GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"REZ - 'A Breath Of Fresh Air.'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/02/03 at 14:05
Regular
It was a good 6 months ago, and I was eagerly awaiting the release of a game called Rez. Originally planned for release on Dreamcast, it was also released on the Playstation 2. The level of anticipation for it (in my view) was quite high. However, after reading a few reviews of it and seeing a few screenshots of it, I was slightly put off. To be honest, I was very put off. My friend felt the same, we saw the screenshots and heard the information about it being some kind of,' musical shooter'. It did not seem the kind of game that appealed to me, but as usual I was wrong. I never did buy it on launch day (in fact, not many people did. Sales where not that strong) and I did regret it. It was only a few weeks ago when I started thinking about it again, repeating the same thing through my head, 'musical shooter... musical shooter'. I had never heard of anything like that in my life, and that was the attraction... something different! So I decided I would go searching for it on the internet.

A few days ago I recieved a parcel through my door, I opened it with excitement and inside was a mint copy of Rez. I had been expecting it, as I won a bid for it online. The waiting was over, but it was worth the wait.

Many people have said that Rez is a game that is a bit like Marmite, you either 'Love it' or 'Hate it'. I can clearly say, that I LOVE it. As soon as I put the disk into my Dreamcast, a huge breath of fresh air hit me. Rez is unlike ANY game I have played in my life. It is addictive yet fairly challenging at the same time. It is so hard to describe this game, but it is one which I immediately fell in love with. What is even more strange, is that after 5 minutes of playing this game, a smile was on my face, I was loving every minute of this remarkably original game. It has been a long time since I have felt this content and happy about a game. To put it bluntly, it strikes emotions you never knew where inside you. There is an undescribable feeling you have whilst playing this game (apart from feeling as if you are on a high).

Many of you, will look at screenshots of it on the internet, or read reviews of it, and shrug it off. I was the same, I saw the 'boring' wireframe graphics and read the reviews of it, 'not working quite as well as it should'. That's rubbish. As soon as the game starts on the first stage the whole room is filled with vibrant colours and massive spheres glowing, whilst enemies flash past you as you desperately try to target them to create a chain reaction of hits, which creates a tune that plays. Combining this tune wih the background sound adds to the unique experience even more! In my view, nothing in a game is more important than originality, and Sega have done it again. This is without doubt one of the most original games ever made. Some call it a musical shooter, others call it adventure. I call it all of those, take all the descriptions, wrap them up in one and slap them on a games disk and that is Rez.

Rez might not sell millions, in fact not many people have heard of it. But I dont want this game to go without being heard first. It is a shame few copies where made, but I recommend everyone to play this game, and to experience the delights of Rez, a unique, vibrant, addictive game that just screams for you to play it. So if you ever do come across a little known title, by the name of Rez. Dont walk by ignorant, give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but I can gauarante that it will get respect, because in a world of sequels and ports Rez really is a 'breath of fresh air.'

Thanx.
C_K
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:09
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
LL CóòL †† wrote:
The first
> two games, Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, were in the tyle of
> Rez, but Saga was definitely an RPG.

--Thats why I am getting Panzer Dragoon Orta for XBox, becasue it not only looks gorgeous, but it plays in a similar way to Rez. Panzer Dragoon Orta is the lock on shooter (im glad its not a RPG).
Fri 21/02/03 at 15:22
Regular
"bWo > You"
Console_kid wrote:
> ....Ahhh, so Rez came first. So is Rez official the first game to
> have combined music and shooting and wireframe graphics? Because I
> think Sega might have got their inspiration for it throught the Panzer
> Dragoon Saga, where it is a lock on rail shooting game.

Actually, Sega most likely got their inspiration from the legendary Space Harrier, which is virtually identical to Rez in terms of gameplay.

NB. Panzer Dragoon Saga is actually the RPG of the trilogy. The first two games, Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, were in the tyle of Rez, but Saga was definitely an RPG.
Fri 21/02/03 at 14:35
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:
> I saw someone selling a copy on eBay, the BUY NOW prices was
> £55....
>
> Probably Dreamcast? Quite hard to find and sought after on the DC...

Better version most probley
Fri 21/02/03 at 14:22
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
LL CóòL †† wrote:
> Sadly I only got a demo, but it was fantastic, and just what this
> lathargic old man needed after playing FIFA and Tomb Raider for the
> past 6 years.

--Must have been a short demo! Cos the games very short. I know what you mean, its refreshing to play something different, rather than the 'same old titles'.

....Ahhh, so Rez came first. So is Rez official the first game to have combined music and shooting and wireframe graphics? Because I think Sega might have got their inspiration for it throught the Panzer Dragoon Saga, where it is a lock on rail shooting game.

...As for 'unity', I am afraid I have never heard of that game. What system is it out on?
Fri 21/02/03 at 13:42
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Someone asked which one came first, Frequency or Rez..

It was Rez.

Also, anyone know much about 'Unity'? It looks a lot like Rez
Fri 21/02/03 at 12:31
Regular
"bWo > You"
Console_kid wrote:
> It seems as if you have played Rez.... if so, what do you think of it?

Sadly I only got a demo, but it was fantastic, and just what this lathargic old man needed after playing FIFA and Tomb Raider for the past 6 years.
Fri 21/02/03 at 11:28
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
I wonder why it goes for so much. I think few copies were made, shame really.

Has anyone seen Rez for cheaper than £55?
Fri 21/02/03 at 10:35
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Your Honour wrote:
> I saw someone selling a copy on eBay, the BUY NOW prices was
> £55....

Probably Dreamcast? Quite hard to find and sought after on the DC...
Fri 21/02/03 at 10:25
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
£55!!!!!! Do you know why its so expensive? Thats a lot fo money for a game. Is it Dreamcast of PS2?

As someone said, this forum is a bit like a review. But I dont think it will class as one because there is little information on Rez. It is really more of a description of an experience. I might post it as a review but im doubt it.

The main aim, is to get peoples opinions on Rez, which I feel deserves more credit than it actually got.
Fri 21/02/03 at 10:22
Regular
I saw someone selling a copy on eBay, the BUY NOW prices was £55....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.