calibur, is the fact that some characters are either completely under or overpowered! eg. Kilik can beat the hell out of that other guy with knives as fingers.

Its still my fav beat em up of all time.
Tue 18/02/03 at 16:39
Regular
Each fighter has a unique weapon and a unique fighting style. There's Ivy who has a long whip, another young dude who uses a staff, someone else has a huge sword, someone has a sabre, etc.

Each character is fixed with their weapon, but they have load of moves [throws, kicks, etc] and special moves which always involves their weapon.
Tue 18/02/03 at 15:58
Regular
Thanks Nomad I am definitley going to get it. One last question, is it all weapon fighting or are there various styles like in the Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance? Thanks.
Tue 18/02/03 at 15:22
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> You say there is
> a lot to unlock, how many characters are there? Thanks.

Between about 15 to 20, maybe more.... My favourite character was MAXI - he looks like Elvis and he fights in a kind of dancing style armed with some nunchackers. :-)

The cut-scenes which can be unlocked where each fighter goes through all there moves is truly stunning.
Tue 18/02/03 at 14:12
Regular
Cheers for the replies I think I have made my mind up :) I am going to sell Splinter Cell for the Xbox as I have completed the game on both normal and hard and with the money from that I will buy myself a Freeloader (to play import GameCube games) and a copy of Soul Calibur. I am a big fan of Dead or Alive 3 and if you are comparing it to that then I am sure there is room for it in my collection. You say there is a lot to unlock, how many characters are there? Thanks.
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:59
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
Buy it. It is the best DC beat 'm' up by far and you won't be disapointed. Stunning.

BB

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.